Old 27-05-2004, 11:22 AM
RichardS

Default Chelsea - the fern guys

Missed the results of the judging on Tuesday.

Does anyone know how the guys with the ferns fared?

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 27-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Neil Jones

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
.. .

Missed the results of the judging on Tuesday.

Does anyone know how the guys with the ferns fared?

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

If you're talking about Fernatix they got a gold.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/chelsea/2004/awards/awards.asp

Neil

Old 27-05-2004, 04:35 PM
RichardS

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
.. .

Missed the results of the judging on Tuesday.

Does anyone know how the guys with the ferns fared?

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

If you're talking about Fernatix they got a gold.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/chelsea/2004/awards/awards.asp

Neil

yup, they're the ones. Good, was hoping they'd continue their winning
streak.

I did look through the rhs site, but for some reason completely missed that
link.

Old 27-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "RichardS" noaccess@invalid contains these words:

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

Does anyone know how the guys with the ferns fared?

If you're talking about Fernatix they got a gold.

Thanks for the question and answer..I'd been wondering about them too,
and I'm very glad they did so well.

To me their dedicated plant-obsession was the epitome of what Chelsea
used to be all about, but has mostly lost since the Bunny'n'Diarmuid set
started cultivating meeja careers.

Janet.
Old 27-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Neil Jones

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
To me their dedicated plant-obsession was the epitome of what Chelsea
used to be all about, but has mostly lost since the Bunny'n'Diarmuid

set
started cultivating meeja careers.

Janet.

I tend to agree that there's too much focus on the show gardens, but
from what I can see the BBC is trying to emphasise a different part of
the show on each programme - there was much more about plants last night
than on previous shows.

Still not enough, though :-)

Neil

Old 27-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Bob Hobden

"Neil Jones" wrote in message as did
"Janet Baraclough

To me their dedicated plant-obsession was the epitome of what Chelsea
used to be all about, but has mostly lost since the Bunny'n'Diarmuid

set
started cultivating meeja careers.

..

I tend to agree that there's too much focus on the show gardens, but
from what I can see the BBC is trying to emphasise a different part of
the show on each programme - there was much more about plants last night
than on previous shows.

Still not enough, though :-)

Funny, but when we used to go to Chelsea every year we hardly bothered with
any of the gardens.
Even when we managed to get exhibitors passes and could get in very early we
did the marquee, just us and Lord Snowden and family in the whole tent,
wonderful, and didn't bother going over to the gardens.
Probably just proves I'm a plant person (now where can I put that?) not a
designed garden person. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 27-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Neil Jones" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
To me their dedicated plant-obsession was the epitome of what Chelsea
used to be all about, but has mostly lost since the Bunny'n'Diarmuid

set
started cultivating meeja careers.

Janet.

I tend to agree that there's too much focus on the show gardens, but
from what I can see the BBC is trying to emphasise a different part of
the show on each programme - there was much more about plants last night
than on previous shows.

Still not enough, though :-)

(Let's just assume for a lovely moment that the BBC research dept
takes urg seriously as a barometer of public reaction; and anyway I've
just laid down tools to cook..long hot fab day here).

I'm pleased that at long last, the BBC is devoting consecutive
evenings of primetime to Chelsea-week coverage; what's not great is the
dumb-it-down accommodation for viewers who aren't remotely interested in
plants or gardens. It's completely inconceivable that similar TV
coverage of any other interest or event would make endless references to
the presenter breastfeeding her baby or who designed the presenters'
clothes. To gardeners, it does not make a water-garden "interesting" to
see a presenter paddling in it. And so far as I am concerned, Chelsea
coverage is the very last place to feature the crashingly dull home
garden of breakfast-TV meeja wannabees.

The programme director should be ashamed to waste endless screen time
on computer-generated pastel dissolves loosely based on a plant, AND
endless references to cod digital-viewer "participation", whilst
ignoring the elementary technical step of providing all viewers with a
screen subtitle name every time a real plant is shown on camera.

Whenever a presenter is lisping or smirking his/her way through an
auto-cue telling viewers all about a garden or plant they have seen, I
would prefer the camera shot to be on the garden or plant, not the
presenter. A voiceover would be more than enough from most presenters.

There. I'm off to the kitchen now.

Janet.

Old 27-05-2004, 08:47 PM
tuin man

[...]

I have to agree with you, though my own preference is towards the design
interest, as in garden design and not designed garden person as Bob Hobden
has just wonderfully put it.
But, as with many things, be it the success rights of pigolists (from a
public spaces,or a "Garden" show that's not really for real gardeners....
it's the loud assertion that we should yield to market forces which is only
ever really heard.
So, in a word, though I agree and empathise.... Tuff!
(or Tough! if you want it in real English)

Patrick

Old 27-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

Does anyone know how the guys with the ferns fared?

If you're talking about Fernatix they got a gold.

Thanks for the question and answer..I'd been wondering about them

too,
and I'm very glad they did so well.

Hear hear.

To me their dedicated plant-obsession was the epitome of what

Chelsea
used to be all about, but has mostly lost since the Bunny'n'Diarmuid

set
started cultivating meeja careers.

Repeat hear hear.

Franz

Old 27-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Franz Heymann

[...]

I'd like to add to Janet's list that chatting to celebs, would-be
celebs and celebettes is neither amusing nor educational in a
programme about gardens and gardening.
And please, could they keep the camera more or less horizontal,
approximately at eye level if possible? I am neither a worm nor a
bird. And my eyes are usually nearly horizontal when viewing at an
exhibition.

Franz

Old 27-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Sacha

On 27/5/04 18:13, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote:

[...]

A Gold Medal for you, Janet. I'm sick of the whole boiling lot of those
smirking faces, all of whom appear to be presenting at Chelsea with a view
to book royalties or some such - anything but getting some plants shown and
plant names on the screen.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

repost; URGENTt!!Fern People!!! can someone save my fern?? meee Australia 3 15-10-2005 09:36 AM
How do you guys measure Stuff? Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 03-03-2003 01:17 AM
Missed You Guys! Reka Orchids 2 23-02-2003 08:04 PM
My Bad Fish Luck Continues Guys. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 10 04-02-2003 02:23 PM