Old 29-05-2003, 06:44 PM
DDEckerslyke

Default disposing of grass cuttings

Armed with my RCD and my bottom of the range lawnmower I have just hacked
my way through the back garden and collected a couple of bin bags full of
grass cuttings. We can't really organise composting just yet and it seems
absurd to put them in the bin so based on the five minutes where I was
paying attention in O-Level Biology (biodegradable aka BDG) I was thinking
of spreading them in the woods out the back. Is this environmentally sound?
If not then, given that we can't compost them, what is the best thing we can
reasonably do with them?

cheers

dd

Once again thanks for the help with the RCD

Old 29-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
DDEckerslyke wrote:
Armed with my RCD and my bottom of the range lawnmower I have just hacked
my way through the back garden and collected a couple of bin bags full of
grass cuttings. We can't really organise composting just yet and it seems
absurd to put them in the bin so based on the five minutes where I was
paying attention in O-Level Biology (biodegradable aka BDG) I was thinking
of spreading them in the woods out the back. Is this environmentally sound?
If not then, given that we can't compost them, what is the best thing we can
reasonably do with them?

That is unlikely to do any harm, unless it is a very delicate wood
(i.e. don't do it if it is a SSSI). However, you could puncture a
few holes in the bags and leave them in a corner, and the contents
will start composting!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Victoria Clare

"DDEckerslyke" wrote in
:

Armed with my RCD and my bottom of the range lawnmower I have just
hacked my way through the back garden and collected a couple of bin
bags full of grass cuttings. We can't really organise composting just
yet and it seems absurd to put them in the bin so based on the five
minutes where I was paying attention in O-Level Biology (biodegradable
aka BDG) I was thinking of spreading them in the woods out the back.
Is this environmentally sound? If not then, given that we can't
compost them, what is the best thing we can reasonably do with them?

If the woods aren't yours, you might get complaints about dumping, though
really they will vanish pretty quickly if you spread 'em out thin. Just
don't put them where someone will notice.

If you have areas in the garden you think may be beds in future, and don't
care much about the looks, bung on a layer of newspaper over whatever is
growing there, and stick the grass cuttings on the top. By the time you
are ready to deal with it, the grass cuttings will be compost, you can dig
in the newspaper, and any weeds underneath will be severely weakened.

You don't really need to 'organise' compost. Just find a bit you don't
have to look at too often and make a pile of anything appropriate. Compost
will happen to it eventually, or you can shovel it into a bin later to
finish off.

Victoria
Old 29-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Shane

Grass clippings make a great mulch!
To get tons of great recipes, goto http://hop.clickbank.net/?kani73/vjjepub

http://hop.clickbank.net/hop.cgi?kani73/healthe2 Website that caters to busy
people who want to live a healthy lifestyle! Recipes, snacks, fitness tips and
more.

Old 29-05-2003, 08:56 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Most councils now have 'green waste' facilities which produce compost from
garden prunings, grass etc.
You would find a container at your local tip.
Our council has just given us brown wheelie bins and collects every two
weeks.
However one cut = one full bin at the moment.

Old 29-05-2003, 11:10 PM
David Hill

If your clippings are dry you could leave them in the bags.
otherwise tip them out for a day or so to dry a bit more then bag, seal and
leave them, should compost down.
You could always add shredded paper. cardboard etc to the bags with the
grass.
I cut yesterday, more like hay ,will have around 3 trailer loads when it's
dry.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries