Old 26-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default 11,000 messages?

I go away for 10 days, and there are 11,000 messages waiting in
uk.rec.gardening. Does this say something about UK gardeners
(and/or Pete the Troll)?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Bob Hobden

The real Nick Maclaren wrote
I go away for 10 days, and there are 11,000 messages waiting in
uk.rec.gardening. Does this say something about UK gardeners
(and/or Pete the Troll)?

Not seen it here Nick. Just the on topic posts as usual, well, except for
Pete's posts under your name. :-)
Perhaps you need a different news server.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 27-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Borstal Boy

On 26 Jun 2004 22:01:24 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

I go away for 10 days,

But you left your socks?

and there are 11,000 messages waiting in
uk.rec.gardening. Does this say something about UK gardeners
(and/or Pete the Troll)?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

cALL IT A GIFT.

+------------------------+
| NO PLONKING ZONE |
+------------------------+
| | |
| | | |
..| |.. .| |..
...\| |/.... \| |/..

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.217% richest people in the world.
There are 5,986,950,449 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 13,049,551
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

---------------------------------------

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.

Need a fake diploma for fun? contact my collegues Malcolm Ogilvie
or Michael Saunby who both bought one and got one free, only $15 each,
have as many as you like www.fakediplomas.com
Old 27-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Borstal Boy

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 23:40:32 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

The real Nick Maclaren wrote
I go away for 10 days, and there are 11,000 messages waiting in
uk.rec.gardening. Does this say something about UK gardeners
(and/or Pete the Troll)?

Not seen it here Nick. Just the on topic posts as usual, well, except for
Pete's posts under your name. :-)
Perhaps you need a different news server.

LOL. Something he is forced to anticipate a little sooner than he
imagined.

+------------------------+
| NO PLONKING ZONE |
+------------------------+
| | |
| | | |
..| |.. .| |..
...\| |/.... \| |/..

Old 27-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I go away for 10 days, and there are 11,000 messages waiting in
uk.rec.gardening. Does this say something about UK gardeners
(and/or Pete the Troll)?

Huh?

I have never had 1100 messages per day in uk.rec.gardening

Franz

Old 27-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Ivanna Humpalot

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 07:56:25 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I go away for 10 days, and there are 11,000 messages waiting in
uk.rec.gardening. Does this say something about UK gardeners
(and/or Pete the Troll)?

Huh?

I have never had 1100 messages per day in uk.rec.gardening

Franz

You're a 5th rate troll, you don't command the attention.

Old 27-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Kay

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I go away for 10 days, and there are 11,000 messages waiting in
uk.rec.gardening. Does this say something about UK gardeners
(and/or Pete the Troll)?

Huh?

I have never had 1100 messages per day in uk.rec.gardening

Not messages, but we have had downloads of junk recently - where have
you been? ;-)

--
Kay

Old 27-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Robert

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
: ...
:
: I go away for 10 days, and there are 11,000 messages waiting in
: uk.rec.gardening. Does this say something about UK gardeners
: (and/or Pete the Troll)?
:
: Huh?
:
: I have never had 1100 messages per day in uk.rec.gardening
:
: Franz
:
Loads of junk mail , I wasn't sure if I was answering you or some of those
pathetic creatures

Old 27-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Ivanna Humpalot

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:13:57 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
: ...
:
: I go away for 10 days, and there are 11,000 messages waiting in
: uk.rec.gardening. Does this say something about UK gardeners
: (and/or Pete the Troll)?
:
: Huh?
:
: I have never had 1100 messages per day in uk.rec.gardening
:
: Franz
:
Loads of junk mail , I wasn't sure if I was answering you or some of those
pathetic creatures

He is a pathetic creature, how can you tell a difference, given that
you're a dodo too?

Old 27-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I go away for 10 days, and there are 11,000 messages waiting in
uk.rec.gardening. Does this say something about UK gardeners
(and/or Pete the Troll)?

Huh?

I have never had 1100 messages per day in uk.rec.gardening

Franz

There have been a couple of puerile flooding attacks on u.r.g recently
using random computer generated junk. If you are lucky someone will have
already have cancelled them before you download the newsgroup. Not all
mail servers honour cancel messages though so YMMV.

Typically they seem able to flood with about 10000 items an hour. There
are other ways of filtering the dross depending on your news client.

If you don't mind a small risk of collateral damage reject everything
with headers containing :

Some of the searchable newsgroup archives were messed up by this.

Doubtless the next attack will come from some other insecure host

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 27-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Scotinexile

I just subscribed to this group last week and thought the users were using
some sort of encryption. I searched high and low on the web for the key, to
no avail. The posts in Google Groups appeared to be normal which confirmed
my suspicion that there was a key to the encrypted messages. I use
Newsrover for my newsreader and thought that might have some kind of help on
deciphering the thousands of strange posts in urg. Maybe you were all
writing in urgalese? I deleted all the gobbledegook and a few 'normal'
posts started appearing. I've since discovered that it was just a
coincidence that I subscribed at the same time as the wrecker was posting
his rubbish.

As a novice gardener, with a postage-stamp sized garden (7square meters),
I'm finding lots of useful information in the group and ideas on what to do
with my blank slate patch.

Cheers

Don

--
http://www.donaldmcdonald.co.uk
Old 27-06-2004, 08:07 PM
the q

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I go away for 10 days, and there are 11,000 messages waiting in
uk.rec.gardening. Does this say something about UK gardeners
(and/or Pete the Troll)?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Your news group server must be picking up messages like mine is, It
normally sits around 1000 total messages (due to the time I keep the history
of the group) But some Idiot used a random number generator last week to
spam the group and now I have nearly 7000 in the file.

The Q

Old 27-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I go away for 10 days, and there are 11,000 messages waiting in
uk.rec.gardening. Does this say something about UK gardeners
(and/or Pete the Troll)?

Huh?

I have never had 1100 messages per day in uk.rec.gardening

Not messages, but we have had downloads of junk recently - where

have
you been? ;-)

I had a total of between 500 and 1000 altogether of the joke messages.

Franz

[IBC] messages Geoff Hobson Bonsai 1 14-10-2003 10:13 PM
OT e-mail messages since yesterday Madgardener Gardening 16 21-09-2003 11:02 PM
'Server problem' gone with emptying and restoring messages Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 0 26-08-2003 05:04 AM
arble garbled newsgroups messages madgardener Gardening 0 05-06-2003 06:56 AM
love messages Jaimme Ponds (alternative) 0 19-03-2003 11:56 PM