Old 14-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Vicky

Default Squirrel Control

Use a Hav-a-Heart trap which is a live trap and then put a .177 pellet
into
the little devil's head. It might take a couple more to finish the

little

Where can you get these traps and are they big enough for pigeons? I have a
problem with loads of destructive pigeons in my garden and my elderly cat is
too slow off the mark to scare them off effectively. I have to confess that
I have been eyeing them up hungrily as they are rather plump and very
healthy specimens. I'm quite keen on attempting to catch some and eating
them. After all, they have got fat on eating the contents of my garden!

Is it legal to trap pigeons in this way and is there a season does anyone
know.

BTW I am lucky enough to have only red squirrels in my garden. No greys
where I live. The occasional rat likes to pay a visit attracted mainly by
spilt rabbit food which is what the pigeons came for in the first place.
The cat manages to deal with them for me tho.

And if anyone wants hints on cat control, a friend once got some tiger
droppings from the zoo where he worked and smeared them on the walls around
his garden. Put paid to any visits from the local moggies but tiger poo is
pretty smelly!

Vicky

Old 14-04-2004, 07:04 PM
redclay

Vicky wrote in message
Use a Hav-a-Heart trap which is a live trap and then put a .177

pellet
into
the little devil's head. It might take a couple more to finish the

little

Where can you get these traps and are they big enough for pigeons? I have

problem with loads of destructive pigeons in my garden and my elderly cat

is
too slow off the mark to scare them off effectively. I have to confess

that
I have been eyeing them up hungrily as they are rather plump and very
healthy specimens. I'm quite keen on attempting to catch some and eating
them. After all, they have got fat on eating the contents of my garden!

Well the local hardware store has them and for birds such as pigeons you
would need the large one which goes for about $38 US. Check out this
wonderful web for a source in your area. Place the bait on the pan but you
might have to attach it so as to cause the bird to tug at it. I have had to
release things like wrens, jays and such that try for the pecan bait I use
in the mid-size squirrel trap. As for restrictions you might have to get a
friend of yours to ask at the local courts or game office.

Old 14-04-2004, 07:04 PM
redclay

Vicky wrote in message
Well go to the site called havahart.com for all the information. I never
looked at either the box or the sliding door to check out the name.

Old 14-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Vicky" contains these words:

Where can you get these traps and are they big enough for pigeons? I have a
problem with loads of destructive pigeons in my garden and my elderly cat is
too slow off the mark to scare them off effectively. I have to confess that
I have been eyeing them up hungrily as they are rather plump and very
healthy specimens. I'm quite keen on attempting to catch some and eating
them. After all, they have got fat on eating the contents of my garden!

Address of trap vendors is somewhere ^ up there in this thread.

Is it legal to trap pigeons in this way and is there a season does anyone
know.

Quite legal. There is no season, but since they nest most of the year,
it will be difficult to avoid orphaning squeakers.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/