Old 30-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Joanne

Default When to Start Pruning

3 years ago I planted a wiegela and a ribes. They are still fairly small;
the wiegela is approx 3 feet high, and the ribes approx 4 feet. Do I prune
them now, or should I wait until they're more mature in a year or two?

Thanks

Old 30-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Joanne
writes
3 years ago I planted a wiegela and a ribes. They are still fairly small;
the wiegela is approx 3 feet high, and the ribes approx 4 feet. Do I prune
them now, or should I wait until they're more mature in a year or two?

With both these you prune them after they have flowered.
Cut back the stems that have flowered to vigorous young growths
developing lower down on the main stems and remove any weak growth.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 30-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Joanne

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Joanne
writes
3 years ago I planted a wiegela and a ribes. They are still fairly

small;
the wiegela is approx 3 feet high, and the ribes approx 4 feet. Do I

prune
them now, or should I wait until they're more mature in a year or two?

With both these you prune them after they have flowered.
Cut back the stems that have flowered to vigorous young growths
developing lower down on the main stems and remove any weak growth.

Thanks, Jane. The shrubs are still fairly small, so should I let them grow
on for a year or so before I begin their annual pruning? Or do I prune them
now even though they're still fairly young and small?

Thanks.