Old 17-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Big Dave

Default mower or strimmer

Hello all. I am a newbie gardener. I have a lawn growing that is approx 10
feet sq. I need a cheap mower. I have seen one in argos / index for £22.
Will it suffice or will I need a better one? also, what about a strimmer
type thing to do the lawn with? any good?

many thanks

big dave the non gardner

Old 17-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Bob

"Big Dave" wrote in message
Hello all. I am a newbie gardener. I have a lawn growing that is approx 10
feet sq. I need a cheap mower. I have seen one in argos / index for £22.
Will it suffice or will I need a better one? also, what about a strimmer
type thing to do the lawn with? any good?

many thanks

big dave the non gardner

For a small area like that, it's not worth spending a great deal on a
mower - it won't be used enough to wear out. I wouldn't try to use a
strimmer on the lawn - you won't get a neat finish, although you might want
to buy one to do the edges with, if the mower can't get to them

Bob

Old 17-05-2004, 06:16 PM
martin

On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:26:18 +0100, "Bob"
wrote:

"Big Dave" wrote in message
Hello all. I am a newbie gardener. I have a lawn growing that is approx 10
feet sq. I need a cheap mower. I have seen one in argos / index for £22.
Will it suffice or will I need a better one? also, what about a strimmer
type thing to do the lawn with? any good?

many thanks

big dave the non gardner

For a small area like that, it's not worth spending a great deal on a
mower - it won't be used enough to wear out. I wouldn't try to use a
strimmer on the lawn - you won't get a neat finish, although you might want
to buy one to do the edges with, if the mower can't get to them

Big Dave could probably get something suitable for cutting his lawn at
a car boot sale.
Old 17-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Mike

"Big Dave" wrote in message
Hello all. I am a newbie gardener. I have a lawn growing that is approx 10
feet sq. I need a cheap mower. I have seen one in argos / index for £22.
Will it suffice or will I need a better one? also, what about a strimmer
type thing to do the lawn with? any good?

many thanks

big dave the non gardner

'bout the size of our lawn and we, sorry, 'her out of doors' uses a small
electric flymo.

Takes longer to clean it than use it :-))

Mike
--
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Reunion Bracklesham Bay May 21st - 24th
Nat.Service (RAF) Assoc. Cosford Parade / Social Weekend 25th - 28th June

Old 17-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:33:17 +0200, martin wrote:

For a small area like that, it's not worth spending a great deal on
a mower...

Quite, 10' each side can hardly be called a lawn, no offence.

Big Dave could probably get something suitable for cutting his lawn
at a car boot sale.

But at =A322 new from Argos not worth the risk. If the =A31 car boot
jobbie blows up on the first outing your a =A31 down and all the hassle =

of finding another. If the Argos blows up you just take it back and
get another.

I guess the OP is looking at the Power Devil jobbie, how about the
other PD one for =A344.99 with "free" trimmer "worth" =A314.99. The extr=
=A310 gets you a collection box and another cut height and possibly more=

important wheels, the cheaper PD is a hover. Wheels don't mind to much
a bumps and holes, hovers not so sure. Loose the air cushion and you
sliding the thing on the grass rather than rolling it along on
wheels.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 17-05-2004, 09:20 PM
martin

On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:00:27 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:33:17 +0200, martin wrote:

For a small area like that, it's not worth spending a great deal on
a mower...

Quite, 10' each side can hardly be called a lawn, no offence.

Big Dave could probably get something suitable for cutting his lawn
at a car boot sale.

But at £22 new from Argos not worth the risk. If the £1 car boot
jobbie blows up on the first outing your a £1 down and all the hassle
of finding another. If the Argos blows up you just take it back and
get another.

I guess the OP is looking at the Power Devil jobbie, how about the
other PD one for £44.99 with "free" trimmer "worth" £14.99. The extra
£10 gets you a collection box and another cut height and possibly more
important wheels, the cheaper PD is a hover. Wheels don't mind to much
a bumps and holes, hovers not so sure. Loose the air cushion and you
sliding the thing on the grass rather than rolling it along on
wheels.

How about a Braun Ladyshave? :-)
Old 17-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Chris

"Big Dave" wrote in message
: Hello all. I am a newbie gardener. I have a lawn growing that is approx 10
: feet sq. I need a cheap mower. I have seen one in argos / index for £22.
: Will it suffice or will I need a better one? also, what about a strimmer
: type thing to do the lawn with? any good?
:
:
: many thanks
:
: big dave the non gardner
:
:

A petrol mower is the best, no pestering lead to get in the way, have a look
on ebay.

Old 17-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Broadback

Chris wrote:

"Big Dave" wrote in message
: Hello all. I am a newbie gardener. I have a lawn growing that is approx 10
: feet sq. I need a cheap mower. I have seen one in argos / index for £22.
: Will it suffice or will I need a better one? also, what about a strimmer
: type thing to do the lawn with? any good?
:
:
: many thanks
:
: big dave the non gardner

Reminds me the other day I watched a council worker edging lawns with a
petrol strimmer the same as mine, using it "upside down", he was
proceeding at a slow walking pace and making a great job.

Got home, tried that, not as easy as it looked, made a right hash, more
practice needed. Anyone got a lawn I could practice on, I don't want to
mess mine up!
--
Please only reply to Newsgroup as emails
to this address are deleted on arrival.
Old 17-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:30:48 +0100, Chris wrote:

I have a lawn growing that is approx 10 feet sq.

A petrol mower is the best, no pestering lead to get in the way,
have a look on ebay.

But would be a pig to manouver on a bit of grass 10' square and you'd
spend far more time checking the oil, fueling it and cleaning than
actually mowing.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 17-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message Tf9qc.12119$7S2.8021@newsfe1-win, Chris
writes

"Big Dave" wrote in message
: Hello all. I am a newbie gardener. I have a lawn growing that is approx 10
: feet sq. I need a cheap mower. I have seen one in argos / index for £22.
: Will it suffice or will I need a better one? also, what about a strimmer
: type thing to do the lawn with? any good?

A petrol mower is the best, no pestering lead to get in the way,

noisier, smellier, heavier and total overkill for this little patch of
lawn
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Old 17-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:33:17 +0200, martin wrote:

For a small area like that, it's not worth spending a great deal on
a mower...

Quite, 10' each side can hardly be called a lawn, no offence.

Actually the OP said 10 sq feet, if he really meant that (as opposed to
10 foot square) then it really would be a small lawn.......

Old 17-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Tumbleweed

"Chris" wrote in message

"Big Dave" wrote in message
: Hello all. I am a newbie gardener. I have a lawn growing that is approx

10
: feet sq. I need a cheap mower. I have seen one in argos / index for £22.
: Will it suffice or will I need a better one? also, what about a strimmer
: type thing to do the lawn with? any good?
:
:
: many thanks
:
: big dave the non gardner
:
:

A petrol mower is the best, no pestering lead to get in the way, have a

look
on ebay.

Good advice for a lawn 10ftx10ft, probably a ride-on one would be best?

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 17-05-2004, 11:25 PM
David Hill

Go for the Argos mower.......
Years ago my Mother had a lawn aprox. 20ft x 30ft and she bought a Black and
decker electric mower, it did the job for almost 8 years.
As for edging, then a car boot sale for a pair of edging shears for a couple
of quid, after al you only have 40 ft to cut, shouldn't take you 10 mins to
do the lot.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 18-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Chris

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

:
: Good advice for a lawn 10ftx10ft, probably a ride-on one would be best?
:

Give over TW, the OP said "approx 10 feet sq", thats at least 9 sq metres, a
sit and ride mower would be good if he can get one for £22.00 OTOH he
might get a nifty little petrol one very cheap off ebay.

Old 18-05-2004, 02:25 AM
Big Dave

"Chris" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

:
: Good advice for a lawn 10ftx10ft, probably a ride-on one would be best?
:

Give over TW, the OP said "approx 10 feet sq", thats at least 9 sq metres,

sit and ride mower would be good if he can get one for £22.00 OTOH he
might get a nifty little petrol one very cheap off ebay.

apologies - I meant 10ftx10ft

thanks for all the tips so far

big dave

Strimmer ? Ted[_4_] United Kingdom 1 17-04-2009 06:03 PM
Strimmer advice needed. (was How to rewind line on to strimmer head?) Adam Lipscombe United Kingdom 2 22-05-2008 02:22 PM
Where to buy a petrol strimmer? Mike United Kingdom 8 08-06-2003 04:32 PM
Where to buy a petrol strimmer? Mike United Kingdom 6 05-06-2003 08:44 AM
electric shock from my strimmer Charlieb United Kingdom 6 17-10-2002 01:31 PM