Old 03-07-2004, 09:06 AM
troubleinstore

Default Weeds ?

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this group and could do with some good advice please on a couple
of subjects.

Firstly, my lawn is absolutlely full of weeds. How can I get rid of them
all. I have a dog so if chemicals are to be used they must be doggy
friendly.

Secondly, I wish to put some decking down in front of the lounge window. Can
anyone suggest a good website with step by step instructions on what to do
and what also advises what size wood to use.

Many thanks in advance.
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk

---

Old 03-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Robert E A Harvey

"troubleinstore" wrote
Firstly, my lawn is absolutlely full of weeds. How can I get rid of them
all. I have a dog so if chemicals are to be used they must be doggy
friendly.

I'm on record as liking weeds in lawns.
what you want isn't easy. You have several choices:
* mow regularly and the grass will slowly take over from the weeds
* use a suitable tool and dig out weed plants, then seed in thier
place
* Use a broadleaf weedkiller.
* Use a 'spot' weedkiller.

I don't do chemicals. But various commercial treatments can be
purchased, and they all have detailed instructions.

Asd for dogs, you will certianly have to keep the dog away during
application, and perhaps for 24 hours more. Again, read the
instructions.

Secondly, I wish to put some decking down in front of the lounge window. Can
anyone suggest a good website with step by step instructions on what to do
and what also advises what size wood to use.

Hmm..
"don't" would seem to be a popular response on here. Why don't you
want paving?
We have a very good friend who knows all about that -
http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm .

I've seen http://www.deckingdirect.co.uk/deckingdirect.pdf and
http://magnettrade.mccanni.co.uk/cat...n_decking.pdf,
but why not ask at the place where you will buy it. They have very
good leaflets available.

Old 06-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Douglas

"Robert E A Harvey" wrote in message
m...
"troubleinstore" wrote
Firstly, my lawn is absolutlely full of weeds. How can I get rid of them
all. I have a dog so if chemicals are to be used they must be doggy
friendly.

I'm on record as liking weeds in lawns.
what you want isn't easy. You have several choices:
* mow regularly and the grass will slowly take over from the weeds
* use a suitable tool and dig out weed plants, then seed in thier
place

******
Suitable tool for the small or bigger weeds, - Ho, Yes!. I have the
answer, - especially for our old friends the dandelions! as well as the
smaller weeds.
Here's what you do. You first restrict the wife's gin money for one day
only, (that's usually sufficient in my particular domiciliary edifice), You
take it along to your Ironmonger, (the Farmer's Suppliers in the near
village in my case,). Ask for a (The following is the blurbs printed down
the tool shaft.)

"JARDIN Wolf (picture of a wolf's head)Garden.
The 1-2-3 WEEDER.
NO BENDING.
Push vertically into soil close to the weed.
Twist half a turn to the right. (I find it's best to give it a full turn.)
Lift the extractor vertically out of the soil."

The cost is about twelve quid. there's a smaller hand version at about six
quid.
Ignore it. Who wants to bend down, for goodness sake, if it can be avoided.
Believe me! - the larger but more expensive one is the best option by far.

I have used this tool with much success and wouldn't be without it.
Notes. :-
Excellent for dandelions, but in a large root,small pieces can
inadvertently, at the tip end of the root, sometimes be left in. It doesn't
bother me but I find that for every dandelion no matter what its size, it's
best to drive in to the full lenghth of the curved blade for everything
except the smaller weeds.
You finish up with a pile of neat holes about one and a half inches in
diameter all over the lawn.
But who the heck's worried?. Not me!. I mix sieved soil with new grass
seeds in a bucket.
I have another bigger bucket with only sieved soil in it so I use this one
first and with a trowel go round and fill every hole and stamp on each
lightly. Then I simply go round each hole again with the other bucket and
sprinkle the contents judiciously over each filled hole and also lightly
stamp again on each one.
Then water with a fine spray.
You can take out daisy patches and lots of other small weeds but of course
you don't need to drive the blade in to its full extent.
Task completed, retire unobserved to the secret cache and have a quick nip,
making sure there's no crafty pencil line on the label. If there is, use
water to preserve the status quo.
, - afterwards of course.
Doug.
******

http://magnettrade.mccanni.co.uk/cat...rden_decking.p
df,
but why not ask at the place where you will buy it. They have very
good leaflets available.

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? Jay Chan Gardening 56 18-07-2004 06:02 AM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? possibly OT Salty Thumb Gardening 0 22-06-2004 11:04 PM
weeds? Pam Gardening 16 25-03-2003 03:20 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM