Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-04-2004, 11:24 AM
hkw hkw is offline
Registered User

Unhappy How to get rid of rampant mint?

Hello all,

I'm new here! And a pretty inexperienced gardener, although I'm trying to learn....

Here's my problem; I have a flowerbed running along one side of my garden, in which I'm trying to grow roses and some other shrubs. However, someone who lived here previously has planted MINT at one end of this flowerbed, and its gets completely out of control and threatens to take over the whole bed!

I try to pull it up in the winter when it's died down a bit, but the extensive network of tough roots underground means it springs back rampant as ever in the summer, and is impossible to pull up. It grows to about 3 feet high, too, and is really unsightly.

How do I get rid of it for good, without poisoning the soil and affecting my existing shrubs or future plants?

Thanks....