Old 13-04-2004, 03:42 PM
Mike

Default Volume

Can someone please tell me what the volume of water is, in gallons, of a 50
metre length of garden hose.

Thinking of making a heat exchanger to heat up the water in a big box with
50 metres of garden hose snaked out and under a Perspex cover

There has to be a calculation somewhere bit I don't know.

Thank you.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Newfoundland Association Reunion Hayling Island April 23rd - 26th
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th

Old 13-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Neil Jones

"Mike" wrote in message
Can someone please tell me what the volume of water is, in gallons, of

a 50
metre length of garden hose.

Thinking of making a heat exchanger to heat up the water in a big box

with
50 metres of garden hose snaked out and under a Perspex cover

There has to be a calculation somewhere bit I don't know.

Thank you.

Mike

If it has an internal diameter of 13mm, it has a cross section of
0.000133 m^2, so the volume of the pipe is 6.65 litres (I think that's
about a gallon and a half).

Neil

Old 13-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Martin Sykes

"Mike" wrote in message
Can someone please tell me what the volume of water is, in gallons, of a

50
metre length of garden hose.

Thinking of making a heat exchanger to heat up the water in a big box with
50 metres of garden hose snaked out and under a Perspex cover

There has to be a calculation somewhere bit I don't know.

Thank you.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Newfoundland Association Reunion Hayling Island April 23rd - 26th
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Reunion Bracklesham Bay May 21st - 24th
Nat.Service (RAF) Assoc. Cosford Parade / Social Weekend 25th - 28th June

If a hose has an internal diameter of 13mm, then

13mm*13mm*PI *50m

= 1.3cm * 1.3cm * 3.1415 * 5000cm

= 26546 cubic cm

= 26.5 litres

= 5.8 gallons

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 13-04-2004, 04:35 PM
klara King

In message , Mike
writes
Can someone please tell me what the volume of water is, in gallons, of
a 50 metre length of garden hose.

If the interior diameter of said hose is .5 inch, that would be 1.37
gallons (?)

Klara
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 13-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Neil Jones

"klara King" wrote in message
In message , Mike
writes
Can someone please tell me what the volume of water is, in gallons,

of
a 50 metre length of garden hose.

If the interior diameter of said hose is .5 inch, that would be 1.37
gallons (?)

Klara
--
Klara, Gatwick basin

I got 1 gallon 3.7 pints?

Old 13-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Neil Jones

"Martin Sykes" wrote in
message ...
"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

13 mm diameter = 6.5 mm radius.

Old 13-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike" wrote in message
Can someone please tell me what the volume of water is, in gallons,

of a 50
metre length of garden hose.

The diameter is probably about 2 cm.
The cross sectional area is then 3.142 square cm
The volume will be 15710 cc, or 15.7 litres
At approximately 4.5 litres per gallon, this comes to about 3.5
gallons.

Thinking of making a heat exchanger to heat up the water in a big

box with
50 metres of garden hose snaked out and under a Perspex cover

There has to be a calculation somewhere bit I don't know.

Franz

Old 13-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Martin Sykes

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"Martin Sykes" wrote in
message ...

If a hose has an internal diameter of 13mm, then

13 mm diameter = 6.5 mm radius.

Oops, well spotted. In which case, it's a quarter of what I said

= about 1.5 gallons

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 13-04-2004, 08:37 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin Sykes" wrote in
message ...
"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Divide by 4

[snip]

Franz

Old 13-04-2004, 08:37 PM
Franz Heymann

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
Can someone please tell me what the volume of water is, in

gallons,
of a 50
metre length of garden hose.

The diameter is probably about 2 cm.
The cross sectional area is then 3.142 square cm
The volume will be 15710 cc, or 15.7 litres
At approximately 4.5 litres per gallon, this comes to about 3.5
gallons.

I probably overestimated the diameter. Unless I am wrong, most
household hoses will have an internal diameter of 1/2", or 1.25 cm.
If that is a better estimate for the diameter, the volume in gallons
comes down to 1.37 gallons.

Franz

Old 13-04-2004, 10:06 PM
David Hill

"............ Can someone please tell me what the volume of water is, in
gallons, of a 50 metre length of garden hose.

Thinking of making a heat exchanger to heat up the water in a big box with
50 metres of garden hose snaked out and under a Perspex cover ........"

I would have thought you would have used a header tank and a circulating
pump, in which case the volume is not important.
Have you thought of using black alkathene pipe, whilst it is a bit more
expensive you can get a better range of sizes and being black it will
absorbed more heat.
You say under a Perspex cover, if you can insulate under the pipe and then
have a reflective surface on top of the insulation then for the top use
something like Correx (Double skin sheet ) you will get more heat in the
unit.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries