Old 25-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Douglas

Default about me rose plant

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Douglas" wrote in message

"good golly miss Molly" wrote in

message
news:_8qrc.436$X64.202@newsfe3-gui...

"dummy_gardener"

wrote in
message s.com...
Hi Guys,

I was living in flats before so I did not get a chance to do any
gardening. Now I have got a small garden, but I dunno anything

about
the gardening at all. Basically the garden already has got some

rose
plants and few other plants which i have not got a clue what

they are -
they may be even some weeds (pardon me I am not good at

English
either)

About the Rose plants -

I have got two tall grown rose plants one of the two plants got
flowers and florishing, the other one has got lots of buds than

the
other, but these buds are falling down and some kind of granules
falling down from the rose tree and it looks like sicky. I

really do
not know how to explain the desease.

please some one help me what I suppose to do for that tree,
I really want that tree go back to normal

I also want to grow some tomatoes , chillies and beans etc in my

little
garden - Is it nice season to put the seeds? How can I carefully
maintain them? please advice this little dummy
I can really recommend some books you can buy new from B&Q or

occasionally
from carboot sales. They are the 'expert' series. I recently

bought 'the
vegetable expert' and 'the garden expert' but you can get

houseplant one
and
rose one and tree and shrub one. They cover everything from

species
identification, to pest and pest control etc.
I did a quick look on ebay and they have several on there. Here

is the

**********************************
Yes; re, the *Expert" series of slim books,- they are well-known

and
highly regarded: I have fogotten the well-known Author but they look

like
the usual magazines which bedeck Newsagent's shelves.
I have gleaned plenty of good sensible and workable knowledge from

them, and
can recommend them.

The books were written by Dr. Hessayon. They are all excellent value.

Franz

*********************

Thank you, Franz!.
I was annoyed at myself for not being able to remember Dr. Hessayon's name.
But there you go! -- "age marches on!", - and all that!.
Good luck to you and yours, and everyone else.
Doug.

********************
Doug.

Old 25-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Douglas

"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:50:37 +0100, "good golly miss Molly"
wrote:

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
This year was the first year we have ever sprayed
anything on them - soapy water to get rid of greenfly.

The best way to get rid of finches and blue tits as greenfly is what

they
feed their nestlings on :0(

Neither the finches nor the blue tits that we have fed all winter were
at all interested in our greenfly.
Soapy water did get rid of the greenfly.

********************************

Fed all winter?. I'm not an expert on migration of birds but the tits that
used to visit my garden for the summer. - (unfortunately we have seen
none at all for some years, - they were superseded by a solitary robin for
the winter which has also disappeared), - always migrated away for the
winter.
Mind you, - I live north-west alongside the Irish Sea near the Lake
District.
Strange thing, - at present we are enjoying lots of different Avian
visitors and,- (hear this!,) - we have a sparrow chirriping in the next door
eaves. Haven't heard sparrows for many years.
Perhaps you live down south where the ambient temp is about five degrees
higher than up here.
Doug.

*******************************

Old 25-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Douglas

"martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:24:40 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

Roses get every disease and pest under the sun. Chuck 'em away and grow
something else instead.

slabs of concrete? :-)

***********************
Slabs?.
Not quite!. - You jest!, - perhaps!.
For H.T.'s and standards hard spring pruning to about six to 9 inches.
For climbers prune to suit shape.
BTW, It is my belief there is no real cure for blackspot. all you can do
is hand-pick the affected leaves diligently and burn them. I have found
that it does tend to reduce the malady.
I am attenuating my garden work due to other interests, age and poverty, so
for this season and beyond I have abandoned some of the usual annual border
plants and planted about thirty roses of all sorts.
Doug.
**********************

Old 25-05-2004, 01:18 PM
martin

On Tue, 25 May 2004 08:57:06 +0100, "Douglas"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message

Neither the finches nor the blue tits that we have fed all winter were
at all interested in our greenfly
Soapy water did get rid of the greenfly.

********************************

Fed all winter?. I'm not an expert on migration of birds but the tits that
used to visit my garden for the summer. - (unfortunately we have seen
none at all for some years, - they were superseded by a solitary robin for
the winter which has also disappeared), - always migrated away for the
winter.

Perhaps they spend their winter holidays in our garden near Leiden in
Holland, though I doubt it as they nest here too. When I was a kid
living near York there were plenty of tits right through the winter.

Mind you, - I live north-west alongside the Irish Sea near the Lake
District.
Strange thing, - at present we are enjoying lots of different Avian
visitors and,- (hear this!,) - we have a sparrow chirriping in the next door
eaves. Haven't heard sparrows for many years.
Perhaps you live down south where the ambient temp is about five degrees
higher than up here.

I live to the south east of you roughly on the same latitude as
Norwich and about 6 miles from the North Sea.
Old 26-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

Our garden is alive with blue, great and coal tits right through the
winter.
Top end of Wensleydale, Yorkshire Dales.

Franz

Old 27-05-2004, 01:06 PM
martin

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:01:23 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Our garden is alive with blue, great and coal tits right through the
winter.
Top end of Wensleydale, Yorkshire Dales.

and finches?

Old 27-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

Our garden is alive with blue, great and coal tits right through

the
winter.
Top end of Wensleydale, Yorkshire Dales.

and finches?

Yes. Chaff, green, gold and sparrow.

Franz

Old 27-05-2004, 11:09 PM
martin

On Thu, 27 May 2004 20:37:06 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Our garden is alive with blue, great and coal tits right through

the
winter.
Top end of Wensleydale, Yorkshire Dales.

and finches?

Yes. Chaff, green, gold and sparrow.

Our tits made an appearance with this year's young today. One jay also
showed up, but no sign of the dozen or so finches that we were feeding
at one time
Old 28-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 May 2004 20:37:06 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Our garden is alive with blue, great and coal tits right through

the
winter.
Top end of Wensleydale, Yorkshire Dales.

and finches?

Yes. Chaff, green, gold and sparrow.

Our tits made an appearance with this year's young today. One jay

also
showed up, but no sign of the dozen or so finches that we were

feeding
at one time

Here, the chaffinces and sparrows are the only finches still
freeloading.

Franz