Old 25-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Andrew Welham

Default Grass cuttings

Dear All

I’ve just purchased a “Flymo Vision Compact 380 Electric Hover Mower “,
and it has made an excellent job of the lawn, my only worry is that it
sprays bits of cuts grass every where including the freshly dug flower
beds. My question is what are the chances of the pieces of grass now on
my flower beds taking root. ?

Many Thanks
Andrew

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
Old 25-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Brian

Absolutely none~~ unless you set it so low that you sent roots and all
flying!! When grass is mature, with seed heads, then there is the
possibility you suggest. Otherwise it will only add to the humus and quickly
disappear courtesy of the worms!
Best Wishes.

Old 25-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Franz Heymann

"Andrew Welham" wrote in message

Dear All

I’ve just purchased a “Flymo Vision Compact 380 Electric Hover Mower

“,
and it has made an excellent job of the lawn, my only worry is that

it
sprays bits of cuts grass every where including the freshly dug

flower
beds. My question is what are the chances of the pieces of grass now

on
my flower beds taking root. ?

Quite unlikely. In fact, why don't you put all the cuttings on the
lawn as a mulch?

Franz

Old 25-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Andrew Welham contains these words:

Dear All

I’ve just purchased a “Flymo Vision Compact 380 Electric Hover Mower “,
and it has made an excellent job of the lawn, my only worry is that it
sprays bits of cuts grass every where including the freshly dug flower
beds. My question is what are the chances of the pieces of grass now on
my flower beds taking root. ?

They won't. In a day or so they will turn brown, be less visible, and
worms will pull them down into the ground to enrich it.

Janet

Old 26-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Victoria Clare

Andrew Welham wrote in news:408bd073$0$20516
:

I've just purchased a "Flymo Vision Compact 380 Electric Hover Mower ",
and it has made an excellent job of the lawn, my only worry is that it
sprays bits of cuts grass every where including the freshly dug flower
beds. My question is what are the chances of the pieces of grass now on
my flower beds taking root. ?

Zero. I often stick cut grass from the mower directly onto a shrub bed: it
makes an excellent mulch and keeps the weeds down, and I don't have to
carry it to the compost heap :-)

Dunno if this would be good for veg or annuals but apple trees, shrubs and
perennials like aquilegias and dianthus seem to thrive on it.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Old 28-04-2004, 08:07 AM
gary davis

On 4/26/04 4:17 AM, in article
, "Victoria Clare"
wrote:

Andrew Welham wrote in news:408bd073$0$20516
:

I've just purchased a "Flymo Vision Compact 380 Electric Hover Mower ",
and it has made an excellent job of the lawn, my only worry is that it
sprays bits of cuts grass every where including the freshly dug flower
beds. My question is what are the chances of the pieces of grass now on
my flower beds taking root. ?

Zero. I often stick cut grass from the mower directly onto a shrub bed: it
makes an excellent mulch and keeps the weeds down, and I don't have to
carry it to the compost heap :-)

Dunno if this would be good for veg or annuals but apple trees, shrubs and
perennials like aquilegias and dianthus seem to thrive on it.

Victoria

Hello,
Well, I agree that a blade of grass may not root but there is a chance
of grass growing if the grass has gone to seed. The seeds will grow
anywhere.
My suggestion is to monitor the areas where you don't want grass and
disturb their root system when young. The sun will kill them.
You could of course go to the next level. Let the grass grow a little
then turn it over. Green manure...for the worms.
But then if you don't have worms, put some food in the ground and you
eventually will. Keep feeding them and they will do wonders for the soil.
Your plants will love you for it.
Cheers,

Gary
PS: Never underestimate the power of the worm. Should you doubt it, ask any
Robin.