Old 04-06-2004, 11:04 AM
nmc

Default Red spiders?

What are the minute red spiders (that's what we always called them) that
inhabit the surface of sunny concrete and brick in the summer? We seem to
have literally millions of them this year, pick up a stone and you think
your hands are bleeding. Is there a way of destroying them?

Regards

Neil

Old 04-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Spider

nmc wrote in message
What are the minute red spiders (that's what we always called them) that
inhabit the surface of sunny concrete and brick in the summer? We seem to
have literally millions of them this year, pick up a stone and you think
your hands are bleeding. Is there a way of destroying them?

Regards

Neil

Hello Neil,
They sound like Thrombidium mites. Why destroy them? They are harmless
enough. If you wish to discourage them - you do seem to have a large
population - then simply use water, as they prefer hot, dry conditions.
Spider

Old 04-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:58:42 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

nmc wrote in message
What are the minute red spiders (that's what we always called them) that
inhabit the surface of sunny concrete and brick in the summer? We seem to
have literally millions of them this year, pick up a stone and you think
your hands are bleeding. Is there a way of destroying them?

Regards

Neil

Hello Neil,
They sound like Thrombidium mites. Why destroy them? They are harmless
enough. If you wish to discourage them - you do seem to have a large
population - then simply use water, as they prefer hot, dry conditions.
Spider

And they're definitely not the dreaded RSM than is the scourge of many
conservatory and indoor plants, and which were the topic of a recent
thread. You need exceedingly good eyesight to see the latter without a
strong (eg x10) lens, and they're an orangy-brown, not the bright red
of these little chaps. The worst thing about them is the effect they
have when you're painting exterior walls or woodwork white. Gives a
decidedly raspberry ripple effect!

--
Chris

Old 05-06-2004, 01:10 AM
David Hill

"............. What are the minute red spiders (that's what we always called
them) that inhabit the surface of sunny concrete and brick in the summer?
We seem to have literally millions of them this year, pick up a stone and
you think your hands are bleeding. Is there a way of destroying them?
............"

Why destroy them?
These Red Mites are in fact a predator of red spider so are beneficial.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-06-2004, 08:06 AM
nmc

The reason I wish to remove them is that they have taken over a large tiled
patio and a stone covered bank. They are literally everywhere on every
light coloured surface, pool cover, in the water etc etc. Walking around in
bare feet is messy to say the least, and maybe because of them I don't have
the dreaded red spider.

Neil

"David Hill" wrote in message
"............. What are the minute red spiders (that's what we always

called
them) that inhabit the surface of sunny concrete and brick in the summer?
We seem to have literally millions of them this year, pick up a stone and
you think your hands are bleeding. Is there a way of destroying them?
..........."

Old 05-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 01:01:39 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

These Red Mites are in fact a predator of red spider so are beneficial.

Now that I didn't know. Do you know any more about thrombidium mites?
I can't find anything on google except a couple of previous gardening
threads on this same topic. Occasionally I see a really big one. Are
they pregnant females about to lay eggs or give birth? Would it be
worth capturing one to introduce into my conservatory, as I'm slowly
losing my battle with RSM (frequent water spray and selective
application of detergent spray). I've no great wish to buy the
recognised predator of RSM (Phytoseiulus persimilis) until I'm
desperate!

--
Chris

Old 05-06-2004, 11:42 PM
klara

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
These Red Mites are in fact a predator of red spider so are beneficial.

Now that I didn't know. Do you know any more about thrombidium mites? I

Try trombidium mites?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 10-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 20:58:12 +0100, klara
wrote:

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
These Red Mites are in fact a predator of red spider so are beneficial.

Now that I didn't know. Do you know any more about thrombidium mites? I

Try trombidium mites?

Trombidium holocericeum, the red earth mite. Thanks Klara.

--
Chris

Old 10-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 20:58:12 +0100, klara
wrote:

In message , Chris Hogg
writes

Old 10-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 20:58:12 +0100, klara
wrote:

In message , Chris Hogg
writes

Old 10-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 20:58:12 +0100, klara
wrote:

In message , Chris Hogg
writes

Old 10-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 20:58:12 +0100, klara
wrote:

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
These Red Mites are in fact a predator of red spider so are beneficial.

Now that I didn't know. Do you know any more about thrombidium mites? I

Try trombidium mites?

Trombidium holocericeum, the red earth mite. Thanks Klara.

--
Chris

red, red, red rose [email protected] Gardening 4 26-04-2005 03:16 PM
Spiders Tom Kirkpatrick Lawns 2 28-03-2003 04:44 AM
[IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 15 31-01-2003 10:58 PM
[IBC] Killing little white spiders? Dave Stegink Bonsai 3 31-01-2003 05:49 PM
[IBC] **** [IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 31-01-2003 04:43 PM