Old 21-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Frogleg

Default Pruning parsley?

On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:02:08 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

My wife has successfully (maybe too successfully!) grown some parsley. It's
now about 2 feet high and growing. My understanding is that we should pinch
out all flowers,

Oops. Missed the 'flower-pinching' part. Don't bother. It won't make
the plant produce more useful leaves -- 2nd yr parsley is inferior in
taste and texture anyhow. Just let it go to seed, gather the seed, and
start new plants.
Old 21-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Paul
D.Smith writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

With bottom posting, or as someone here phrased it rather better, in-
line posting, what you see is first, enough of the original post to
remind you what the point is, then the response from the new poster. If
there are answers to several different points, then the respondent
answers each directly below the relevant point. So you have a sequence
of point 1, answer1, point 2 answer 2 ... rather as I have done here.

I think I see. So this is a bottom post, right?

Yes! :-)
But you could have improved it by snipping all but the most relevant
bits of text from the earlier posts - all you need to leave in is just
enough context to remind people what you're talking about.

Main problem I see is that
with a top post, I know where the most recent, and therefore useful,
information is - at the top of the mail. With bottom posting, the start of
the most recent information is at some unknown point up from the end of the
mail.

Ah, then that is a defect in your newsreader, or the way you have your
newsreader set up! I'm using Turnpike, which is one of the most commonly
used. When you hit 'reply' the test your responding to has a ''
inserted in front of it. And each previous repsonse has an extra '', so
you can tell who said what by how many ''s there are.

But even better - on screen, any text with one or more ''s is in red,
and only the most recent addition is in black. So I just home in on the
black text (and unless I know the poster to be one who makes valuable
additions, I often do not even bother to scroll down if I can't see any
black on the first screen)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 21-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Paul
D.Smith writes
As an example, I monitor mailing lists where a posting may be a 10th level
response (yes, really). I can assure you that trying to sift through
interleaved "" and all the other variants of "mark my response",
together with various better or worse repaginations (i.e. line breaks in
weird and wonderful places) soon makes you realise why business uses
top-posting.

As someone who uses email for both business and pleasure, I find top
posting for business immensely tedious. When it's a long email (as most
of mine are) I have to add extra text to my reply to indicate which of
the various points I am addressing. And no-one ever removes any of the
early emails in the chain, so if I need a hard copy and unthinkingly
just hit 'print', I get about 20 pages of print out.

But it's the convention, so I go along with it.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 25-05-2004, 05:31 PM
JennyC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Paul D.Smith" writes:

| My wife has successfully (maybe too successfully!) grown some parsley.

It's
| now about 2 feet high and growing. My understanding is that we should

pinch
| out all flowers, but should we prune it?
|
| To me it seems to be getting tall and woody, but what do I know about

herbs!

Forget it. It is a biennial, and will flower, seed and die. She
needs to plant some more. If she plants some every year, then
she should always have some for use, except in the depths of
winter. In theory - some of us are not good at growing it ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick is right, sow fresh every year.........................

ON PARSLEY AND WOMAN POWER

1883 - "Where parsley grows in the garden, the missus is the master."

1905 - Where the mistress is the master, The parsley grows the faster.

1969 - It is still a widely held.....belief that parsley...flourishes best
either when sown by the housewife rather than by her husband, or in gardens of
homes where she is "master".

(More totally irrelevant snippets at
http://www.globalpsychics.com/lp/Sup...rsley_list.htm)

Jenny (who parsley flourishes every year........!)

Parsley. Any special sowing requirements? WasTa United Kingdom 11 05-11-2003 07:42 AM
cow parsley papa United Kingdom 3 10-06-2003 10:20 AM
cow parsley papa United Kingdom 1 09-06-2003 04:32 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 3 04-03-2003 10:27 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:03 PM