Old 06-07-2004, 12:03 AM
shazzbat

Default Labelling

"jane" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 06:45:39 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

snip other quotes
~Which closes the circle: That is essentially why I am looking for an
~actual permament method.
~{:-)
~
~To change the topic slightly, which urglers keep sketches of what is
~where in the garden as a backup for the labels?
~Who keeps them on a computer?

Um. Me
I photograph everything with the digicam. The allotment pics usually
make it to my blog, and I've got plans for each plot on the PC so I
can keep track of the rotations.

I do that too. Different colours for the paths etc, and use the cells of an
exel doc to keep track of the rows etc.

But as to the labelling question, I bought a plant at an open garden and the
label was a white plastic one which had been painted matt black, and the
details scratched into the paint with a nail, giving white lettering on a
black background. It looks really classy and professional.

Steve

Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Douglas

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.206...
Janet Baraclough.. wrote in
:

I use a thin but indestructible copper label (sold by Lakeland
Plastics) indented by a biro. Anything else like seeds or cuttings gets
a plastic label and pencil.

I use copper labels for everything. If you turn the label over and give
them a good hard rub with the rounded end of the biro, you can re-use it
almost indefinitely.

Also the copper annoys the slugs ;-)

Some copper labels seem to use 'harder' copper than others: I like the
squishier ones because they are easier to blank.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

******
What's all the panic?. I use ordinary white thickish plastic labels and
write on them with a Staedtler Permanent Lumocolour F or M ( fine or
medium).felt-tipped pen.
Five years of tests with different labels nailed to a sunny fence for my
friend the local Stationery shopkeeper are still there and as good as when
they were written. Some of my young pears and plum trees have the same
plastic labels with the date 1988 printed on them and they are still well
readable though stained quite a bit. They are tied on with thin plastic
covered wire. I use B&Q thin covered wire , caged and wrapped inside a
bobbin mounted on a stiff card. The tail end comes out of a hole in the
front grille and is cut to length by a tin knife on the bottom of the card..
I sling it from my neck to chest height.
I have about 45 clematis up my fences and walls, many roses, including
climbers, passion flowers, one big wandering Blackberry fifteen feet either
side of the stem.And that's just the north side adjoining the Neighbour
thugs from Hell in the adjoining semi. Dotted along the fence also are
ten-year old plums and a
Greengage. Folks! - you just gotta mosey down that there garden centre and
order one of these greengages called Dennistoun's Superb and are grafted on
to Pixy rootstock. Mind you, - there's a wait of a year or six before they
start fruiting.
In the middle of the garden is my ham radio mast. . In the small plot at
its foot are planted Wisteria Synopsis, and montana type clematis, - plus
about five other clemati: several tea-roses and ramblers. Near that is a
high pyracantha, pruned and sheared through the years to assume a flat
diamond shape and stands transverse across the garden, half -way along.
Alongside that is a high double boled (not 'poled') flowering cherry tree.
All are clothed with clematis.
Everything in my garden including the front are labelled. I get angry with
myself when I can't immediately state what the plant's name is. I used to
keep a book but the constant changes made a nonsense of it.
Doug.
******

Old 08-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Douglas

"Douglas" wrote in message

[...]

*"Wisteria Synopsis?" - how silly!, - but it wasn't me as done it guv! - it
wuz this 'yer Spell-checker,
'onest!. Wisteria Synensis
Doug.
******

Old 15-07-2004, 01:18 PM

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 06:45:39 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Janet

Baraclough.
. writes

LOL. For anything I hope will be a permanent fixture, like

azaleas or
clematis, I use a thin but indestructible copper label (sold by

Lakeland
Plastics) indented by a biro. Anything else like seeds or cuttings

gets
a plastic label and pencil. Pencil lasts far longer than

"indelible"
marker pens ime.

However, I'm so mean and idle I use each plastic label four times
(both sides, both ends) before cleaning them off with a brillo pad

and
starting again.

I find spit and a firm rub with a finger works perfectly well.

Which closes the circle: That is essentially why I am looking for an
actual permament method.
{:-)

To change the topic slightly, which urglers keep sketches of what is
where in the garden as a backup for the labels?
Who keeps them on a computer?

We've taken to systematically photographing the whole garden several
times a year. We keep the images on the computer.
--
Martin

Old 15-07-2004, 04:04 PM
jane

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:59:33 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

~On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 08:19:16 +0000 (UTC),
~
wrote:
~
~~To change the topic slightly, which urglers keep sketches of what is
~~where in the garden as a backup for the labels?
~~Who keeps them on a computer?
~
~Um. Me
~I photograph everything with the digicam. The allotment pics usually
~make it to my blog, and I've got plans for each plot on the PC so I
~can keep track of the rotations.
~
~URL?

http://www.moonbells.com/

I'm a couple of weeks behind... not been up much recently for one
reason or another, but thankfully Him Upstairs has been doing the
watering for me

--
jane

Mark Twain