Old 29-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Perry Templeton

Default Topping a eucalyptus tree

I am whiling away the hours..waiting for the storm to pass. We are on the
coast and Hurricane Katrina is heading sort of our way. (we are southwest
of New Orleans)
I had a eucalyptus tree that was growing near a carport post. I'm not sure
of the variety, but it is a fast growing tree. Makes round silver
leaves...something euca. globe? Anyhoo this thing has grown soooo tall in
such a short time that we've had to tie it to one of the porch posts. Twice
wind has taken it and laid it down, but after tying it back up, it does
fine. Nothing fazes it.

As a preemptive measure, we topped it and cut about 5 or 6 feet off the top.
I'm thinking and hoping that cropping it like that won't do it any major
harm and that it will recover and branch out some more. Am I correct?
Perry

Old 29-08-2005, 04:24 AM
Travis

Perry Templeton wrote:
I am whiling away the hours..waiting for the storm to pass. We are
on the coast and Hurricane Katrina is heading sort of our way. (we
are southwest of New Orleans)
I had a eucalyptus tree that was growing near a carport post. I'm
not sure of the variety, but it is a fast growing tree. Makes round
silver leaves...something euca. globe? Anyhoo this thing has grown
soooo tall in such a short time that we've had to tie it to one of
the porch posts. Twice wind has taken it and laid it down, but
after tying it back up, it does fine. Nothing fazes it.

As a preemptive measure, we topped it and cut about 5 or 6 feet off
the top. I'm thinking and hoping that cropping it like that won't
do it any major harm and that it will recover and branch out some
more. Am I correct? Perry

Topping a tree is *never* a good idea.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 29-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Ann

"Travis" expounded:

Topping a tree is *never* a good idea.

Usually that's true. However, a category 5 or strong category 4 is
probably going to make the point moot, unfortunately. Topping this
tree may save it......
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 29-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Treedweller

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 05:05:55 -0400, Ann wrote:

"Travis" expounded:

Topping a tree is *never* a good idea.

Usually that's true. However, a category 5 or strong category 4 is
probably going to make the point moot, unfortunately. Topping this
tree may save it......

.. . . temporarily. http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/topping.asp

You don't want a topped tree looming over your house. If the storm
spares it, finish the removal and replace it, and be kind to the new
tree.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-236
Old 29-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Registered User

Location: sarf west London

I hack mine back to waist level every year. It then puts on ten foot of growth for me to hack back the next year. I've started using the long branches as poles to support my rambling roses.

Old 29-08-2005, 09:50 PM
David Ross

Perry Templeton wrote:

I am whiling away the hours..waiting for the storm to pass. We are on the
coast and Hurricane Katrina is heading sort of our way. (we are southwest
of New Orleans)
I had a eucalyptus tree that was growing near a carport post. I'm not sure
of the variety, but it is a fast growing tree. Makes round silver
leaves...something euca. globe? Anyhoo this thing has grown soooo tall in
such a short time that we've had to tie it to one of the porch posts. Twice
wind has taken it and laid it down, but after tying it back up, it does
fine. Nothing fazes it.

As a preemptive measure, we topped it and cut about 5 or 6 feet off the top.
I'm thinking and hoping that cropping it like that won't do it any major
harm and that it will recover and branch out some more. Am I correct?
Perry

Those who advised against topping apparently have no experience
with eucalyptus. They respond quite well to being cut, not merely
topping but severely cut back.

Cut the tree at about waist height. It will resprout at the cut.
Wait about a year. Select what you consider to be the best shoot
and remove the others.

If you wish, redo the cut at an angle away from the shoot you keep
(similar to how you cut a rose, angling away from the growth bud
you expect to sprout). You do this after removing the unwanted
shoots. This "sculpting" of the cut is optional.

In about 5 years, you might not even notice that the tree was ever
cut. In 10 years, no one can tell.

Repeat every 5-10 years to keep the tree in check. Save the larger
pieces of tree. Stack them where they can dry. They make a very
aromatic firewood.

Four acres of some eucalyptus varieties are sufficient to supply a
family with a permanent source of firewood for cooking, heating,
and hot water. You harvest one acre each year and let it dry until
the next acre is harvested. After four years (after the other
three acres are harvested), the first acre has enough regrowth to
be harvested again.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See URL:http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 29-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Emery Davis

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:50:04 -0700, David Ross said:

] Perry Templeton wrote:
]
] I am whiling away the hours..waiting for the storm to pass. We are on the
] coast and Hurricane Katrina is heading sort of our way. (we are southwest
] of New Orleans)
[]

Hope you've weathered it alright...

] Those who advised against topping apparently have no experience
] with eucalyptus. They respond quite well to being cut, not merely
] topping but severely cut back.
]
[]

Further, apparently many eucalypts have very different juvenile
and adult foliage. When the former is desirable one is apparently
meant to hack the tree way back, "simulating" severe damage
so that it will revert for a few years.

The site www.eucalyptus.co.uk has some interesting stuff about
these trees. (I'm not affiliated, but I do intend to order some of
the rustic species this fall.)

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Old 30-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Treedweller

wrote:

Those who advised against topping apparently have no experience
with eucalyptus. They respond quite well to being cut, not merely
topping but severely cut back.

It's true, I don't see many eucs here. But what you've described
below is a way to have a euc bush and a source of poles/firewood, not
a tree.
Cut the tree at about waist height. It will resprout at the cut.
Wait about a year. Select what you consider to be the best shoot
and remove the others.

If you wish, redo the cut at an angle away from the shoot you keep
(similar to how you cut a rose, angling away from the growth bud
you expect to sprout). You do this after removing the unwanted
shoots. This "sculpting" of the cut is optional.

In about 5 years, you might not even notice that the tree was ever
cut. In 10 years, no one can tell.

Until the internal defects worsen to the point of having the whole
branch above that point break and fall on the house.

Repeat every 5-10 years to keep the tree in check. Save the larger
pieces of tree. Stack them where they can dry. They make a very
aromatic firewood.

Four acres of some eucalyptus varieties are sufficient to supply a
family with a permanent source of firewood for cooking, heating,
and hot water. You harvest one acre each year and let it dry until
the next acre is harvested. After four years (after the other
three acres are harvested), the first acre has enough regrowth to
be harvested again.

All well and good if you have four acres, but, I repeat, you do not
want a topped tree looming over your house, as the OP now has.

Old 30-08-2005, 01:45 AM
Perry Templeton

Well, we survived the storm relatively okay. The eucalyptus, if we had not
cut it, WOULD have broken. The winds were horrific.I can only imagine that
a broken tree is worse off than a cut tree.
Thanks for all the input.
Perry

Old 30-08-2005, 07:11 AM
presley

If this species is the tree I'm thinking about, grown widely in the deep
south for its foliage which can be used in flower arrangements and so forth,
it is a very small tree - almost like a tall shrub, except that it is
usually single-trunked. It often tops out at 20 feet or so - and also the
top portions (newer growth) of the tree are very susceptible to frost-damage
below 20 degrees, and die back to branches that are more hardened off. So I
don't think topping it will either create a dangerous tree in the future or
cause any lasting damage more than the climate itself creates.

Old 30-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Treedweller

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:11:56 -0700, "presley"
wrote:

If this species is the tree I'm thinking about, grown widely in the deep
south for its foliage which can be used in flower arrangements and so forth,
it is a very small tree - almost like a tall shrub, except that it is
usually single-trunked. It often tops out at 20 feet or so - and also the
top portions (newer growth) of the tree are very susceptible to frost-damage
below 20 degrees, and die back to branches that are more hardened off. So I
don't think topping it will either create a dangerous tree in the future or
cause any lasting damage more than the climate itself creates.

Perhaps. The eucs I know about are among the biggest trees out there.

[IMG] code is On

topping pine tree gg Lawns 2 02-04-2006 01:43 PM
Topping A Eucalyptus John Barry United Kingdom 5 31-05-2004 08:12 PM
Conditioning water for topping-up pond ? Conrad Ponds 4 30-06-2003 03:32 PM
Topping Up Bill Spohn Ponds 1 09-06-2003 04:08 AM
Topping off pond question claude rogers Ponds 27 04-06-2003 07:56 PM