Old 03-05-2004, 11:05 AM
John

Default Lamp Post wanted.

Would someone who has had experience of erecting a working Lamp Post
(The old fashioned street lamp, not a modern monstroserty) advise me
of any problems you may have encountered.

Thank you for your time.

John
Old 03-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Tumbleweed

"John" wrote in message
Would someone who has had experience of erecting a working Lamp Post
(The old fashioned street lamp, not a modern monstroserty) advise me
of any problems you may have encountered.

Thank you for your time.

John

When I installed one some years ago, the climate went downhill and it was
wintery for several hundred years, and the land was ruled by an evil witch.
Other than that, no problems.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 03-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Howard Neil

Tumbleweed wrote:

When I installed one some years ago, the climate went downhill and it was
wintery for several hundred years, and the land was ruled by an evil witch.
Other than that, no problems.

Wedding present, was it? :-)

--
Howard Neil
Old 03-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from John contains these words:

Would someone who has had experience of erecting a working Lamp Post
(The old fashioned street lamp, not a modern monstroserty) advise me
of any problems you may have encountered.

Finding someone to come round at dusk and light it. You just can't get
the staff these days.

Janet
Old 03-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Mike Lyle

Howard Neil wrote in message ...
Tumbleweed wrote:

When I installed one some years ago, the climate went downhill and it was
wintery for several hundred years, and the land was ruled by an evil witch.
Other than that, no problems.

Wedding present, was it? :-)

OT: I've submitted the above three postings to
alt.humor.best-of-usenet. Nice work, lads!

Mike.

Old 03-05-2004, 06:04 PM
martin

On Mon, 3 May 2004 13:02:38 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

The message
from John contains these words:

Would someone who has had experience of erecting a working Lamp Post
(The old fashioned street lamp, not a modern monstroserty) advise me
of any problems you may have encountered.

Finding someone to come round at dusk and light it. You just can't get
the staff these days.

What him that made the world a little brighter, that old lamp lighter
of long, long ago?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:04 PM
martin

On Mon, 3 May 2004 11:51:56 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.. .
Would someone who has had experience of erecting a working Lamp Post
(The old fashioned street lamp, not a modern monstroserty) advise me
of any problems you may have encountered.

Thank you for your time.

John

When I installed one some years ago, the climate went downhill and it was
wintery for several hundred years, and the land was ruled by an evil witch.
Other than that, no problems.

A gobal warning?
Old 03-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Robert E A Harvey

John wrote in message . ..
Would someone who has had experience of erecting a working Lamp Post
(The old fashioned street lamp, not a modern monstroserty) advise me
of any problems you may have encountered.

I'd be cautious about using a second hand vintage lampost, because
there is a good chance that the control gear and lampholders may be at
the end of thier life, and the lamps themselves may be expensive or
difficult to get. If the daylight sensor wants changing, you might
have trouble getting one with a high enough power rating (although you
can always add a helper relay/contactor). On top of that new ones are
designed to reduce light pollution, and hence achieve a lot more local
lumens for your cash.

Erretion is simply a case of providing a cable duct to the location,
threading that through the slot in the base and concreting in place.
Use proper armoured waterproof cable underground, not PVC
twin-and-earth. Backfill cable manholes with sand to discourage rat
damage.

But the whole thing is full of potential snags: you need a reasonable
size hole, so that the concrete base does not move around because of
the leverage from the upright: at least a metre deep and perhaps a
metre across: the vendor should give you advice. The nature of the
surrounding soil must be taken into account.

Then there is the problem of lowering it into the hole and hauling it
upright, and holding it so while the concrete sets: I'd look at a
small lorry with a Hiab crane.

You need access to change the lamp. A ladder won't do it.

You need to make sure the steelwork, and the lamp holder, are really
well earthed.

Some of the domestic type, as sold by garden centres and the like, are
quite easy to deal with: although none of them address the light
pollution issue.