Old 30-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Bob H

Default Leaves going brittle. Help

Hi,
we have 2 hydrangeas in pots, on a North facing wall as advised, since
back end of last year. Now I notice that some of the leaves are going brown
and brittle.
Is that due to overwatering, underwatering or too much sun/dry weather?

I have give them and other potted plants a good soaking about 3 days ago.

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Old 30-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Emrys Davies

'Bob',

Having read this site http://www.hydrangeasplus.com/faq.html
I am of the opinion that (1) your pots are either too small for the
roots to develop properly (2) that the drainage is inadequate or (3)
they are sitting in a heat trap. The latter is probably unlikely. I
favour (2) as being the most likely cause.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 30-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Sacha

On 30/5/04 3:05 pm, in article , "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

'Bob',

Having read this site
http://www.hydrangeasplus.com/faq.html
I am of the opinion that (1) your pots are either too small for the
roots to develop properly (2) that the drainage is inadequate or (3)
they are sitting in a heat trap. The latter is probably unlikely. I
favour (2) as being the most likely cause.

While most plants suffer from over-watering, I do wonder if these have been
under-watered, given the sort of weather we've had until recently.
Hydrangeas like a LOT of watering - just think 'hydra'! ;-) But that
doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to drain between waterings. And things
in pots dry out faster that things in the ground.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Bob H

Thanks for the link, altho' I have a problem with getting any subsequent
pages up as I get error message saying 'URL not found'
Anyway, the pots they are in are about 20 inches across, and they have1
single hole in the bottom. They are also raised up off the ground a little.

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Old 30-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Bob H

wrote:

[...]

As I said, I gave those plants and others a good watering on Thursday
evening, altho' they had not had any water for a week previous, so it is
possible underwatering then as you say.

Thanks
--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Old 30-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Sacha

On 30/5/04 4:09 pm, in article
, "Bob H"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip

While most plants suffer from over-watering, I do wonder if these have
been
under-watered, given the sort of weather we've had until recently.
Hydrangeas like a LOT of watering - just think 'hydra'! ;-) But that
doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to drain between waterings. And
things
in pots dry out faster that things in the ground.

As I said, I gave those plants and others a good watering on Thursday
evening, altho' they had not had any water for a week previous, so it is
possible underwatering then as you say.

Thanks

Ah, that does sound rather like it, given pots and the weather combined.
Ours which are some years old and in the ground were flagging very badly
last week and had to be watered copiously.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)