Old 26-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Brian

Default Propagating conifers

"Ivan" wrote in message
Has anyone ever successfully rooted coniferous branches by layering them?

have three excellent pine specimens. Each of them need to have their

bottom
branches pruned. The trees are about 8 feet tall. If I'm going to prune
them anyway I'm wondering if I should try layering them.
Ivan in the Canadian Prairies.
-------------------------

I have never heard of layering to propagate conifers. Seeds are easy
enough though some dislike transplanting.
Named varieties are propagated by grafting or cuttings. Metasequoia and
Leyland must be propagated by cuttings as there are no seeds available.
Sorry not to be more helpful.
Brian 'flayb' to respond.

Old 26-06-2004, 12:58 AM
bigboard

Ivan wrote:

Has anyone ever successfully rooted coniferous branches by layering them? I
have three excellent pine specimens. Each of them need to have their bottom
branches pruned. The trees are about 8 feet tall. If I'm going to prune
them anyway I'm wondering if I should try layering them.
Ivan in the Canadian Prairies.

It's worth a go. Bonsai growers use this propagation technique, AFAIK.

brown conifers PMAC1727 United Kingdom 2 02-07-2003 12:08 PM
Conifers. Help What can I plant round them? Evelyn Usher United Kingdom 7 11-06-2003 10:08 PM
Young Leylandii and Lawson conifers, prune and manage David C United Kingdom 3 17-04-2003 10:32 PM
[IBC] conifers seed sowing guidelines Claudio Fierro Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 06:44 PM
Say goodbye to San Bernardino Mtn. conifers Joe and Julie alt.forestry 4 17-01-2003 08:53 PM