Old 18-04-2004, 09:09 PM
john west++++

Default screen with potted plants

Hi, I wish to have a plant screen to give us a bit more privacy in the
garden. but they will have to be on a patio, so the plants will have to be
in largish pots.
any suggestions please on what are; inexpensive, evergreen, fast growing
plants that will be happy at about 4ft 6 inches high, please? someone
suggested viburnam tinus,.... is that a good suggestion?
many thanks for any help. john west

Old 18-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Kay Easton

In article _UAgc.1385$sN4.100@newsfe1-win, john west++++
writes
Hi, I wish to have a plant screen to give us a bit more privacy in the
garden. but they will have to be on a patio, so the plants will have to be
in largish pots.
any suggestions please on what are; inexpensive, evergreen, fast growing
plants that will be happy at about 4ft 6 inches high, please?

Bamboo would work well. Some are expensive, some a lot cheaper. Or find
a neighbour with an excess - my neighbour gave me half of a pot full of
bamboo about 5ft high.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Mike

"john west++++" wrote in message
Hi, I wish to have a plant screen to give us a bit more privacy in the
garden. but they will have to be on a patio, so the plants will have to be
in largish pots.
any suggestions please on what are; inexpensive, evergreen, fast growing
plants that will be happy at about 4ft 6 inches high, please? someone
suggested viburnam tinus,.... is that a good suggestion?
many thanks for any help. john west

Don't know if it will suit your circumstances, but we have just produced an
instant screen using some form of brushwood which has been bound into a roll
some 5 metres long. We bound onto some chain link fence with bits of wire.
Instant screen which forms an attractive background to the hedging plants
whilst they grow to the height we want.

Ours was 1 metre high, but they come in different heights, up to I believe 2
metres.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Newfoundland Association Reunion Hayling Island April 23rd - 26th
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th

Old 19-04-2004, 08:07 AM
john west++++

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article _UAgc.1385$sN4.100@newsfe1-win, john west++++
writes
Hi, I wish to have a plant screen to give us a bit more privacy in the
garden. but they will have to be on a patio, so the plants will have to

be
in largish pots.
any suggestions please on what are; inexpensive, evergreen, fast growing
plants that will be happy at about 4ft 6 inches high, please?

Bamboo would work well. Some are expensive, some a lot cheaper. Or find
a neighbour with an excess - my neighbour gave me half of a pot full of
bamboo about 5ft high.

someone
suggested viburnam tinus,.... is that a good suggestion?
many thanks for any help. john west

Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

thanks for your responses. I have tried keeping bamboo in pots but it does
not seem happy, and the leaves tend to go yellow. also I cannot get enough
density of bamboo to provide sufficient screening from using a line of one
pots. any other suggestions please? john west

Old 19-04-2004, 08:08 AM
JennyC

"john west++++" wrote in message
Hi, I wish to have a plant screen to give us a bit more privacy in the
garden. but they will have to be on a patio, so the plants will have to be
in largish pots.
any suggestions please on what are; inexpensive, evergreen, fast growing
plants that will be happy at about 4ft 6 inches high, please? someone
suggested viburnam tinus,.... is that a good suggestion?
many thanks for any help. john west

Get or make some elongated planters.
Add trellis to the height you require.
Plant ivy................... :~)
You can add some colour with annuals or another climber through the ivy.

It's evergreen and can be pruned to keep it the size you want
The 'boxes' can be pushed up close together to form a 'hedge'

examples:
http://www.shop.itsgreatshopping.co....ice_Lines.html
http://www.growinglifestyle.co.uk/ar...0/a251733.html

Jenny

Old 19-04-2004, 08:09 AM
Kay Easton

In article , john west++++
writes
thanks for your responses. I have tried keeping bamboo in pots but it does
not seem happy, and the leaves tend to go yellow. also I cannot get enough
density of bamboo to provide sufficient screening from using a line of one
pots. any other suggestions please? john west

I don't know why you're having trouble. I don't do anything special with
mine, but it stays healthy, and the density of canes is such that it is
certainly complete screening! Trouble is that it grows upright, so you
would get narrow gaps where the pots meet.

Bay trees? - not sure how fast they grow in pots (they are fast in the
ground, certainly once they are pat babyhood). Myrtle?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: