Old 09-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Jane Taylor

Default yellowing fatsia

I've planted a fatsia in my garden but it doesn't look at all well. The
existing leaves are yellowing and the new leave seem very floppy and brown
on the underside. The soil is clay but has a lot of compost and mulch dug in
to help aerate it which seems good enough for my rosemay. Does anyone have
any idea what the problem might be.

Thanks

Jane

Old 10-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Peter Green

I used the rosemary as an example to show I'd improved my clay soil enough
to keep it alive. It's only doing okay because of the amount of compost I've
dug in. The soil is clay, pretty rich and in partial shade so doesn't ever
dry out and crack. I should really move the rosemary. My lavender failed
there miserably. The fatsia is in sun some of the time and is in at least
part shade most of the day. My biggest worry was that the soil wasn't well
drained enough. It's certainly not dry.

Thanks for your help. I don't feel like it would survive a move and although
I've got a shadier spot, it's pretty dry and wouldn't be suitable. I think I
might try it in a big pot and nurture it over the next 12 months.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Peter Green" contains these words:

The fatsia is in sun some of the time and is in at least
part shade most of the day. My biggest worry was that the soil wasn't well
drained enough. It's certainly not dry.

Thanks for your help. I don't feel like it would survive a move and although
I've got a shadier spot, it's pretty dry and wouldn't be suitable. I think I
might try it in a big pot and nurture it over the next 12 months.

Years ago we had a garden with a monster fatsia growing in a very dry
spot; it looked very decrepit but feeding and tidying dead old leaves
restored its looks and vitality. I don't think they mind dry, or moving;
they are incredibly tough.

Last winter, a neighbour who wanted to get rig of their 4ft fatsia dug
it up (badly) then offered it to me a couple of days later. I bunged it
in a hastily excavated temporary hole in the veg garden; moved it to
another because I needed to work where it was, and finally got round to
planting it properly somewhere else, a couple of weeks ago. So the poor
thing has been homeless for several months. Nevertheless it's still
alive and although the top buds died, new growth is starting lower down.

Janet.

Fatsia japonica Ornata United Kingdom 8 17-03-2005 09:36 PM
Fatsia Japonica Steve Harris United Kingdom 1 21-12-2003 09:32 AM
fatsia help Anne Wheeldon United Kingdom 1 20-07-2003 01:42 PM
Fatsia Japonica looking very poorly Drakanthus United Kingdom 5 13-06-2003 05:56 PM
Fatsia from seed? Chris Webb United Kingdom 2 12-11-2002 06:00 PM