Old 28-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Vicky

Default Planting shrubs

Have I left it too late to plant shrubs and small trees?

I have a fast-becoming-pot-bound apple tree and a couple of shrubs I want to
move from front to back garden.

I've been told that autumn and spring are the correct times of year but The
Great Titch and Charlie Dimmock seem to chuck em in regardless of time of
year.

Vicky

Old 28-04-2004, 02:11 PM
shazzbat

"Vicky" wrote in message
Have I left it too late to plant shrubs and small trees?

I have a fast-becoming-pot-bound apple tree and a couple of shrubs I want

move from front to back garden.

I've been told that autumn and spring are the correct times of year but

The
Great Titch and Charlie Dimmock seem to chuck em in regardless of time of
year.

Vicky

Bear in mind that when footage is televised it may be up to 18 months old,
they work that far ahead in some cases. I would say that if the tree is
potbound it will be grateful for planting out regardless of the time of
year. In the case of shrubs, I would say that in the absence of specific
instructions, just after flowering would be the most logical time to do it,
this gives it the maximum settling-in time before next flowering.

HTH
Steve

Old 28-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Vicky
writes
Have I left it too late to plant shrubs and small trees?

I have a fast-becoming-pot-bound apple tree and a couple of shrubs I want to
move from front to back garden.

The apple would be best out of its pot and into the garden as soon as
you can. The shrubs would be better moved in autumn or spring, but if
you need to do it now, do so with as little root disturbance as possible
and keep them well watered for the whole of this summer.

I move things at any time of the year on the principle that the best
time is when I have the energy and necessary urge ;-)

I've been told that autumn and spring are the correct times of year but The
Great Titch and Charlie Dimmock seem to chuck em in regardless of time of
year.

Plants that have been grown in containers can be planted out at any time
of year, but bare rooted plants - ie ones which have been dug straight
out of the soil - are best planted in the dormant season, ie winter to
spring, but not when the ground is frozen. Garden Centre plants are
almost always container grown. Nurseries will sell bare rooted plants,
but will only do so at the correct planting times.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: