Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Simon

Default Toadstools

Hi All

Can anybody recommend any treatment to stop Toadstools growing in my lawn.
The lawn is pretty newly laid and dies have good drainage.

Regards
Simon

Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Brian

"Simon" wrote in message
Hi All

Can anybody recommend any treatment to stop Toadstools growing in my lawn.
The lawn is pretty newly laid and dies have good drainage.

Regards
Simon

___________
Ignore them and they will soon go away. Their food will have
been consumed.
There is no treatment available or necessary~~Just a matter of time. Their
life is quite ephemeral and the mower will make short work of them!
Regards Brian.

"All fungi can be eaten, though some will kill you" L. Clapham.

Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 AM
nambucca

"Simon" wrote in message
Hi All

Can anybody recommend any treatment to stop Toadstools growing in my lawn.
The lawn is pretty newly laid and dies have good drainage.

Regards
Simon

You have the makings of a fairy ring .......they are devouring my lawn
Remove every single toadstool and put in dustbin not compost
You may need in the end to take drastic measures like digging up the entire
top 14 inches of soil and lawn and removing it

some idiot has left tree roots/stupms to rot underground and its that which
is feeding the fungi

Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Kay

In article , nambucca
writes

You have the makings of a fairy ring .......they are devouring my lawn
Remove every single toadstool and put in dustbin not compost
You may need in the end to take drastic measures like digging up the entire
top 14 inches of soil and lawn and removing it

some idiot has left tree roots/stupms to rot underground and its that which
is feeding the fungi

The fungi which make fairy rings are not the same ones that feed on
rotting wood!

--
Kay

Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , nambucca
writes

You have the makings of a fairy ring .......they are devouring my lawn
Remove every single toadstool and put in dustbin not compost
You may need in the end to take drastic measures like digging up the entire
top 14 inches of soil and lawn and removing it

Eh? Why? That is complete insanity. "Brian" is quite right.

some idiot has left tree roots/stupms to rot underground and its that which
is feeding the fungi

The fungi which make fairy rings are not the same ones that feed on
rotting wood!

Yes, and neither are (normally) harmful. A very few of the "fairy
ring" fungi will harm lawns, but the vast majority should be treated
as "Brian" says.

The vast majority of fungi are harmless in a garden, and some are
beneficial. Also, most of the harmful fungi do not produce large
fruiting bodies (toadstools).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-07-2004, 08:12 AM
nambucca

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , nambucca
writes

[...]

If Fairy rings arent harmful why on earth have I got several large
semicircular very bald patches a good 8 inches wide the outer edges have
much darker grass and occasionally small headed toadstools appear ranging in
size from 1/8th of inch to 3/4 inch

The info and pictures on the RHS website show bald patches just like mine

If I dig the soil out theres a fine white mycelial type growth

Old 02-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Franz Heymann

"Simon" wrote in message
Hi All

Can anybody recommend any treatment to stop Toadstools growing in my

lawn.
The lawn is pretty newly laid and dies have good drainage.

Think positively: They are quietly making compost of something below
ground level.

Franz

Old 04-07-2004, 03:02 AM
ChrisC

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:49:08 +0100, "Simon"
wrote:

Hi All

Can anybody recommend any treatment to stop Toadstools growing in my lawn.
The lawn is pretty newly laid and dies have good drainage.

Regards
Simon

Lets hope there Psilocybe semilanceata. ;-) Nah it's to early.
--
"You are a seeker.
Delight in the mastery

- Buddha in the Dhammapada -

ChrisC
Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Simon

I dont want compost!!

I just want a lawn that the kids can play on, without worrying they will
decide to eat them.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Kay

In article , Simon simon.wiltshire@
highstream.com writes
I dont want compost!!

I just want a lawn that the kids can play on, without worrying they will
decide to eat them.

There's plenty of things in the garden that will harm them if they eat
them! Until you can be sure they won't eat anything without asking you
first, you're going to have to be watching them pretty closely. Mowing
the lawn will get rid of that crop of mushrooms, and you can keep an eye
out for when the next batch comes up.

By the way, the convention in this group is to bottom (or in line) post.
Top posting within this convention breaks the order of the thread and
makes answers more difficult to read.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Franz Heymann

"Simon" wrote in message
Hi All

Can anybody recommend any treatment to stop Toadstools growing

in my
lawn.
The lawn is pretty newly laid and dies have good drainage.

Think positively: They are quietly making compost of something

below
ground level.

I dont want compost!!

Your grass will thrive on it.

I just want a lawn that the kids can play on, without worrying they

will
decide to eat them.

Many of the plants in most gardens are either plain inedible or
seriously poisonous. So, fungi or not, you simply have to teach your
children not to put anything from the garden into their mouths without
permission from you.

Franz

Old 07-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Brian

"Simon" wrote in message
I dont want compost!!

I just want a lawn that the kids can play on, without worrying they will
decide to eat them.

_____________________
I thought you wanted to get rid of the fungi? You could protect them
from the children with some chicken wire!
Brian

Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:
"Simon" wrote in message

I just want a lawn that the kids can play on, without worrying they

will
decide to eat them.

Many of the plants in most gardens are either plain inedible or
seriously poisonous. So, fungi or not, you simply have to teach your
children not to put anything from the garden into their mouths without
permission from you.

The purpose of a parent is to educate his or her children.

I used chillis and nettles as teaching aids. They learnt VERY early
that asking me before eating anything was a wise decision. From
the age of two, I never had a problem - they would raid the carrots,
soft fruit etc. and avoid the laburnum, nightshade etc.

Worms were fine, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

toadstools farmer brown Lawns 2 27-07-2003 09:12 PM
Toadstools in new lawn Aileen Howard United Kingdom 0 04-07-2003 07:56 AM
Toadstools/Mushrooms Shepherd Gardening 1 04-06-2003 05:32 PM
White mushrooms/toadstools in lawn Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 18 07-12-2002 05:55 PM
Getting road of Mushrooms/Toadstools Carl United Kingdom 27 20-11-2002 07:10 PM