Old 15-05-2004, 05:14 PM
auntie_biotic

Default How to plant dahlias

could someone please advise me on the correct method of planting dahlias
Thanks

auntie_biotic
http://www.tbandu.co.uk

Old 15-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Brian

Your Dahlias will be either plants or 'dryish' tubers. You should also know
the potential height.
Plans should be put out in a couple of weeks with the soil up to the present
level. Place a support at the same time.
Tubers should be planted deep enough to ensure the top point is about an
inch below the surface. Again with support. These could go out now. The top
is recognised by having little shoots arising or where you can see last
year's growth was removed. If still in doubt place them sideways~~they will
recover but be a little late!!
Best Wishes Brian 'flayb' to respond.

Old 15-05-2004, 07:14 PM
auntie_biotic

Thanks Brian
Should have mentioned I have some tubers and cant work out which way is up.

Old 15-05-2004, 10:14 PM
David Hill

You may find this site to be of use.
http://www.dahlias.net/dahwebpg/Cult...ex/Culture.htm

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 15-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "auntie_biotic" contains
these words:

Thanks Brian
Should have mentioned I have some tubers and cant work out which way is up.

No good asking Brian, he doesn't even write posts the right way up :-(

Janet

Old 16-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Bob Hobden

"David Hill" wrote in message
You may find this site to be of use.
http://www.dahlias.net/dahwebpg/Cult...ex/Culture.htm

--

And, if you live in the South you can leave them in the ground over winter
but do plant them deeper to start with and remember to use slug pellets next

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 16-05-2004, 12:10 AM
auntie_biotic

Thanks very much for that useful site

--
auntie_biotic
http://www.tbandu.co.uk

Old 16-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Brian

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "auntie_biotic" contains
these words:

Thanks Brian
Should have mentioned I have some tubers and cant work out which way is

up.

No good asking Brian, he doesn't even write posts the right way up :-(

Jane

Many thanks Janet. However none had given an answer. I wouldn't plant my
'Arran Banners' correctly either, in the hope they wouldn't grow! Of all the
fine Arran Potatoes, that one was atrocious!! Probably isn't even available
now Not that its got anything to do with the request.
Regards Brian.

dahlias...am I in trouble seepnezorf1 Gardening 2 02-06-2003 03:32 AM
Dahlias Starlord North Carolina 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias Starlord Gardening 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias for Spring Planting Starlord Gardening 0 20-02-2003 03:51 AM
Dahlias and Cannas at Wisley Ian Wilkins United Kingdom 0 30-09-2002 10:24 AM