Old 21-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Registered User

Default about me rose plant

Hi Guys,

I was living in flats before so I did not get a chance to do any gardening. Now I have got a small garden, but I dunno anything about the gardening at all. Basically the garden already has got some rose plants and few other plants which i have not got a clue what they are - they may be even some weeds (pardon me I am not good at English either)

About the Rose plants -

I have got two tall grown rose plants one of the two plants got flowers and florishing, the other one has got lots of buds than the other, but these buds are falling down and some kind of granules falling down from the rose tree and it looks like sicky. I really do not know how to explain the desease.

please some one help me what I suppose to do for that tree,
I really want that tree go back to normal

I also want to grow some tomatoes , chillies and beans etc in my little garden - Is it nice season to put the seeds? How can I carefully maintain them? please advice this little dummy
Old 21-05-2004, 05:09 PM
good golly miss Molly

"dummy_gardener" wrote in
message s.com...
[...]

I can really recommend some books you can buy new from B&Q or occasionally
from carboot sales. They are the 'expert' series. I recently bought 'the
vegetable expert' and 'the garden expert' but you can get houseplant one and
rose one and tree and shrub one. They cover everything from species
identification, to pest and pest control etc.
I did a quick look on ebay and they have several on there. Here is the URL:
http://tinyurl.com/3ap4p

Old 21-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Tumbleweed

[...]

Roses get every disease and pest under the sun. Chuck 'em away and grow
something else instead.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 21-05-2004, 10:26 PM
good golly miss Molly

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I have several rose varieties in my garden. All got for free as this is a
large rose growing area. In autumn they harvest the rose bushes with a
machine and any left behind are simply ploughed into the field after a week.
I wait till I see them harvesting and then go and get any likely looking
ones before they get ploughed in . I never spray as I am organic. If I prune
at all it is simply lopping off whatever branch is in my way. My roses bloom
all year long and nothing bothers them. They get greenfly, and blackfly
which get eaten by birds. Otherwise, perfectly healthy.If yours get every
disease under the sun you must be doing something wrong.

Old 22-05-2004, 09:05 AM
martin

On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:24:40 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

Roses get every disease and pest under the sun. Chuck 'em away and grow
something else instead.

slabs of concrete? :-)

Old 22-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Douglas

"good golly miss Molly" wrote in message

[...]

**********************************
Yes; re, the *Expert" series of slim books,- they are well-known and
highly regarded: I have fogotten the well-known Author but they look like
the usual magazines which bedeck Newsagent's shelves.
I have gleaned plenty of good sensible and workable knowledge from them, and
can recommend them.
Doug.

**********************************

Old 22-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Douglas

[...]

*******************************
What should you do?.......
It all depends. 1. How old is it, 2. how does it look. 3. etc. are you
willing to give up smoking, beer, women, 4.Do you mind inroads into your
pocket-money.
To be serious, You buy your plants from the plant dealers in late autumn.
However, if time has passed you buy and it is very early spring, you will
find that that roses are still on the shelves in the garden centres. They
will have a few pruned potted well-established *in pot* roses left over from
the previous year, which are a bit pricey. (You should have bought these
last back-end.) They are very reliable and will flower well the first year
you have them.
If you are not in a position to stop the wife's gin money for a couple of
days, (in my case that is usually sufficient time to cover all
eventualities),
In earl Spring you will usually find pruned roses in pots at half the price.
This is because these are last year's unsold clear-outs from the fields in
winter which have been stuffed into pots of peat for sale.
Not much wrong with them, it's just that they are delayed and haven't yet
developed a proper new feeding-root system yet..
You look around to check on privacy and with fingers palmed over the pot
topsoil, upend it and gently knock the pot edge downwards on the staging.
Gently lower the upside-down plant onto your other hand and carefully hold
it to preserve its shape and not lose the soil, examine the sides to see if
the new thin roots have started to go down the pot sides.
Be careful not to lose the label, - that's not gentlemanly.
Put those showing thin white roots into the carrying basket for purchasing
and put the non-rooted rejects carefully back on the shelf properly
assembled with labels intact and the plant and soil right and proper.
Doug.
****************************

Old 22-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Douglas

wrote:

Roses get every disease and pest under the sun. Chuck 'em away and grow
something else instead.

slabs of concrete? :-)

***************************

C,-c,-c.-concrete??!!. Hrrumph!
Are you mad?.
You'll be putting down wooden staging next!!.
Apologise at once or I'll have to retire to my shed for a stiff slurp.
Doug.

**************************8

Old 23-05-2004, 08:00 AM
Tumbleweed

[...]

I have one rose in my garden, which staggers by from one year to the next,
it gets various diseases and occasionally I lop a bit off it, tahts all the
treatment it gets, the same as you appear to do to yours. I have in the past
done nothing to roses I paid for..they died (having got ever disease under
the sun) and treated them ..they died (having got ever disease under the
sun).
However, from what you post, my treatment (doing nothing) appears to be the
same as your 'organic' treatment I just see no point in ever growing another
one ever again.

Old 23-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Franz Heymann

"Douglas" wrote in message

[...]

The books were written by Dr. Hessayon. They are all excellent value.

Franz

Old 23-05-2004, 11:03 AM
martin

On Sat, 22 May 2004 20:52:24 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

[...]

On the other hand we have climbing roses we planted in 1984 and roses
planted by the previous owner of our house in 1975 all doing well.
Sometimes in a wet summer the climbing roses get a dose of mildew, but
normally they don't. This year was the first year we have ever sprayed
anything on them - soapy water to get rid of greenfly. I guess your
roses were already infected when you bought them???
Old 24-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Tumbleweed

wrote:

[...]

No, all perfectly healthy looking specimens. But I havent bought a rose for
about 15 years. I have one that is the sole survivor from when I moved in
(10 years ago) and one that was bought about 5 years ago by a friend. Thats
nearly dead :-(

Old 24-05-2004, 12:06 PM
good golly miss Molly

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
.. .
This year was the first year we have ever sprayed
anything on them - soapy water to get rid of greenfly.

The best way to get rid of finches and blue tits as greenfly is what they
feed their nestlings on :0(

Old 24-05-2004, 12:07 PM
martin

On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:50:37 +0100, "good golly miss Molly"
wrote:

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
This year was the first year we have ever sprayed
anything on them - soapy water to get rid of greenfly.

The best way to get rid of finches and blue tits as greenfly is what they
feed their nestlings on :0(

Neither the finches nor the blue tits that we have fed all winter were
at all interested in our greenfly.
Soapy water did get rid of the greenfly.