Old 02-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Seagul

Default Digitalis indentification

Around 3-4 years ago I obtained some seed from a seed exchange that was
supposed to be Digitalis lutea, however after looking at various pictures on
the web I am wondering if it might be D. grandiflora. Does anyone have any
definite identification points to look for in comparing the two plants?
The plants I have appear to be reliably perennial - I have one which is 3
years old.
I have posted some pictures on my web site @
http://www.paulgulliver.co.uk/Temp/

For reference the plant pictured is one year old and 45cm high (18 inches).

Thanks

Paul Gulliver

Old 02-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Brian

"Seagul" wrote in message
Around 3-4 years ago I obtained some seed from a seed exchange that was
supposed to be Digitalis lutea, however after looking at various pictures

on
the web I am wondering if it might be D. grandiflora. Does anyone have any
definite identification points to look for in comparing the two plants?
The plants I have appear to be reliably perennial - I have one which is 3
years old.
I have posted some pictures on my web site @
http://www.paulgulliver.co.uk/Temp/

For reference the plant pictured is one year old and 45cm high (18

inches).

Thanks

Paul Gulliver

Almost 100% D.lutea. Flowering time is correct and the leaves are not

toothed or hairy. If the flowers are about 1" then lutea for sure. Those of
grandiflora are twice as long.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Seagul

Almost 100% D.lutea. Flowering time is correct and the leaves are not

toothed or hairy. If the flowers are about 1" then lutea for sure. Those

of
grandiflora are twice as long.
Best Wishes Brian.

Thanks for the reply Brian, the flowers are about 1" long so it appears to
be D. lutea.

Paul