Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Sacha

Default New house, monster leylandii

Matt Barton26/4/04 10:17

Hello,

Appologies if this is an all too familiar query, but I couldn't find an FAQ
for the group...

Here it is:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/index.html

I moved into a new house just before christmas, and at the bottom of the
garden is a 30ft leylandii. I've no problem with the tree itself (I quite
like it actually - it's a nice counter-point to a *massive* leylandii hedge
which shelters my house from a railway line), but it's so big that I'm
worried that if I don't deal with it now, it'll be too big for me to manage
in 6 - 12 months (and I'd hate to have to pay someone to do it if I can do
it now myself).

I want to cut it to about half of its current height, and then maintain it
at that height - my questions a is it likely to survive, is there a
better course of action, is there a particular reason why doing so is a bad
idea?

Once you cut into old wood on leylandii they don't sprout back and look very
ragged. We advised a neighbour of ours not to do this, she thought she knew
better and she's now left with trunks sticking out of the top of lower
growing foliage looking simply awful.

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)