Old 17-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Red Devil

Default Bees...

I was knocking down my bedroom ceiling yesterday when suddenly some bees
started falling into the room from above. I think that they are bumble bees,
as some of them are very fat and over an inch long. There is some loft
insulation between the joists so I can't really see where that are actually
coming from. I presume the nest may actually be in the outside wall.

Is there any way that I could gently persuade to 'move them on' as I don't
want to kill them.
My wife is really scared of them, so they will have to go.

I would be grateful for any help.

TIA

Con.

Old 18-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Franz Heymann

"Red Devil" wrote in message
I was knocking down my bedroom ceiling yesterday when suddenly some

bees
started falling into the room from above. I think that they are

bumble bees,
as some of them are very fat and over an inch long. There is some

loft
insulation between the joists so I can't really see where that are

actually
coming from. I presume the nest may actually be in the outside wall.

Is there any way that I could gently persuade to 'move them on' as I

don't
want to kill them.
My wife is really scared of them, so they will have to go.
I would be grateful for any help.

They are bumble bees. Bumble bees do not sting.

Franz

Old 18-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:
| "Red Devil" wrote in message
| I was knocking down my bedroom ceiling yesterday when suddenly some
| bees
| started falling into the room from above. I think that they are
| bumble bees,
| as some of them are very fat and over an inch long. There is some
| loft
| insulation between the joists so I can't really see where that are
| actually
| coming from. I presume the nest may actually be in the outside wall.
|
| Is there any way that I could gently persuade to 'move them on' as I
| don't
| want to kill them.
| My wife is really scared of them, so they will have to go.
| I would be grateful for any help.
|
| They are bumble bees. Bumble bees do not sting.

While they can sting, I agree that they almost never do. You can
pick them up gently in your bare hands with a negligible risk of
being stung - the only times I have ever been stung is when I have
trodden on them in bare feet, and my sympathy was mainly with the
bee!

The solution in this case is to restore the ceiling (which I assume
is planned, anyway), when they will cause no further trouble, and
get on with pollinating the flowers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-05-2004, 08:21 PM
len gardener

g'day red devil,

after reading the other responses, if you realy want to coax them to
leave you could try smoking them out this works with most of the bee
family, then block off any entrences that they may use to come back
in.

see a beekeeper he may offer advice on smkoe pots or even do the task
for you for a small consideration.

len

sni[pped
--
happy gardening

The NO in return addy is a spam trap.

Old 18-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , len gardener
wrote:

g'day red devil,

after reading the other responses, if you realy want to coax them to
leave you could try smoking them out this works with most of the bee
family, then block off any entrences that they may use to come back
in.

Actually bees (honeybees that is) have an odd reaction to smoke. They
rush to their stores and gorge themselves on honey, fearing that they
may have to survive a catastrophic forest fire. this makes them placid,
and easy to handle, rather than chasing them away. And that's why
beekeepers use smoke guns.

I would indeed suggest contacting a local beekeeper. I'm a fairly
inexperienced one myself, but I find the experienced ones (who may know
about bumble bees) very helpful. Your local fire brigade may well have
a phone number.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address
Old 19-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Red Devil

I was hoping to leave them alone, but they seem to be swarming very near one
of the exposed joists which is now bare having removed the ceiling. I can't
really see how many of them there are, as there is some insulation hiding
them.
I fear that as I have to plaster the wall, put up and plaster the ceiling,
that I may have to try and move them. They keep dropping down and flying
around the room. I am afraid that when I start working near them, they will
get annoyed and maybe sting me.

Con