Old 26-04-2004, 08:02 AM
chaz

Default rampant bluebells

this year, after never having had any bluebells in my garden, I now have
loads, and so does my neighbour!

Why did this happen? Seems strange to go from none to loads in one year,
anyone else seen this?

Mike

Old 26-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Victoria Clare

"chaz" wrote in news:Q52jc.1834
:

this year, after never having had any bluebells in my garden, I now have
loads, and so does my neighbour!

Why did this happen? Seems strange to go from none to loads in one year,
anyone else seen this?

Bluebells do seed quite enthusiastically, but not usually at long
distances, and they don't flower in the first year (at least, mine don't)
though I suppose they might have been there last year unnoticed among grass
seedlings.

Have you and your neighbour imported any soil recently? Bluebell bulbs are
remarkably tough and will survive a lot of upheaval.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 26-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Gloxinia

"chaz" wrote in message
this year, after never having had any bluebells in my garden, I now have
loads, and so does my neighbour!

Why did this happen? Seems strange to go from none to loads in one year,
anyone else seen this?

Mike

Me too .... I was very surprised to see loads of them in my garden ,as

far as I remember they were never in flower before ...

Old 27-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Gloxinia
writes

"chaz" wrote in message
this year, after never having had any bluebells in my garden, I now have
loads, and so does my neighbour!

Why did this happen? Seems strange to go from none to loads in one year,
anyone else seen this?

Mike

Me too .... I was very surprised to see loads of them in my garden ,as

far as I remember they were never in flower before ...

Which type are they? If they are the English ones then someone may want
some
If they are the Spanish incomers then dig them up and throw them on the
compost or whatever before they cross with our native ones.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 30-04-2004, 12:05 PM
david taylor

Short answer is I don't know why.
Ornamemental hyacynth bulbs are conditioned in a freezer to make them flower
early for Christmas.
An Italian friend with a very sheltered Italian garden- warm and lowish
humidity in the winter says she can't get bluebells to grow.
I suspect its a combination of soil and climatic conditions maybe overwinter
that has caused the glut.
After all why should they prefer to grow in woods in the first place?
As a digression on the same theme badger territories are large enough to
ensure a good supply of earthworms. The worms only come to the surface over
a narrow range of temepratures and humidity, so the badgers need a subtle
variety of locations to ensure a regular supply.
I think plants respond to similar subtle variations.

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Gloxinia
writes