Old 10-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Tim Nicholson

Default Grape vine assistance

Hi

As a newcomer to the delights of grapevines, could someone help me out
please? I've read here and elsewhere that vines usually flower before
providing grapes. If so, are these the flowers, because they look like
'baby' grapes to me....

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...apes-small.jpg

Thanks in advance - I'll be back later for a quick couse on vine
pruning!

Cheers

TIm
Old 10-05-2004, 09:06 AM
martin

On Mon, 10 May 2004 08:34:40 +0100, Tim Nicholson
wrote:

Hi

As a newcomer to the delights of grapevines, could someone help me out
please? I've read here and elsewhere that vines usually flower before
providing grapes. If so, are these the flowers, because they look like
'baby' grapes to me....

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...apes-small.jpg

Thanks in advance - I'll be back later for a quick couse on vine
pruning!

"Access Denied (Usage Limit)

The owner of this file has exceeded their daily usage limit. "

On a Leiden Vietnamese restaurants menu
"Squeezed Grapes" [wine]
"Yeast" [beer]
Strong Booze [spirits]
Old 10-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Tim Nicholson

On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:56:14 +0200, martin wrote:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...apes-small.jpg

"Access Denied (Usage Limit)

The owner of this file has exceeded their daily usage limit. "

Sorry - it was my first attempt at uploading an image to a freebie
site. I'll look around and see whether I can put it somewhere else,
then post another link.

Tim
Old 10-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Howard Neil

Tim Nicholson wrote:

Hi

As a newcomer to the delights of grapevines, could someone help me out
please? I've read here and elsewhere that vines usually flower before
providing grapes. If so, are these the flowers, because they look like
'baby' grapes to me....

The flowers do look like bunches of baby grapes. When they disappear,
the grapes will grow at a point just behind where the flowers are.

--
Howard Neil
Old 10-05-2004, 12:03 PM
David Rance

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Tim Nicholson wrote:

As a newcomer to the delights of grapevines, could someone help me out
please? I've read here and elsewhere that vines usually flower before
providing grapes. If so, are these the flowers, because they look like
'baby' grapes to me....

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...apes-small.jpg

Not able to see your picture, but I would say that it's a little early
for grapes to be forming. Therefore what you can see are probably the
flower buds. Flowering usually takes place in June/July but then
everything is early this year. My vines are only just putting out the
tightly packed flower trusses.

I think I've got some photos of vine flowers somewhere so if you email
me your email address I'll send them to you.

Thanks in advance - I'll be back later for a quick couse on vine
pruning!

Don't try to do any pruning at the moment! If you cut into ripe wood
it'll bleed profusely. And it's probably a bit too early to be pruning
back the new growth. However what you can do profitably now is to remove
any new growth that either doesn't have any flower truss or isn't needed
for further training of the vine.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 10-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Tim Nicholson

wrote:

Hi

As a newcomer to the delights of grapevines, could someone help me out
please? I've read here and elsewhere that vines usually flower before
providing grapes. If so, are these the flowers, because they look like
'baby' grapes to me....

[old link may be broken]

try this one instead

http://www.symmetric.demon.co.uk

I've never tried this before, so apologies if it doesn't work. I also
appreciate that it's probably not good design practice to give people
access to a homepage, but right now it was quick, and it appears to
work for me!

Cheers

Tim
Old 10-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Howard Neil

wrote:

Hi

As a newcomer to the delights of grapevines, could someone help me out
please? I've read here and elsewhere that vines usually flower before
providing grapes. If so, are these the flowers, because they look like
'baby' grapes to me....

[old link may be broken]

try this one instead

http://www.symmetric.demon.co.uk

I've never tried this before, so apologies if it doesn't work. I also
appreciate that it's probably not good design practice to give people
access to a homepage, but right now it was quick, and it appears to
work for me!

They look like the flowers to me.

--
Howard Neil
Old 10-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Tim Nicholson
writes
Hi

As a newcomer to the delights of grapevines, could someone help me out
please? I've read here and elsewhere that vines usually flower before
providing grapes.

make that an 'always' ;-)

Pollen from male part of flower fertilises female part of flower which
then produces seed (in this case wrapped up in a grape). Some plants
will produce a fruit even if not fertilised, but you do need the female
flower first.

Flowers are in small bunches, with each flower potentially producing a
grape (which is why the grapes are in bunches). It sounds like your vine
is on the way :-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 10-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Brian

The photo has appeared. They are indeed flower buds. The berries[grapes]
will form later and flowering this early should ripen well.
Good Luck Brian.

Old 10-05-2004, 11:17 PM
David Hill

"........... I've never tried this before, so apologies if it doesn't work.
I also appreciate that it's probably not good design practice to give people
access to a homepage, but right now it was quick, and it appears to work for
me! ........."

Well there's not a lot of point having a web site if you don't allow access
to your home page.

And yes they are the young flower buds, Now all you have to do is to make
sure you don't let the roots dry out if we get a dry summer, and make sure
you keep god ventilation, these two things will go a long way to prevent the
start of Mildew

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 11-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Tim Nicholson contains these words:

try this one instead

http://www.symmetric.demon.co.uk

Flower buds. The flowers will be small and have very small whitish
petals. They don't last long, so you need to allow access to
pollinators.

In any case, vines need a fairly dry atmosphere or they'll soon get
botrytis (nasty grey mould), so while there is daylight and warmth there
should be good ventilation.

I've never tried this before, so apologies if it doesn't work. I also
appreciate that it's probably not good design practice to give people
access to a homepage, but right now it was quick, and it appears to
work for me!

A? That's what a homepage is for!

Don't prune until after all the fruit has set and then shorten the
laterals with bunches of grapes, leaving at least two leaves beyond the
bunch. Make sure there is no serious bleeding on *THE FIRST CUT*, and
proceed carefully after that.

Cut out any laterals that have no fruit - if you don't want to train
them for future years.

At the end of the year, when all the leaves have fallen and any sap in
the laterals has returned to the stem, cut off all laterals, leaving the
best-looking bud near the main stem.
_
_ o//
________o//_______//________
_____________ ___________ ____
o\\ O\\
¯ ¯
The buds will grow into next year's laterals.

Water profusely. (Your vine should be planted outside the greenhouse,
BTW, and be guided in, using something soft or which will push aside as
the stem grows in diameter.)

Having watered profusely, water it again.

*NEVER* give a vine nitrogen fertiliser or it will produce lots of leaf
and no fruit. Bonemeal and hoof-and-horn are good slow-release
fertilisers.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Kevin Groves

That's all quite handy stuff. My grape has just flowered for the first
time. I planted it late last summer so only saw lots of leaves and by
heck it grew fast (1 inch a week). It's growing fast again and now there
are lots of little flowers on it, and I'm crossing my fingers for what
might happen next.

Kev,
Old 12-05-2004, 11:26 PM
VivienB

On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:53:18 +0100, Kevin Groves
wrote:

and by
heck it grew fast (1 inch a week)

Wait until it really gets its roots down - you will be able to see the
growth from one day to the next easily, you won't have to wait a week!

Regards, VivienB
Old 13-05-2004, 12:04 AM
James Fidell

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

Water profusely. (Your vine should be planted outside the greenhouse,
BTW, and be guided in, using something soft or which will push aside as
the stem grows in diameter.)

Having watered profusely, water it again.

Interesting that the opposite often applies when growing grapes for
wine-making, in Europe at least. IIRC, irrigation is not allowed if the
vines are to be used for a "quality" wine (eg. Appellation Controlle or
VDQS as opposed to Vin de Pays or Vin de Table, in France) with a few
rare exceptions (experimental vineyards being one).

I wonder if it's something to do with limited yields?

James
Old 13-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Tim Nicholson

On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:53:03 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Water profusely. (Your vine should be planted outside the greenhouse,
BTW, and be guided in, using something soft or which will push aside as
the stem grows in diameter.)

Having watered profusely, water it again.

That's interesting - I'd heard this somewhere before, but no-one was
able to tell me 'why' I should plant the vine outside. As we were
building a new greenhouse, I figured the ground inside (once you got
below the 3 inches of gravel and the anti-weed, water-permeable
membrane) was likely to be the same as that outside, and as anything
above ground was going to be inside the greenhouse anyway, it probably
didn't make much difference. So my vine is planted IN the greenhouse
(simply to make it easier to apply water to the root system near the
stem/trunk). Is this a major error?

I'll be installing an auto watering system in the next couple of
weeks, can anyone tell me how much water a decent size vine needs. I
intend set the system to water twice as day as I do now, but I'm not
sure about the amount. At the moment I give the vine a good sized
watering can - about 1.5 gals? - at each watering. Is that enough? The
plant seems healthy, and no signs of any problems so far.

Thanks in advance

Tim