Old 30-04-2004, 12:05 PM
The Reids

Default grass in raspberries :-(

My allotment is fully reclaimed except for the grass amongst the
raspberry canes. Are there any tips for getting the stuff out?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old 30-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Neil Jones

"The Reids" wrote in message
My allotment is fully reclaimed except for the grass amongst the
raspberry canes. Are there any tips for getting the stuff out?

After several years of neglect, the row of raspberries in my garden is
full of weeds, including but not restricted to bind weed, various grass
species, creeping buttercup, stinging nettles and brambles.

This year I resolved to tackle the problem, and got down on my hands and
knees for hours of tedious weeding. The results are quite satisfying,
even if my knees ache and my hands tingle from the stingers.

Neil

Old 30-04-2004, 03:06 PM
The Reids

Following up to Neil Jones

This year I resolved to tackle the problem, and got down on my hands and
knees for hours of tedious weeding. The results are quite satisfying,
even if my knees ache and my hands tingle from the stingers.

do you have an hourly rate? :-)

Old 30-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Neil Jones

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to Neil Jones

This year I resolved to tackle the problem, and got down on my hands

and
knees for hours of tedious weeding. The results are quite satisfying,
even if my knees ache and my hands tingle from the stingers.

do you have an hourly rate? :-)
--

Of course - everything's negotiable :-)

Old 30-04-2004, 03:06 PM
nambucca

"The Reids" wrote in message
My allotment is fully reclaimed except for the grass amongst the
raspberry canes. Are there any tips for getting the stuff out?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Wasdale-Lake district-Thames path-London "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" --

you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a

spamtrap

Very carefully !!!

Gently pull out the tufts after heavy rain when they should be easy to
remove

Do not dig around the raspberry canes or you could damage the roots
Alternatively I have seen on a Gardening Programme about 1 ft of compost
piled up around raspberry cane stems this would smother the grass and mulch
the canes at same time ........then in the autumn you can dig and clear out
grass and weeds and move any canes that need moving

Old 01-05-2004, 04:23 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from The Reids contains these words:

My allotment is fully reclaimed except for the grass amongst the
raspberry canes. Are there any tips for getting the stuff out?

I'd soak some newspapers in a bucket and lay them (unopened) on the
soil, right up to the rasp stems, covering up the weeds to smother them.
Then pile mulch (compost, manure, grass clippings, seaweed etc)on top of
the newspaper to cover it; make sure the mulch doesn't touch the rasp
stems.

Janet.

Yields of raspberries and blueberries WCD Edible Gardening 0 14-05-2003 07:44 PM
Asparagus and raspberries..will they coexist? Scott Edible Gardening 1 13-05-2003 12:56 PM
Blueberries and Raspberries Bob Lawns 0 27-04-2003 01:44 PM
Thorn-free raspberries? Minteeleaf Edible Gardening 2 14-02-2003 04:27 PM
How do I grow raspberries and blueberries? lcain Edible Gardening 5 11-02-2003 04:25 AM