Old 30-05-2004, 02:22 PM
John Barry

Default Topping A Eucalyptus

I have a Eucalyptus Gunii which was planted 7 years ago. It has now grown
to a height of about 20 feet. Unfortunately, most of this growth is near to
the top of the tree, leaving the middle bare.

I would like to restore it to about 7 feet in the hope of making it "bush
out".

Any advice about the pros and cons of topping the tree and when is the
optimum time to do so would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

John
Old 30-05-2004, 07:09 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , John Barry
writes
I have a Eucalyptus Gunii which was planted 7 years ago. It has now grown
to a height of about 20 feet. Unfortunately, most of this growth is near to
the top of the tree, leaving the middle bare.

I would like to restore it to about 7 feet in the hope of making it "bush
out".

Any advice about the pros and cons of topping the tree and when is the
optimum time to do so would be very welcome.

The answer is almost certainly he

http://www.eucalyptus.co.uk/index2.htm

--
dave @ stejonda

"To materialist eyes, India is a developing country;
to spiritual eyes, the United States is a developing country."
Ram Dass (an optimist)
Old 31-05-2004, 01:18 PM
David

John,
I had a Eucalyptus which was probably some 25-30ft. 3 years ago, it
was up rooted during a storm, but due to it's location I didn't notice for a
few weeks. I attempted to winch it back upright but gave up and took a chain
saw to it, leaving the root ball still uprooted where it was as it was the
middle of winter. In the spring, my son and I eventually managed to put the
root ball back into place and I put it on the "to do" list. Several months
later I realised that shoots were erupting from the 6" stump! Now I have a
beautiful shrub which is far easier to maintain. Perhaps I was just lucky,
but the proof is growing healthily in my back garden,

good luck,

David

om...

Old 31-05-2004, 01:18 PM
David

That would appear to be borne out with my experience. Interesting thing was
that the root ball was exposed and spent a long time frozen, and yet it
managed to survive! Blooming hardy I'd say!

Subject: Topping A Eucalyptus
From: "David"
Date: 31/05/2004 12:37 GMT Daylight Time

Now I have a
beautiful shrub which is far easier to maintain. Perhaps I was just

lucky,
but the proof is growing healthily in my back garden,

Hi, just a question, aren't Eucalyps evolved to survive being burnt to the
ground every so often in forest fires? I would think that being evolved

take that sort of punishment, they wouldn't have a problem being topped?

ICB(APA)W.
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/

even
write a crime report about them."
Aubrey on remaining at liberty
www.somethingpositive.net

Old 31-05-2004, 08:12 PM
len gardener

i was nearly going to pass this one up, but eucalypts that get burnt
to the ground are most likely not going to be living after the event.
the only trees that survive bush fires are those that are well over
app' 3 meters in height and this can depend a lot on the type of fuel
on the ground below them. young trees under that height are most
likely not to be surviving after a bush fire.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Topping a eucalyptus tree Perry Templeton Gardening 10 30-08-2005 04:41 PM
Topping Silver Birch trees hendo2002 United Kingdom 11 27-08-2003 08:24 PM
Conditioning water for topping-up pond ? Conrad Ponds 4 30-06-2003 03:32 PM
Topping Up Bill Spohn Ponds 1 09-06-2003 04:08 AM
Topping off pond question claude rogers Ponds 27 04-06-2003 07:56 PM