Old 12-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Cat

Default Grass Indentification

Hola!

I'm down in 8a (maybe 8b), and I'm trying to figure out what the grass
that's springing up all over the garden is - it's about 24" tall, and
has lovely tails rather like fox-tailed grass or squirrel grass.

http://www.ki.org/cat/temp/grass.jpg

It's quite pretty in large patches, but annoying in it's spread all over
the beds. (and yes - that's periwinkle in the background, which I've been
trying to yank out with greater and lesser success)

cheers!
avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."
Old 13-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Miss Ann Thrope

You have Marphistes grass. It is spread by the Marphistes mite which
eats the seeds in summer and defecates them out in the fall. (BTW, the
Marphistes mites has a life span of 7 months and defecates only once
during its entire life!) The seeds then sprout the following spring and,
Voila!, there you have it.

Go to your nearest swimming pool supply store and purchase three gallons
of muriatic acid. Add the acid full strength to a hose end sprayer
and saturate the Marphistes grass. You should see results within 24
hours. Should you, for any reason, have some muriatic acid left over,
don't just throw it away. It's great for adding to Italian salad dressing!

Old 13-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Cereoid-XXX

The evil troll Misanthrope strikes again.
Nothing that deranged fartwad said is true.

Your grass cannot be identified without seeing it in flower.
There is nothing in you picture that lends to its identification.

Just pull it out from where you don't want it.

Old 13-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Miss Ann Thrope

Why do liberals always resort to name calling when they don't know the
answers?

Old 13-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Purchgdss

Why do liberals always resort to name calling when they don't know the
answers?

As a Liberal, I take offense to that. The same can be said of conservatives.

Instead of grouping, why not stick to the individual. And for the record, the
wisest people can say "I don't know" whereas most of us make guesses, educated
or not. Ego can be a foolish thing.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine
Old 14-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Cereoid-XXX

What you need is a liberal slap upside your stupid head, you self proclaimed
Misanthrope.

Here's the best answer for what to do with a bug like you you:

Why don't you follow your own advice and drink a jug of muriatic acid. That
would be the best thing you could do for all of us.

Old 14-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Cat

In article ,
animaux wrote:
Is there a flower we can see? That is the only way a plant can be identified
with certainty.

I've got a few more pictures at:

http://www.ki.org/cat/temp/grass

including closeups of the seedhead, and an idea of what the root structure
looks like.