Old 30-03-2004, 05:12 PM
TheScullster

Default Lawn Mower Recommendations

Is there a consensus on the best mower currently available?

We have got by for 12 years with the electric rotary type with a back box.
Now we have a slightly larger area to mow and the mrs ain't as strong as she
used to be!

We're thinking a petrol version to get away from the pesky extension leads.
The garden area is about 18m x 8m and the lawn is not overly flat.

Something not too big, definitely not mega noisy and reasonably managable
would be good.

Thanks in anticipation for links/advice etc

Phil

Old 30-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Sarah Dale

TheScullster wrote:
Is there a consensus on the best mower currently available?
We have got by for 12 years with the electric rotary type with a back box.
Now we have a slightly larger area to mow and the mrs ain't as strong as
she used to be!
We're thinking a petrol version to get away from the pesky extension
leads. The garden area is about 18m x 8m and the lawn is not overly flat.
Something not too big, definitely not mega noisy and reasonably managable
would be good.

Well, I don't know about brands, but please consider buying from a local
retailer who will support you and do the servicing.

I've had 2 electric mowers - both of which my husband bought, both brand
name makes, both bought from DIY sheds. Needless to say, when I had a
problem with them, the problem was then compounded by having to track down
the nearest authorised dealer, get the mower to the shop etc. etc.

This time round with a much bigger garden, and 50m plus of electric lead on
the old mower finally drove me mad, I bought my own lawnmower!!!

I did my research at the DIY sheds, a big local outdoor equipment suplier,
and at a local small place. You can pick up a 16inch blade petrol mower
from 99GBP (or you could at the time I bought). The mower I really fancied
was 600GBP plus!!! I ended up spending 120GBP on an 18 inch petrol rotary
mower - manual push, with grass box at the local small place. It's a brand
called Garden Master and is bright yellow. It has a Briggs & statton
engine.

What I liked about my local place was that I got to test drive it on my own
lawn! The owner of the shop bought the mower round in his van, showed me
how to use it, and let me push it up and down the mountain - sorry slope -
in my back garden. I had concerns about being able to cope with the weight
of the mower (heavier than electric) and I'd also read that you shouldn't
use petrol lawnmowers over a certain gradient - and I wasn't sure I'd get
away with my slope.

I bought the mower then and there. Even though I paid a bit more than I
might have done at a DIY shed, there are many benfits (a) the owner of the
shop is helpful (b) he'll service it and (c) he'll collect the machine from
the house and return it for you!!! (and even better, he repaired it under
warrenty without a quibble, or me having to do more than leave a message on
his answer phone!)

Another couple of comments you may wish to consider especially if it is the
lady of the house that mows the lawn (1) Weight of machine - can the user
get the machine into and out of the shed/garage/wherever it is kept (2) can
you man/woman handle it up or down any slopes that may be in your garden
(3) can you get it in the car should you have to take it somewehere for
repair / service and (4) have you got the strength / speed / flexibility of
arm to start the thing?? I imagine arthritis in the shoulder would make
starting a petrol mower a right b*gger. (Oh yes, and most seem to be set up
for right handers.......)

Strange but true story - I was out mowing the lawn last summer, when a car
stopped by me, and the driver leaned out and asked how I found the mower,
and how easy was it to start as he was considering buying a petrol mower
for his wife!!! I said fine, and explained the starting was more a question
of having the knack for it than sheer strength - and recommended he and his
wife went to see the shop I bought my mower from.

HTH,

Sarah

P.S. For those of you in Noth Wales in the Mold area, I bought my mower on
the Pinfold industrial estate, and I would be more than happy to pass on
name and contact details.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:42 AM
KeithS

"TheScullster" wrote in message

Is there a consensus on the best mower currently available?

I must agree with Sarah (above) regarding using a local retailer. Ok,
they won't be the cheapest, but you'll get good advice and service
when needed. They also try the things out before they stock them, so
have some idea if they are any good.
My personal advice would be a battery powered mower, but ask the
dealer for their advice.

KeithS