Old 03-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Labelling

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

I find that if the plant dies then the label stays legible for years, but if
the plant lives then the label fades inside a year, making me wonder if
there is something that the plants give off that helps to fade the ink.

Personally I use "bog standard" HB pencils on plastic labels.

LOL. For anything I hope will be a permanent fixture, like azaleas or
clematis, I use a thin but indestructible copper label (sold by Lakeland
Plastics) indented by a biro. Anything else like seeds or cuttings gets
a plastic label and pencil. Pencil lasts far longer than "indelible"
marker pens ime.

However, I'm so mean and idle I use each plastic label four times
(both sides, both ends) before cleaning them off with a brillo pad and
starting again. Unfortunately, the plastic usually breaks during their
second lifespan :-(

Janet

Old 03-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Rod" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:53:24 GMT, Kate Morgan
wrote:

I am planning on making some wooden ones and burning the names on.

I like it ;-) I think Pyrography pens are not all that expensive

now.
If your artistic side takes over you can embellish them to your

hearts
content.

How does a pyrography pen work?
What do you call expensive in this context?
Where does one get one?

Franz

Old 03-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"John" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:44:47 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

I have taken the bird by the horns and have made a number of

8"
long prospective labels from 1 cm half-round hardwood moulding.

So
far I have painted the working surface white with a waterbased

primer.

Now comes the problem of putting the name on the label. In

days
of yore, one used to buy a bottle of Hartleys black ink and wrote

the
name, using an old-fashioned steam pen. The labels used to last

for
many seasons. I don't see the ink for sale any more, and the

rubbish
which garden centres sell as waterproof pens produce neat writing
which does not survive the first winter. The stuff sold as Indian

ink
for use in draughtsmen's pens also wash off as soon as you spit on

it.

So here is my question: What do I do to write on my

well-designed
labels which will last for at least three seasons?

What about sing one of those pyrography pens which people use to

burn
designs on to wood? They're not outrageously expensive nowadays.

The Pyrographt Pen seems to be a good idea. I looked them up on
the internet and found - what I consider to be a cheap source - at

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=020301

To go a step further though; I wonder if the pen will
work on plastic?

Thanks for the URL. I have just ordered one, and will post my
experience with it soon after it has arrived.

For a long time I've used sliced up washing-up liquid bottles for
labels - to the appropriate shape - and written on them in
'permanent' marker.

To combine the two methods may be worth trying, but experience
of this news group has shown me that most things have already been
tried by some other 'Urg.' So I'd appreciate your input.

Franz

Old 03-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Kay

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

.. .
wrote:

I am planning on making some wooden ones and burning the names on.

I like it ;-) I think Pyrography pens are not all that expensive

now.
If your artistic side takes over you can embellish them to your

hearts
content.

How does a pyrography pen work?

I think it's basically a mini soldering iron - presumably with better
tip and good heat control.

What do you call expensive in this context?
Where does one get one?

A good craft shop. Try John Body (not sure of the spelling but the sound
is the same) at Boroughbridge.

--
Kay

Old 03-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Kay

In article , Rod rodcraddoc
writes
On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 10:26:34 GMT, John
wrote:

The Pyrographt Pen seems to be a good idea. I looked them up on
the internet and found - what I consider to be a cheap source - at

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=020301

Since you mention it, Axminster are excellent suppliers for a very
wide range of tools and machines. Been using them for years for my
woodworking tools. Good stuff, good service and some of the best
prices in the business.

And supplement with Screwfix for all the bits and pieces
--
Kay

Old 03-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes

LOL. For anything I hope will be a permanent fixture, like azaleas or
clematis, I use a thin but indestructible copper label (sold by Lakeland
Plastics) indented by a biro. Anything else like seeds or cuttings gets
a plastic label and pencil. Pencil lasts far longer than "indelible"
marker pens ime.

However, I'm so mean and idle I use each plastic label four times
(both sides, both ends) before cleaning them off with a brillo pad and
starting again.

I find spit and a firm rub with a finger works perfectly well.

--
Kay

Old 04-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

.. .
wrote:

I am planning on making some wooden ones and burning the names

on.

I like it ;-) I think Pyrography pens are not all that expensive

now.
If your artistic side takes over you can embellish them to your

hearts
content.

How does a pyrography pen work?

I think it's basically a mini soldering iron - presumably with

better
tip and good heat control.

That's right.
The URL which John gave had a good illustration.
In fact, in my working days I used to have a soldering iron which was
the twin of the one in the picture.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Janet

Baraclough.
. writes

LOL. For anything I hope will be a permanent fixture, like

azaleas or
clematis, I use a thin but indestructible copper label (sold by

Lakeland
Plastics) indented by a biro. Anything else like seeds or cuttings

gets
a plastic label and pencil. Pencil lasts far longer than

"indelible"
marker pens ime.

However, I'm so mean and idle I use each plastic label four times
(both sides, both ends) before cleaning them off with a brillo pad

and
starting again.

I find spit and a firm rub with a finger works perfectly well.

Which closes the circle: That is essentially why I am looking for an
actual permament method.
{:-)

To change the topic slightly, which urglers keep sketches of what is
where in the garden as a backup for the labels?
Who keeps them on a computer?

Franz

Old 04-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Kay

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

To change the topic slightly, which urglers keep sketches of what is
where in the garden as a backup for the labels?

I did start doing this, but it's way too much effort - when you've come
in with soil covered hands after a planting session, the last thing you
want to do is update your planting maps.

I rely on it all being in my brain ... which means every so often I have
to get the books out and re-identify ;-)

Who keeps them on a computer?

I put a plantlist on my web site, but I think it's about 4 years out of
date now ;-)
--
Kay

Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

To change the topic slightly, which urglers keep sketches of what is
where in the garden as a backup for the labels?

Ermm...I keep meaning to. I really do. Does that count?

I used to keep a list of every plant I'd bought, but it was too
incriminating so I gave up.

Janet.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

To change the topic slightly, which urglers keep sketches of what is
where in the garden as a backup for the labels?

Ermm...I keep meaning to. I really do. Does that count?

I used to keep a list of every plant I'd bought, but it was too
incriminating so I gave up.

Do you remember David Poole's comment 'I never give up on a plant until
I have really and truly killed it three times'?
--
Kay

Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

To change the topic slightly, which urglers keep sketches of what

is
where in the garden as a backup for the labels?

Ermm...I keep meaning to. I really do.

Me too.

Does that count?

It's the intention that counts..............

Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 AM
jane

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 06:45:39 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

snip other quotes
~Which closes the circle: That is essentially why I am looking for an
~actual permament method.
~{:-)
~
~To change the topic slightly, which urglers keep sketches of what is
~where in the garden as a backup for the labels?
~Who keeps them on a computer?

Um. Me
I photograph everything with the digicam. The allotment pics usually
make it to my blog, and I've got plans for each plot on the PC so I
can keep track of the rotations.

They can also be printed out easily, stuck in a document wallet and
taken up there so I can see what needs to get planted where.

Garden's slightly different as it's such a mess this year and every
time I plant something the undergardener digs it up again and then
wonders why I'm shouting at her. But the photos are there,
nonetheless.

Least she can't dig the front. You need a pickaxe under the sycamores
to dig anything and even small cats don't tend to come with one of
those. :-)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 05-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Victoria Clare

Janet Baraclough.. wrote in
:

I use a thin but indestructible copper label (sold by Lakeland
Plastics) indented by a biro. Anything else like seeds or cuttings gets
a plastic label and pencil.

I use copper labels for everything. If you turn the label over and give
them a good hard rub with the rounded end of the biro, you can re-use it
almost indefinitely.

Also the copper annoys the slugs ;-)

Some copper labels seem to use 'harder' copper than others: I like the
squishier ones because they are easier to blank.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall