Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Steve Harris

Default Purple Spouting Broccoli - disappointment

My "Early Purple Spouting Broccoli" isn't as good as the stuff in the
greengrocers :-(

One plant is producing spindly heads while the other is doing very
short fat ones. Neither tastes of much. The growing site is a *bit*
shaded and my soil is alkaline sand, well composted and fertilised.

What's wrong?

? Last summers heatwave?
? Inferior variety?
? Really need full sun?
? Other?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 02-04-2004, 04:22 AM
Robert

Steve Harris wrote:
: My "Early Purple Spouting Broccoli" isn't as good as the stuff in the
: greengrocers :-(April the first right !!!!!
:
: One plant is producing spindly heads while the other is doing very
: short fat ones. Neither tastes of much. The growing site is a *bit*
: shaded and my soil is alkaline sand, well composted and fertilised.
:
: What's wrong?
:
: ? Last summers heatwave?
: ? Inferior variety?
: ? Really need full sun?
: ? Other?
:
: Thanks!
:
: Steve Harris - Cheltenham - Real address steve AT netservs DOT com
: A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

April the first right !!!!!

Old 02-04-2004, 04:24 AM
Steve Harris

In article ,
(Robert) wrote:

April the first right !!!!!

But somewhat after 12 noon

Old 02-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Robert

Steve Harris wrote:
: In article ,
: (Robert) wrote:
:
:: April the first right !!!!!
:
: But somewhat after 12 noon
:
: Steve Harris - Cheltenham - Real address steve AT netservs DOT com
: A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Ok well, purple doesn't always do as well as really wet years but perhaps
you don't have a light enough area???

Old 06-04-2004, 09:41 PM
quidnunc

My broccoli this year is brilliant (far better than the greengrocers!) but
last year it was spindly which I put down to dry weather during early growth
period. Do your plants look healthy - they should be large and growing
vigorously by now. My plot does get full sun. Is there more than one variety
of early purple sprouting broccoli? I've only ever seen early & late and a
new F1 hybrid, Claret which has larger heads.