Old 18-05-2004, 02:27 AM
Dave Liquorice

Default mower or strimmer

On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:03:14 +0100, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

Quite, 10' each side can hardly be called a lawn, no offence.

Actually the OP said 10 sq feet, if he really meant that (as opposed
to 10 foot square) then it really would be a small lawn.......

Er, no the OP said:

"I have a lawn growing that is approx 10 feet sq."

The slight ambiguity of that sentance is why I reworded it back as to
what I thought he really meant. ie an area 10' x 10' or 100 sq feet
not 2' x 5' or 10 sq feet.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 18-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Mike

apologies - I meant 10ftx10ft

thanks for all the tips so far

big dave

10 ft sq and 10ft x 10 ft are the same thing

10 sq ft = 3.16 ft x 3.16 ft

10 ft sq and 10 ft x 10 ft = 100 sq ft

Mike

Old 18-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Sam

Beware the PD cheapy hover! We bought one last year as a stop gap. It worked
for a few weeks, and actually worked very well, until the rotor that holds
the plastic blades and provides the hover exploded sending sharp plastic
shards up to 15 feet. It frightened the hell out of my wife.

In the end we got a cheap McCulloch petrol rotary from Argos in their sale.
Apart from the hassle of getting the thing in and out of our tool shed it is
a lot quicker and easier than any of the electric mowers we've had, even on
the 20' diameter circular lawn at the back. So if you've got the space for
storage maybe spending a little extra on a small petrol rotary might not
actually be overkill.

Sam

Old 18-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Tumbleweed

"Sam" wrote in message

Beware the PD cheapy hover! We bought one last year as a stop gap. It

worked
for a few weeks, and actually worked very well, until the rotor that holds
the plastic blades and provides the hover exploded sending sharp plastic
shards up to 15 feet. It frightened the hell out of my wife.

In the end we got a cheap McCulloch petrol rotary from Argos in their

sale.
Apart from the hassle of getting the thing in and out of our tool shed it

is
a lot quicker and easier than any of the electric mowers we've had, even

on
the 20' diameter circular lawn at the back. So if you've got the space for
storage maybe spending a little extra on a small petrol rotary might not
actually be overkill.

Sam

Your lawn is 3x the size of his. For 10ft sq a push mower would be fine (If
you can still get them?)
I would think it could be mowed in 5 mins or less, it can take that long to
start a petrol mower IME!!
Or for one trip to the garage to buy the petrol, he could probably mow his
lawn 10x!

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 26-05-2004, 01:15 AM
Earnest Trawler

But at £22 new from Argos not worth the risk. If the £1 car boot
jobbie blows up on the first outing your a £1 down and all the hassle
of finding another. If the Argos blows up you just take it back and
get another.

I guess the OP is looking at the Power Devil jobbie, how about the
other PD one for £44.99 with "free" trimmer "worth" £14.99. The extra
£10 gets you a collection box and another cut height and possibly more
important wheels, the cheaper PD is a hover. Wheels don't mind to much
a bumps and holes, hovers not so sure. Loose the air cushion and you
sliding the thing on the grass rather than rolling it along on
wheels.

I bought the £44.99 mower with "free" trimmer last week. It's a good little
mower, does my small lawn just fine, not tried the trimmer yet.

Earnest Trawler

Old 30-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Sue

"Tumbleweed" wrote
[...] For 10ft sq a push mower would be fine (If
you can still get them?)
I would think it could be mowed in 5 mins or less, it can take that long
to start a petrol mower IME!!
Or for one trip to the garage to buy the petrol, he could probably mow his
lawn 10x!

And it's a good little upper body workout into the bargain; save on gym
fees!

--
Sue

Strimmer ? Ted[_4_] United Kingdom 1 17-04-2009 06:03 PM
Strimmer advice needed. (was How to rewind line on to strimmer head?) Adam Lipscombe United Kingdom 2 22-05-2008 02:22 PM
Where to buy a petrol strimmer? Mike United Kingdom 8 08-06-2003 04:32 PM
Where to buy a petrol strimmer? Mike United Kingdom 6 05-06-2003 08:44 AM
electric shock from my strimmer Charlieb United Kingdom 6 17-10-2002 01:31 PM