Old 10-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Never mind the Cats,how do I keep Kids off the garden

The message
from Jane Ransom contains these words:

In article , dave @ stejonda
writes
Howsabout going out and talking to the kids? If you introduce yourself
and stay calm and pleasant (seeing it from their POV) you're most likely
to get a positive response, and the opposite if you go out, holler at
them and plant spikey plants.

Wrong Dave, oh sooooooooooooooo wrong!

I tried that approach years ago with children (I hate the term kids,
it's insulting to goats) who used to play cricket against a lamp post
that was in line with my glass front doer. I used to talk to them
reasonably, recorded them once and asked them in to listen to themselves
and asked them if they would like to have to listen to 'that' all day
etc etc.
Result - zero.

That's unsurprising. It appears you objected to the danger to your
glass door, on the grounds that you didn't like the noise the kids were
making. Kids can't grasp that kind of logic, and neither do I :-)

(runs for six)
Janet

Old 10-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "dave @ stejonda" contains these
words:

Yes, we've got a family (thankfully 3 doors down) who are very
houseproud but who are very successfully raising yobs.

Its the testosterone in teenage boys that does it - feed them
oestrogen laced
ice creams........ :~)

The mother is as bad though Jenny. What would you suggest for her?

Almond flavour.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Curiosity contains these words:

PS

We were questioned by the kids as to why just the two of us needed to
own a five bedroomed house ???????

Did you tell them that you kept one as a study and the other three
spares so you could do excruciatingly painful experiments on nosey
children?

Old 10-04-2004, 11:04 PM
bigjon

Curiosity decided to sha

Hi all

Never mind the Cats, how do I keep Kids off the garden.
(Next doors cat has just got lost) .

I have just noticed my newly turfed front lawn criss crossed with bike
tracks (can't do the new grass much good ?) and also some broken
plants.

Its a new house and obviously the kids have been used to the house
being unoccupied and think the garden is "open range".

Any suggestions ?, how about soem QUICK GROWING spikey plants.

TIA

Paul

Just amble out there one day whilst they are about, swinging a baseball bat
in one hand and a half full bottle of gin in the other, muttering to
yourself about "getting even"....

--
War doesn't determine who is right,
war determines who is left....
Old 11-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Curiosity

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:40:25 +0100, bigjon
wrote:

Curiosity decided to sha

Hi all

Never mind the Cats, how do I keep Kids off the garden.
(Next doors cat has just got lost) .

I have just noticed my newly turfed front lawn criss crossed with bike
tracks (can't do the new grass much good ?) and also some broken
plants.

Its a new house and obviously the kids have been used to the house
being unoccupied and think the garden is "open range".

Any suggestions ?, how about soem QUICK GROWING spikey plants.

TIA

Paul

Just amble out there one day whilst they are about, swinging a baseball bat
in one hand and a half full bottle of gin in the other, muttering to
yourself about "getting even"....

Nah

I prefer a bottle of whisky ;-)

Paul

Old 11-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Curiosity

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:04:26 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Curiosity contains these words:

PS

We were questioned by the kids as to why just the two of us needed to
own a five bedroomed house ???????

Did you tell them that you kept one as a study and the other three
spares so you could do excruciatingly painful experiments on nosey
children?

Two studies, a library and a home cinema room, surprising how it all
fills up.

Now what I do need is a shed for all my gardening stuff (wife wont let
me put it in one of the bedrooms :-(

Paul
Old 11-04-2004, 09:03 AM
mich

wrote:
Any suggestions ?, how about soem QUICK GROWING spikey plants.

TIA

To answer the question. I used berberis ( spelling?) purple- green leaf
with pikes on it. Common in garden centres.
Its not necessarily that fast growing though.
I also planted a Japanese flowering quince ( a bit spiky), a load of old
rugosa roses ( thorny and fast growing - although can get out of hand ....
and can be as painful to you as to them) and a white thorn mixed hedging.

The gorse answer you got earlier is good - but I couldn't get any at the
time!

Old 11-04-2004, 09:05 AM
bigjon

Curiosity decided to sha

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:40:25 +0100, bigjon
wrote:

Curiosity decided to sha

Hi all

Never mind the Cats, how do I keep Kids off the garden.
(Next doors cat has just got lost) .

snip

Just amble out there one day whilst they are about, swinging a baseball bat
in one hand and a half full bottle of gin in the other, muttering to
yourself about "getting even"....

Nah

I prefer a bottle of whisky ;-)

Paul

Yeah, but Gin is slightly downmarket, has that "scumbag" look....

because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup....
Old 11-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
It appears you objected to the danger to your
glass door, on the grounds that you didn't like the noise the kids were
making. Kids can't grasp that kind of logic, and neither do I :-)

Spose that's because you have never had a front door in the firing
line!!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Ophelia

"bigjon" wrote in message
Curiosity decided to sha

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:40:25 +0100, bigjon
wrote:

Curiosity decided to sha

Hi all

Never mind the Cats, how do I keep Kids off the garden.
(Next doors cat has just got lost) .

snip

Just amble out there one day whilst they are about, swinging a baseball

bat
in one hand and a half full bottle of gin in the other, muttering to
yourself about "getting even"....

Nah

I prefer a bottle of whisky ;-)

Paul

Yeah, but Gin is slightly downmarket, has that "scumbag" look....

Oi! nowt wrong with a good drop of mothers' ruin

Old 11-04-2004, 06:02 PM
FF

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:25:54 +0100, Jane Ransom wrote:

In article , Janet Baraclough.
. writes
It appears you objected to the danger to your
glass door, on the grounds that you didn't like the noise the kids were
making. Kids can't grasp that kind of logic, and neither do I :-)

Spose that's because you have never had a front door in the firing
line!!!!!!

My front window is!

And a football went through it 2 days after I left on holiday last year. It was
promptly mended by the parents of one of the little culprits (who were left to sweat
it out till I got back "What's Liz going to say?" etc etc)

I love those kids playing outside my house. It makes me feel really alive and was one
of the reasons I picked a street where children could still play out. My child is
adopted and for many years I didn't think there would be children in my life at all.
If one broken window in the 6 years I've been here is the price I have to pay... then
it's cheap at twice the price. I know when I'm lucky:-)

Of course, I might feel different if it was a door;-)

Liz
Old 11-04-2004, 10:03 PM
bigjon

Ophelia decided to sha

"bigjon" wrote in message
Curiosity decided to sha

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:40:25 +0100, bigjon
wrote:

Curiosity decided to sha

Hi all

Never mind the Cats, how do I keep Kids off the garden.
(Next doors cat has just got lost) .

snip

Just amble out there one day whilst they are about, swinging a baseball

bat
in one hand and a half full bottle of gin in the other, muttering to
yourself about "getting even"....
Nah

I prefer a bottle of whisky ;-)

Paul

Yeah, but Gin is slightly downmarket, has that "scumbag" look....

Oi! nowt wrong with a good drop of mothers' ruin

hehe.....
--
I can only please one person per day.
Today is not your day.
Old 14-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Curiosity

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:02:33 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , dave @ stejonda
writes
Howsabout going out and talking to the kids? If you introduce yourself
and stay calm and pleasant (seeing it from their POV) you're most likely
to get a positive response, and the opposite if you go out, holler at
them and plant spikey plants.

Wrong Dave, oh sooooooooooooooo wrong!

I tried that approach years ago with children (I hate the term kids,
it's insulting to goats) who used to play cricket against a lamp post
that was in line with my glass front doer. I used to talk to them
reasonably, recorded them once and asked them in to listen to themselves
and asked them if they would like to have to listen to 'that' all day
etc etc.
Result - zero.
Eventually my neighbour took pity on me and yelled at them . . all sorts
of foul language and threats . . and there was no more trouble.

Caught the little sods riding bikes through the shrubbery between our
garden and the unoccupied next door this afternoon. Right says I , I
will stake each plant with sharp bamboo stakes to prevent the shrubs
being flattened, you can't do that says my wife, if the little
kiddewinks get hurt riding their bikes over your shrubs you may get
into trouble.

I hope the new neighbour turns out to be a 20 stone wrestler so I can
point out which of the little kiddewinks has flattened his new plants.

:-))

Paul