Old 21-05-2004, 08:14 AM
kiticat

Default risk of ground frost

kiticat wrote:

help please!
I was too eager and silly this year and have had things like sunflowers
runner beans and lettuces out in the garden since the beginning of May.
They've been doing really well. Now I see theres a risk of ground frost
over the next couple of nights I havent got any fleece, would
juryrigging newspapers or something over them help?
Thanks
SarahH

EEK!! Clearly not awake - corrected header :-/
Sarah H

Old 21-05-2004, 09:10 AM

In article , kiticat
writes
kiticat wrote:

help please!
I was too eager and silly this year and have had things like sunflowers
runner beans and lettuces out in the garden since the beginning of May.
They've been doing really well. Now I see theres a risk of ground frost
over the next couple of nights I havent got any fleece, would
juryrigging newspapers or something over them help?
Thanks
SarahH

EEK!! Clearly not awake - corrected header :-/
Sarah H

The first header refers to a very common disease and should be guarded
against
--
David
Old 21-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

she message
from kiticat contains these words:

EEK!! Clearly not awake - corrected header :-/

I think we are all alertd to the danger of the original, but thanks for
the reminder.....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 21-05-2004, 11:10 AM
kiticat

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

EEK!! Clearly not awake - corrected header :-/

I think we are all alertd to the danger of the original, but thanks for
the reminder.....

lol - you're welcome!
Sarah H

Old 21-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Alan R Williams

kiticat writes:

kiticat wrote:

help please!
I was too eager and silly this year and have had things like
sunflowers runner beans and lettuces out in the garden since the
beginning of May. They've been doing really well. Now I see theres a
risk of ground frost over the next couple of nights I havent got
any fleece, would juryrigging newspapers or something over them help?
Thanks
SarahH

EEK!! Clearly not awake - corrected header :-/

Well covering all your plants with decking, and a water feature, would
probably save them from any frost.

Sarah H

Alan

--
Alan Williams, Room IT301, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
Old 21-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

kiticat wrote:

help please!
I was too eager and silly this year and have had things like sunflowers
runner beans and lettuces out in the garden since the beginning of May.
They've been doing really well. Now I see theres a risk of ground frost
over the next couple of nights I havent got any fleece, would
juryrigging newspapers or something over them help?
Thanks

Probably. Even putting some plastic net over helps, and old net curtains
draped over are even better.

Old 21-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Bob

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
kiticat wrote:

help please!
I was too eager and silly this year and have had things like sunflowers
runner beans and lettuces out in the garden since the beginning of May.
They've been doing really well. Now I see theres a risk of ground frost
over the next couple of nights I havent got any fleece, would
juryrigging newspapers or something over them help?
Thanks

Probably. Even putting some plastic net over helps, and old net curtains
draped over are even better.

I noticed on Tuesday the the 5 day forcast on the BBC site had my bit of
Northamptonshire listed as -3C for tonight. Not surprisingly, they've
changed their minds over the past couple of days, but extremes seem to be a
"feature" of the BBC 5 day forcasts.

Other weather sites don't forcast such nonsense. I wonder why the BBC even
bothers to put out a 5 day forcast when they are always so wrong.

Bob

Old 21-05-2004, 04:26 PM
kiticat

Bob wrote:

Other weather sites don't forcast such nonsense. I wonder why the BBC even
bothers to put out a 5 day forcast when they are always so wrong.

Bob

G A question for uk.sci.weather me thinks!
Sarah

Old 21-05-2004, 04:30 PM
kiticat

Alan R Williams wrote:

EEK!! Clearly not awake - corrected header :-/

Well covering all your plants with decking, and a water feature, would
probably save them from any frost.

Sarah H

Alan

lol, bit of blue paint might help as well
Sarah H

Old 21-05-2004, 04:31 PM
kiticat

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

kiticat wrote:

help please!
I was too eager and silly this year and have had things like sunflowers
runner beans and lettuces out in the garden since the beginning of May.
They've been doing really well. Now I see theres a risk of ground frost
over the next couple of nights I havent got any fleece, would
juryrigging newspapers or something over them help?
Thanks

Probably. Even putting some plastic net over helps, and old net curtains
draped over are even better.

Thanks Jaques, Ive got some net left over from dress making - I'll try
that - fingers crossed!
Sarah

Old 21-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Robert

kiticat wrote:
: Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
:
:: kiticat wrote:
::
::
::: help please!
::: I was too eager and silly this year and have had things like
::: sunflowers runner beans and lettuces out in the garden since the
::: beginning of May. They've been doing really well. Now I see theres
::: a risk of ground frost over the next couple of nights I havent
::: got any fleece, would juryrigging newspapers or something over them
::: help?
::: Thanks
::
::
:: Probably. Even putting some plastic net over helps, and old net
:: curtains draped over are even better.
::
:
: Thanks Jaques, Ive got some net left over from dress making - I'll try
: that - fingers crossed!
: Sarah

Newspapers will do it perfectly well though

Old 21-05-2004, 07:12 PM
kiticat

Robert wrote:

::
::
:: Probably. Even putting some plastic net over helps, and old net
:: curtains draped over are even better.
::
:
: Thanks Jaques, Ive got some net left over from dress making - I'll try
: that - fingers crossed!
: Sarah

Newspapers will do it perfectly well though

G My garden has taken on a strange appearence now with cloths and
newspapers pegged around the place!
Thanks for everyones advice!
Sarah H

Ground frost Dave Hill United Kingdom 1 23-07-2011 06:38 PM
Ground frost Lol[_4_] United Kingdom 17 04-05-2010 02:48 PM
Risk of frost? JennyC United Kingdom 13 17-04-2005 10:46 PM
risk of ground force kiticat United Kingdom 0 21-05-2004 08:14 AM
RISK ASSESSMENT STRATEGY FOR BT CROPS IN THE NETHERLANDS David Kendra sci.agriculture 0 16-09-2003 03:07 AM