Old 26-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Vicky

Default compost again

I'm new to this gardening stuff. I started a compost heap last year when
the local council were flogging cheap compost bins. I didn't have much luck
at first. Then I took some hints about the benefits of urine - won't go
into the whys and wherefores collecting it at the mo!

Then someone happened to mention that if there were ants in the heap, it was
too dry so I added a bit of water to it the other day. Opened it this
morning to check on progress and it appears to be steaming nicely with no
sign of the ants and with definite signs of reduction in bulk. I felt quite
smug. I'm giving nettle manure a try next as per the instructions on the
FAQ list!

Of course, it woud be even more exciting if my garden had more stuff to
feed!

Sorry - these little things in life are mildly thrilling to the uninitiated
ignoramus!

Vicky

Old 27-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Vicky
writes
[...]

No need for a sorry! It's lovely to hear how people are getting on, and
to know that urg advice comes in useful sometimes ;-)

Just you wait till you empty your heap and find the first layer of soil
at the bottom - that's a huge thrill too, when you compare it with what
went into the heap.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-04-2004, 12:09 PM
sw

Vicky wrote:

[...]

It's worse than thrilling, it's addictive. I visit the bin nearest the
house every day just to see how it's doing. If it's not happy, I try to
cheer it up with a handful of garden lime, or some grass clippings, or
some dilute urine. Bit like making good homemade soup...

The Compost Master programme is still running; when leafleting
passers-by at a garden centre about the benefits of composting the other
weekend it seemed that far more than 30% were already doing so. I
suggested we run a Compost Show -- more an excuse for a party than a
true competition, but people could bring in jars of their own best
compost for judging :-)

regards
sarah

ps. Next week is International Compost Week!

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Old 27-04-2004, 12:09 PM
PK

sw wrote:
Vicky wrote:

more an excuse for a party than a
true competition, but people could bring in jars of their own best
compost for judging :-)

and folks could bring along jars of their best compost activator too.....

pk

Old 27-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Vicky" contains these words:

I'm new to this gardening stuff. I started a compost heap last year when
the local council were flogging cheap compost bins. I didn't have much luck
at first. Then I took some hints about the benefits of urine - won't go
into the whys and wherefores collecting it at the mo!

Then someone happened to mention that if there were ants in the heap, it was
too dry so I added a bit of water to it the other day. Opened it this
morning to check on progress and it appears to be steaming nicely with no
sign of the ants and with definite signs of reduction in bulk. I felt quite
smug. I'm giving nettle manure a try next as per the instructions on the
FAQ list!

Of course, it woud be even more exciting if my garden had more stuff to
feed!

Hey, there's lots of free compost-heap food outside your garden, just
waiting for you to collect it. All you need is some plastic sacks.
Neighbours' grass cuttings, harvested nettles, bracken (green or brown)
or rosebay willow herb from wasteland, seaweed, greengrocer's trimmings,
autumn leaves, manure, hairdresser's floor sweepings. Do you know anyone
who keeps chickens, rabbits, pet birds, guinea pigs? They might be very
glad if you would dispose of their hutch cleanings.

You can grow comfrey to bulk up your manure heap and activate it;
Bocking 14 is a giant variety that stays where you plant it and neither
seeds nor spreads by runners.

Sorry - these little things in life are mildly thrilling to the uninitiated
ignoramus!

Just wait until you start visiting other peoples' compost heaps on
their garden open day :~}

Janet

Old 28-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes

Just wait until you start visiting other peoples' compost heaps on
their garden open day :~}

And the first thing you must do is to lift the covering and *feel* it -
to see how hot it is!!!!!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 28-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , gary davis
writes
PS: Please email me directly as I don't often read this newsgroup.

That's very rude, Gary, as we would *all* like to benefit from the
discussions . . . that is why we subscribe here, after all.
To take the discussion to private email is as rude as whispering behind
your hand in company
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 28-04-2004, 11:02 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Janet
Baraclough.. writes
You can grow comfrey to bulk up your manure heap and activate it;
Bocking 14 is a giant variety that stays where you plant it and neither
seeds nor spreads by runners.

I've printed out your post to show my HDRA-sourced Bocking 14. Hopefully
it will then get the message that despatching scout plants is an
unacceptable way to behave. ;=)

(It doesn't do it very much though, and it has been there a long time so
it's probably getting bored of the view.)

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 28-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Ophelia

"sw" wrote in message
o.uk...
PK wrote:

sw wrote:
Vicky wrote:

more an excuse for a party than a
true competition, but people could bring in jars of their own best
compost for judging :-)

and folks could bring along jars of their best compost activator

too.....

Well, we could cheerfully generate it anyway :-)

I had the best compost ever this year Last year, some of you may
remember the complaints from my neighbour over my smelly stuff. Well I took
to heart all the advice I got here and now it is wonderful I am so proud
of it LOL

Ophelia

Old 28-04-2004, 04:15 PM
martin

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:52:12 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"sw" wrote in message
. co.uk...
PK wrote:

sw wrote:
Vicky wrote:
more an excuse for a party than a
true competition, but people could bring in jars of their own best
compost for judging :-)

and folks could bring along jars of their best compost activator

too.....

Well, we could cheerfully generate it anyway :-)

I had the best compost ever this year Last year, some of you may
remember the complaints from my neighbour over my smelly stuff. Well I took
to heart all the advice I got here and now it is wonderful I am so proud
of it LOL

Donate your activator to Ophelia week?
Old 28-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Vicky

Donate your activator to Ophelia week?

If she really wants my "supply", I'd gladly send some! My husband - selfish
git - refuses to pee into the compost heap before he goes to work in the
morning and early morning "activator" is soooo much the best of the day I
reckon...........

So how would you like my contribution packaged Ophelia?

Vicky

Old 28-04-2004, 07:15 PM
sw

Ophelia wrote:

"sw" wrote in message
o.uk...
PK wrote:

sw wrote:
Vicky wrote:
more an excuse for a party than a
true competition, but people could bring in jars of their own best
compost for judging :-)

and folks could bring along jars of their best compost activator

too.....

Well, we could cheerfully generate it anyway :-)

I had the best compost ever this year Last year, some of you may
remember the complaints from my neighbour over my smelly stuff. Well I took
to heart all the advice I got here and now it is wonderful I am so proud
of it LOL

Everyone who produces good compost should be proud of it :-)

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.