Old 10-04-2004, 07:35 AM
Curiosity

Default Never mind the Cats,how do I keep Kids off the garden

Hi all

Never mind the Cats, how do I keep Kids off the garden.
(Next doors cat has just got lost) .

I have just noticed my newly turfed front lawn criss crossed with bike
tracks (can't do the new grass much good ?) and also some broken
plants.

Its a new house and obviously the kids have been used to the house
being unoccupied and think the garden is "open range".

Any suggestions ?, how about soem QUICK GROWING spikey plants.

TIA

Paul
Old 10-04-2004, 08:34 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Curiosity
writes

Never mind the Cats, how do I keep Kids off the garden.
(Next doors cat has just got lost) .

I have just noticed my newly turfed front lawn criss crossed with bike
tracks (can't do the new grass much good ?) and also some broken
plants.

Its a new house and obviously the kids have been used to the house
being unoccupied and think the garden is "open range".

Howsabout going out and talking to the kids? If you introduce yourself
and stay calm and pleasant (seeing it from their POV) you're most likely
to get a positive response, and the opposite if you go out, holler at
them and plant spikey plants.

--
dave @ stejonda

"To materialist eyes, India is a developing country;
to spiritual eyes, the United States is a developing country."
Ram Dass
Old 10-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Mike

"Curiosity" wrote in message
Hi all

Never mind the Cats, how do I keep Kids off the garden.
(Next doors cat has just got lost) .

I had a similar sort of situation whereby the pea gravel I put down outside
my garage was a super place for the kids to do wheelies and skids. A very
polite word with the parents did the trick. Kids were OK after that ;-)

Mike
--
H.M.S.Newfoundland Association Reunion Hayling Island April 23rd - 26th
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th

Old 10-04-2004, 09:03 AM
mich

"Mike" wrote in message

"Curiosity" wrote in message
Hi all

Never mind the Cats, how do I keep Kids off the garden.
(Next doors cat has just got lost) .

I had a similar sort of situation whereby the pea gravel I put down

outside
my garage was a super place for the kids to do wheelies and skids. A very
polite word with the parents did the trick. Kids were OK after that ;-)

Depends on your neighbours. I asked mine , ( ex ones now) very very
nicely to stop the kids using my front rockery as a slide . The response was
the kids slashed all four of my car tyres on my drive.

I moved out. needless to say that I suppose.

Old 10-04-2004, 09:03 AM
mich

"mich" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

"Curiosity" wrote in message
Hi all

Never mind the Cats, how do I keep Kids off the garden.
(Next doors cat has just got lost) .

I had a similar sort of situation whereby the pea gravel I put down

outside
my garage was a super place for the kids to do wheelies and skids. A

very
polite word with the parents did the trick. Kids were OK after that ;-)

Depends on your neighbours. I asked mine , ( ex ones now) very very
nicely to stop the kids using my front rockery as a slide . The response

was
the kids slashed all four of my car tyres on my drive.

I moved out. needless to say that I suppose.

Afterthought - the neighbour concerned were themselves very garden proud (
and houseproud for that matter).

Old 10-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Curiosity

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:07:04 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Curiosity
writes

Never mind the Cats, how do I keep Kids off the garden.
(Next doors cat has just got lost) .

I have just noticed my newly turfed front lawn criss crossed with bike
tracks (can't do the new grass much good ?) and also some broken
plants.

Its a new house and obviously the kids have been used to the house
being unoccupied and think the garden is "open range".

Howsabout going out and talking to the kids? If you introduce yourself
and stay calm and pleasant (seeing it from their POV) you're most likely
to get a positive response, and the opposite if you go out, holler at
them and plant spikey plants.

Already done that, will have to see what sort of response I get.

Paul

Old 10-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Curiosity

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:10:44 +0100, Curiosity
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:07:04 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Curiosity
writes

Never mind the Cats, how do I keep Kids off the garden.
(Next doors cat has just got lost) .

I have just noticed my newly turfed front lawn criss crossed with bike
tracks (can't do the new grass much good ?) and also some broken
plants.

Its a new house and obviously the kids have been used to the house
being unoccupied and think the garden is "open range".

Howsabout going out and talking to the kids? If you introduce yourself
and stay calm and pleasant (seeing it from their POV) you're most likely
to get a positive response, and the opposite if you go out, holler at
them and plant spikey plants.

Already done that, will have to see what sort of response I get.

Paul

PS

We were questioned by the kids as to why just the two of us needed to
own a five bedroomed house ???????

Paul
Old 10-04-2004, 11:03 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , mich
writes
Depends on your neighbours. I asked mine , ( ex ones now) very very
nicely to stop the kids using my front rockery as a slide . The response

was
the kids slashed all four of my car tyres on my drive.

I moved out. needless to say that I suppose.

Afterthought - the neighbour concerned were themselves very garden
proud ( and houseproud for that matter).

Yes, we've got a family (thankfully 3 doors down) who are very
houseproud but who are very successfully raising yobs.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 10-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , dave @ stejonda
writes
Howsabout going out and talking to the kids? If you introduce yourself
and stay calm and pleasant (seeing it from their POV) you're most likely
to get a positive response, and the opposite if you go out, holler at
them and plant spikey plants.

Wrong Dave, oh sooooooooooooooo wrong!

I tried that approach years ago with children (I hate the term kids,
it's insulting to goats) who used to play cricket against a lamp post
that was in line with my glass front doer. I used to talk to them
reasonably, recorded them once and asked them in to listen to themselves
and asked them if they would like to have to listen to 'that' all day
etc etc.
Result - zero.
Eventually my neighbour took pity on me and yelled at them . . all sorts
of foul language and threats . . and there was no more trouble.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:03 AM
JennyC

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , mich
writes
Depends on your neighbours. I asked mine , ( ex ones now) very very
nicely to stop the kids using my front rockery as a slide . The response

was the kids slashed all four of my car tyres on my drive.

I moved out. needless to say that I suppose.

Afterthought - the neighbour concerned were themselves very garden
proud ( and houseproud for that matter).

Yes, we've got a family (thankfully 3 doors down) who are very
houseproud but who are very successfully raising yobs.
dave @ stejonda

Its the testosterone in teenage boys that does it - feed them oestrogen laced
ice creams........ :~)
Jenny

Old 10-04-2004, 11:32 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , JennyC
writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , mich
writes
Depends on your neighbours. I asked mine , ( ex ones now) very very
nicely to stop the kids using my front rockery as a slide . The response
was the kids slashed all four of my car tyres on my drive.

I moved out. needless to say that I suppose.

Afterthought - the neighbour concerned were themselves very garden
proud ( and houseproud for that matter).

Yes, we've got a family (thankfully 3 doors down) who are very
houseproud but who are very successfully raising yobs.

Its the testosterone in teenage boys that does it - feed them oestrogen laced
ice creams........ :~)

The mother is as bad though Jenny. What would you suggest for her?

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 10-04-2004, 12:03 PM
JennyC

[...]

Several LARGE muscled friends to have a word with her ?????

I had a similar problem with boys playing football in our narrow cul-de-sac.
They only stopped when several of us got together and complained to the parents.

Jenny

Old 10-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Dcjtee

Never mind the Cats, how do I keep Kids off the garden.

Poisoned sweets? Airguns?

The Hemyock, Devon, UK branch of The Residents Appreciation Society.

http://english.aljazeera.net

Old 10-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Mike

I had a similar problem with boys playing football in our narrow

cul-de-sac.
They only stopped when several of us got together and complained to the

parents.

Jenny

I think we must be very lucky in our village in that the whole community is
coming together as a 'one'. The old football field/recreation ground is
about to be re-instated. We have a new Village Magazine which reports on and
advertises the Local Scene.

AND

We have a new village beat bobby. One of the 'old school' who gets in
amongst the kids and talks to them and is getting to 'know then' and by
name!! And gets to know their parents. He is very much a 'local beat bobby'
and attends all meetings to do with the village such as the Parish Council
Meeting and also the Community Partnership meetings.

All these things put together is showing an improvement. A massive Fund
Raise is about to start and many of the local people want to get involved.
we have our first and inaugural meeting at the end of the month.

Things are improving, mainly by people 'doing' things and talking to each
other.

Mike

Old 10-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Rhiannon S

From: Curiosity
Date: 10/04/2004 07:26 GMT Daylight Time

Any suggestions ?, how about soem QUICK GROWING spikey plants.

Gorse, I always recommend gorse. Or that hedgehog holly that has spikes on
it's spikes.
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/