Old 28-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Bob Smith

Default Hot radishes

When I was a kid, radishes used to be hot.

I heard that supermarkets sold horrible mild ones because people don't like
them hot, so I planted my own.

Mine aren't hot! Is there a specific variety that are hot? I planted
'Saxa' because it said on the packet 'peppery taste'.

Thanks

Bob

Old 28-06-2004, 08:15 PM
redclay

Bob Smith wrote in message
When I was a kid, radishes used to be hot.

I heard that supermarkets sold horrible mild ones because people don't

like
them hot, so I planted my own.

Mine aren't hot! Is there a specific variety that are hot? I planted
'Saxa' because it said on the packet 'peppery taste'.
Thanks
Bob

Check the pH of your soil, acid soils( 6.0 )grow hotter stuff. Secondly do
not fertilize while they are growing just use a small amount when preparing
the bed. Mine, in the former colony of VA, have finally cooled down but it
took me years to get the dirt right. I plant the old timey kind that are red
without any white around the top.

Old 28-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Les &/or Claire

redclay wrote:
Bob Smith wrote in message
When I was a kid, radishes used to be hot.

I heard that supermarkets sold horrible mild ones because people
don't like them hot, so I planted my own.

Mine aren't hot! Is there a specific variety that are hot? I
planted 'Saxa' because it said on the packet 'peppery taste'.
Thanks
Bob

French Breakfast used to be my favourite...

les

--
http://www.stuffmongers.com

"Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission
natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep
within ourselves and decide what we wish to become." Edward O. Wilson
Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG

Old 30-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Dwayne

Try to find an oriental radish called dikon. They are white and look like
icicle radishes, except you plant them in June and harvest in 45 days, and
they are quite large (sometimes more than a kilo each).

They are a little hotter than the normal radish, but not much, and you can
find a lot of interesting recipes on the internet. I enjoy just cutting
them into chunks and eating then raw.

Dwayne

Old 30-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Mike Lyle

"redclay" wrote in message ...
Bob Smith wrote in message
When I was a kid, radishes used to be hot.

I heard that supermarkets sold horrible mild ones because people don't

like
them hot, so I planted my own.

Mine aren't hot! Is there a specific variety that are hot? I planted
'Saxa' because it said on the packet 'peppery taste'.
Thanks
Bob

Check the pH of your soil, acid soils( 6.0 )grow hotter stuff. Secondly do
not fertilize while they are growing just use a small amount when preparing
the bed. Mine, in the former colony of VA, have finally cooled down but it
took me years to get the dirt right. I plant the old timey kind that are red
without any white around the top.

Agreed: though I like chillies, I prefer my radishes cool, and have
found that if you grow them fast -- more a matter of water than of
nutrition, as Red implies -- they're cooler than if you grow them
slow. I'm sure this is as true in western Britain as it is in the
grand old Commonwealth of Virginia. The catch would be that if you let
them grow for too long, they'll get tough and stringy. Maybe sun's a
factor, too: the more light, the hotter the radish, just like
chillies.

I suspect, too, that they get hotter if allowed to protrude above soil
level: a longer type would do this more happily than a round one.
'Ware slugs!

As somebody said downthread, it's worth trying some of the oriental
varieties -- some of which will also give a supply in the winter, and
let you make brain-blasting Korean-style pickles (recipes in Madhur
Jaffrey's terrific _Eastern Vegetarian Cooking_ or, no doubt, on the
Internet).

Mike.

Old 30-06-2004, 11:56 PM
Amos E Wolfe

"Bob Smith" wrote in message
When I was a kid, radishes used to be hot.

I heard that supermarkets sold horrible mild ones because people don't

like
them hot, so I planted my own.

I am currently growing some radishes - I haven't tried one yest so I don't
know if they're hot or not.

However, I recently bought some radishes from Tesco and found them to be
delicious, hot and peppery.

-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Hot Radishes Myrl Jeffcoat Gardening 3 09-08-2006 02:27 PM