Old 16-04-2005, 10:32 AM
JennyC

Default Risk of frost?

I'm wondering whether to start putting my container plants outside yet ..

And also whether I can start to plant out seedlings that are taking of with a
vengeance after all the nice weather we have had in the last few weeks......

I have masses of stuff and can hardly get into the GH ATM !

I know I should wait till May but seeing as I live in the city it is always
fairly sheltered here, so I think I might get away with it!

Any thoughts ??

Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)

Old 16-04-2005, 10:47 AM
GeoffH

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:32:28 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

Jenny,
I'm wondering whether to start putting my container plants outside yet ..

I wait till end May beginning June.
Put some out a couple of years ago mid May and we had a week of -5C so
you can imagine what happened to the plants :-(

And also whether I can start to plant out seedlings that are taking of with a
vengeance after all the nice weather we have had in the last few weeks......

I'm leaving mine in the greenhouse until above.
Once bitten etc

I have masses of stuff and can hardly get into the GH ATM !

Any empty shelves inside?

I know I should wait till May but seeing as I live in the city it is always
fairly sheltered here, so I think I might get away with it!

Ah now you could just get away with it.
I'm in Norfolk so I wouldn't chance it.

(Rotterdam the Netherlands)

Could you still get a blast from Siberia or Scandinavia?
GeoffH
Old 16-04-2005, 10:56 AM
JennyC

"GeoffH" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:32:28 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

Jenny,
I'm wondering whether to start putting my container plants outside yet ..

I wait till end May beginning June.

Aagggghh - we go on holiday in May, so they will HAVE to go out before then :~)

Put some out a couple of years ago mid May and we had a week of -5C so
you can imagine what happened to the plants :-(

And also whether I can start to plant out seedlings that are taking of with a
vengeance after all the nice weather we have had in the last few weeks......

I'm leaving mine in the greenhouse until above.
Once bitten etc

I have masses of stuff and can hardly get into the GH ATM !

Any empty shelves inside?

Nope!

I know I should wait till May but seeing as I live in the city it is always
fairly sheltered here, so I think I might get away with it!

Ah now you could just get away with it.
I'm in Norfolk so I wouldn't chance it.

(Rotterdam the Netherlands)

Could you still get a blast from Siberia or Scandinavia?
GeoffH

There is always the chance of frost of course, but with the global warming going
on I seem to feel the climate is becoming warmer/wetter anyway.

jenny

Old 16-04-2005, 11:08 AM

Had a standard fuchsia out for two weeks now, in a sheltered postion,
but we have had a couple of cold nights, and it is still very much OK.

Old 16-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Bob Hobden

mike wrote ...
Had a standard fuchsia out for two weeks now, in a sheltered postion,
but we have had a couple of cold nights, and it is still very much OK.

Was told this morning by an early rising neighbour that we had a frost this
morning, at least his windscreen was iced. According to the weather forecast
the temp was only going down to 4 or 5°C last night so there seems to be
something awry.
Luckily our citrus and a few fuchsias that have been out all winter are
still OK.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 16-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Klara

In message , Sacha
writes
I know I should wait till May but seeing as I live in the city it is always
fairly sheltered here, so I think I might get away with it!

Any thoughts ??

-2 is forecast for us tonight in South Devon's South Hams. Your risk!
;-(
--

It seems to depend on which forecast you follow, but 0 is forecast for
us tonight, and -3 tomorrow, by the BBC...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 16-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

mike wrote ...
Had a standard fuchsia out for two weeks now, in a sheltered postion,
but we have had a couple of cold nights, and it is still very much OK.

Fuschias are fairly hardy.

Was told this morning by an early rising neighbour that we had a frost this
morning, at least his windscreen was iced. According to the weather forecast
the temp was only going down to 4 or 5°C last night so there seems to be
something awry.

Not at all. Frosts in April are normal for most of the UK, and so
are weather forecasts getting it wrong.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-04-2005, 08:51 PM
JennyC

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , Sacha
writes
I know I should wait till May but seeing as I live in the city it is always
fairly sheltered here, so I think I might get away with it!

Any thoughts ??

-2 is forecast for us tonight in South Devon's South Hams. Your risk!
;-(
--

It seems to depend on which forecast you follow, but 0 is forecast for
us tonight, and -3 tomorrow, by the BBC...
Klara, Gatwick basin

Yikes!!!
+7 to 8 forecasted here tonight :~)
Jenny

Old 16-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

mike wrote ...
Had a standard fuchsia out for two weeks now, in a sheltered
postion, but we have had a couple of cold nights, and it is still
very much OK.

Fuschias are fairly hardy.

Was told this morning by an early rising neighbour that we had a
frost this morning, at least his windscreen was iced. According to
the weather forecast the temp was only going down to 4 or 5°C last
night so there seems to be something awry.

Not at all. Frosts in April are normal for most of the UK, and so
are weather forecasts getting it wrong.

Has anybody tested the claimed frost-defending properties of
seaweed-extract sprays?

--
Mike.

Old 17-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Klara

In message , JennyC
writes
-2 is forecast for us tonight in South Devon's South Hams. Your risk!
;-(
--

It seems to depend on which forecast you follow, but 0 is forecast for
us tonight, and -3 tomorrow, by the BBC...
Klara, Gatwick basin

Yikes!!!
+7 to 8 forecasted here tonight :~) Jenny

The problem isn't that frosts are later - as Nick says, April frosts are
normal. It's that many plants come into bud much earlier, and so are
susceptible to them. In our 30 years here, for the first 20 we had
lovely wisteria blossom. In the last 10, only once, and we've lost them
again this year. :-((( Should have hung a sheet over them somehow....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 17-04-2005, 10:24 PM
shazzbat

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , JennyC
writes
-2 is forecast for us tonight in South Devon's South Hams. Your risk!
;-(
--
It seems to depend on which forecast you follow, but 0 is forecast for
us tonight, and -3 tomorrow, by the BBC...
Klara, Gatwick basin

Yikes!!!
+7 to 8 forecasted here tonight :~) Jenny

We had a sharp frost this morning in BH22, and later we went to a car boot
sale and saw loads of plants sagging sadly, obviously frosted, possibly at
the car boot since many stall holders were there from 0600 or even earlier,
it was still frosty then. We also saw loads of people buying trays of
bedding and I earned myself a black look from one of the sellers when I
mentioned to a buyer that they would become victims also.

A week or so ago we had our first earlies showing by about an inch or so at
the allotment, and then we went down there again and there had obviously
been a frost which had turned their tops brown, although there had not been
a frost at home only 2 miles away.

And why is it that now we've had a wicked frost here now, the potatoes which
have sprung up in the compost are just fine, are they immune or something?

Steve

Old 17-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Klara

In message , Rod
writes
As are ground frosts at above ground air temperatures a little above
0C. Here if we see +3 or lower on our thermometers near the house we
will see groundfrost in known frosty spots a few metres away. It went
down to +2C last night but luckily the early spuds aren't in a bad
place for frost - they're untouched. I think I was a bit hasty putting
some of our bedding into the cold house - for the same reason as Jenny,
we were running out of room in the heated house. They're a bit checked
but will be OK when it warms up.

Just checked: -4 forecast for here for tonight, -1 for tomorrow ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin