Old 26-04-2004, 10:07 PM
kenty ;-\)

Default uses for grass cuttings

I have quite a large lawn,too much clippings to keep composting! Would like
to know what others do with there clippings.

--
Thanks Keith

Old 27-04-2004, 02:08 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
s.com...
I have quite a large lawn,too much clippings to keep composting! Would

like
to know what others do with there clippings.

--
Thanks Keith

Mulch borders, recycle via council brown wheelie bin.

By the end of summer it is a major problem trying to find where to hide them
all :-(

Old 27-04-2004, 07:10 PM
nambucca

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
s.com...
I have quite a large lawn,too much clippings to keep composting! Would

like
to know what others do with there clippings.

--
Thanks Keith

Mulch borders, recycle via council brown wheelie bin.

By the end of summer it is a major problem trying to find where to hide

them
all :-(

Nonsense i never have enough grass clippings from my 1/3 rd acre so i

compost my neighbours too .......all you need is to contact a livery stable
for a free supply of manure and bedding and you can have super compost

The larger the garden the more compost you need so its in balance with the
amount of grass clippings

Old 27-04-2004, 10:06 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"nambucca" wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
s.com...
I have quite a large lawn,too much clippings to keep composting!

Would
like
to know what others do with there clippings.

--
Thanks Keith

Mulch borders, recycle via council brown wheelie bin.

By the end of summer it is a major problem trying to find where to hide

them
all :-(

Nonsense i never have enough grass clippings from my 1/3 rd acre so i

compost my neighbours too .......all you need is to contact a livery

stable
for a free supply of manure and bedding and you can have super compost

The larger the garden the more compost you need so its in balance with the
amount of grass clippings

Nonsense yourself - the larger the lawn the smaller the borders and the less
room for a compost heap.

Old 27-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message m
from "kenty ;-\)" contains these words:

I have quite a large lawn,too much clippings to keep composting! Would like
to know what others do with there clippings.

I've just come in from collecting the clippings from two neighbours'
gardens, who have their grass cut by a contractor. 8 high barrow-loads.
You can never have too much/many grass clippings.

Today's haul went straight on the beds as mulch, on top of earlier
spring mulch layers of seaweed and strawy manure. These beds were made
last year by laying cardboard on the lawn, and covering with clippings
etc; they are rich soft soil now, full of earthworms.

My own lawn's clippings from a cut on Sunday, were very mossy so I put
them in the compost heap along with a load of weeds and some seaweed.

Janet

Old 28-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

"nambucca" wrote in message

The larger the garden the more compost you need so its in balance with the
amount of grass clippings

Nonsense yourself - the larger the lawn

But heshe didn't say the larger the *lawn*; heshe said the larger the
*garden*
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 28-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Neil Jones

"nambucca" wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Have you considered a mulching mower?

Old 28-04-2004, 11:02 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

"nambucca" wrote in message

The larger the garden the more compost you need so its in balance with

the
amount of grass clippings

Nonsense yourself - the larger the lawn

But heshe didn't say the larger the *lawn*; heshe said the larger the
*garden*
--

Jane,

if you read further back, the complaint was that there was nowhere to
compost the lawn mowings.

Heshe then said 'nonsense' and changed the issue from large lawn to large
garden - whereas a large garden does not automatically mean large borders
and large areas for compost heaps.

It can mean a large lawn which is out of proportion to the borders and
'utility space' which leaves little or no room to dispose of grass cuttings.

Which was my point.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 28-04-2004, 11:02 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

snip
The larger the garden the more compost you need so its in balance

with the
amount of grass clippings

Nonsense yourself - the larger the lawn the smaller the borders and

the less
room for a compost heap.

Have you considered a mulching mower?

I have tried mulching into the lawn (i.e. cutting the lawn every couple of
days so that the clippings are small enough to lie between the grass blades
instead of on top) and this works well as long as you cut the lawn every
couple of days.
However life is short and there are so many more things to do than cutting
the lawn every couple of days.
Once you lose the rhythm then you are left with grass which is too long to
mulch in.

As I already own a lawnmower which I view as a long term investment I have
little incentive to seek out another mower which will shred long grass into
a fine enough mulch to allow the cut grass to grow through (if such a thing
exists)

Mulching in however is a good addition to normal mowing - if you have the
time for another quick cut a couple of days after the last cut then this
fends off the evil day when you have another mower box full of grass to
dispose of.

Cheers
Dave R.

Old 28-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Neil Jones

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

Have you considered a mulching mower?

As I already own a lawnmower which I view as a long term investment I

have
little incentive to seek out another mower which will shred long grass

into
a fine enough mulch to allow the cut grass to grow through (if such a

thing
exists)

I have never used one so I don't know how effective they are. It
occurred to me that it might be worthwhile for you, but if your current
mower was expensive I should think you're better off trying to find
hiding places for your clippings. Unless you flog your current mower on
ebay :-)

Old 01-05-2004, 09:06 PM
tuin man

s.com...

nambucca" wrote in message

..... i never have enough grass clippings from my 1/3 rd acre so i

compost my neighbours too .......

Perhaps the solution is "kenty ;-)" needs to locate a "nambucca"

Patrick

Old 01-05-2004, 10:11 PM
kenty ;-\)

Its been a interesting read! I have only been in my new house for a week.I
have two plastic compost bins.But because the garden at the moment is mostly
lawn,I am not getting any waste from borders to start composting.I cut the
lawns today & ended up with four wheel barrow loads which I have piled up on
spare ground.I will be making borders & veg patch in the future,I am in the
process of designing the garden, it is 225 ft long by 21 ft wide. It will be
quite a task,but I will be living here for a long time.I want two
greenhouses one for orchids & one for general use,a place to put my
daughters play house,veg patch,there are two damson trees so I would like to
add a couple of apple trees in that area to create more shade to lazy about
on a hammock.I would like to make the bottom of the garden more wild to
blend in with the farm land we are backing on to.Also there are already two
sheds in the garden!I don`t know how I am going to fit it in,that's why I am
going to take my time and plan.

--
Thanks Keith,UK.
"gary davis" wrote in message
On 4/26/04 1:25 PM, in article
, "kenty ;-)"
wrote:

I have quite a large lawn,too much clippings to keep composting! Would

like
to know what others do with there clippings.

Hi Keith
I'd like to know what you do with your compost. Do you have a
garden...vegetable or flowers? How big is your compost bin and how big is
your garden? What kind of a compost bin do you have?
I, like some of the others on this newsgroup, collect grass clippings
from neighbours. I'm just wondering about how you do things.
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada

Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
uses for grass cuttings (long) Victoria Clare United Kingdom 7 03-05-2004 09:05 PM
Poplar tree - uses P&J United Kingdom 40 03-09-2003 09:12 PM
Top ten uses for discarded rose canes R & L Porter Roses 5 14-05-2003 08:20 PM
Uses for plastic poultry manure tubs?? Liz & Andy United Kingdom 4 14-05-2003 06:20 PM