Old 23-07-2004, 03:08 PM
jane

Default Rooting hormones

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:48:31 +0200, in uk.rec.gardening you wrote:

~On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:19:40 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:
~
~On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:00:22 +0200, wrote:
~
~~On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:51:12 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:
~~
~~On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:17:16 +0200,
wrote:
~~
~snip
~~
~~dpreview.com is fantastic. I found it last year when looking to update
~~my ancient Canon S10 and found out loads of things I hadn't realised
~~about that model let alone the new offerings!
~~
~~It also told me of up and coming models which I might want to wait
~~for: I duly waited for two of them, tested them in shops (with my own
~~CF card so I could take the photos home and look properly!) and found
~~them both wanting. So I've ended up rather seriously poorer with a
~~model I hadn't even thought about originally. But then again I had a
~~really nice camera for a once in a lifetime trip to Japan, in a cheap
~~place to buy accessories
~~
~~So which camera did you buy for taking gardening photos?
~
~Canon 300D My dad said I have more money than sense, until I
~invited him to tell me how much his golf club subs were! He hasn't
~mentioned it since...
~
~All the Cokin filters from my ancient Olympus SLR fit it, including
~the close-up, so it got its first workout taking pics of the African
~violets on my desk! Followed by a trip round the garden snapping all
~sorts. I'd forgotten how nice it is to be able to play with the depth
~of field rather than hit a macro button and hope for the best...
~
~I shot rather too many photos at Trebah gardens in June. The gunneras
~were just perfect (the path goes under them!) and the candelabra
~primulas were in full bloom. And I am well pleased with the detail on
~the fiddleheads (unfurling fern fronds). Indigenous macro's not too
~bad either.
~
~It sounds good, now if only there was a download somewhere to enable
~the features they deliberately disabled :-)
~
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d

Quite! ;-) I haven't done it yet since it invalidates the warranty,
but I know someone who has, and he says it works very well indeed
(though I did download the current mod in case anything mysterious
ever happens to the website). Once I'm used to the current
functionality and I'm near to the warranty expiring then I'll bite.

Have still not memorised all the bells and whistles it *does* have!
I think I shall have to start putting some of the flower photos onto
the web as it really does a nice job and so far my only niggle is the
silly semi-hard case design.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 23-07-2004, 03:08 PM

~
wrote:
~
~~On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:51:12 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:
~~
~~On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:17:16 +0200,
wrote:
~~
~snip
~~
[...]

I didn't know it was possible - I was only joking.
If it is possible then 300D is a real bargain.
Please report back when you have done it and if your camera still
works I'll rush out and buy one too.
Will it take Olympus OM1/10 lenses too?

Have still not memorised all the bells and whistles it *does* have!
I think I shall have to start putting some of the flower photos onto
the web as it really does a nice job and so far my only niggle is the
silly semi-hard case design.

I was wondering when you were going to let us see the results :-)
--
Martin
Old 23-07-2004, 04:03 PM
jane

(jane) wrote:
~
~On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:48:31 +0200, in uk.rec.gardening you wrote:
~
~~On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:19:40 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:
~~
~~On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:00:22 +0200,
wrote:
~~
~~~On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:51:12 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:
~~~
~~~On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:17:16 +0200,
wrote:
~~~
~~snip
~~~
~~~dpreview.com is fantastic. I found it last year when looking to update
~~~my ancient Canon S10 and found out loads of things I hadn't realised
~~~about that model let alone the new offerings!
~~~
~~~It also told me of up and coming models which I might want to wait
~~~for: I duly waited for two of them, tested them in shops (with my own
~~~CF card so I could take the photos home and look properly!) and found
~~~them both wanting. So I've ended up rather seriously poorer with a
~~~model I hadn't even thought about originally. But then again I had a
~~~really nice camera for a once in a lifetime trip to Japan, in a cheap
~~~place to buy accessories
~~~
~~~So which camera did you buy for taking gardening photos?

large snip

Martin, could you email me please so we can take this off urg?

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 24-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Registered User

Location: Lincoln, UK

Quote:
[i]Forget them all together; don't waste your money.
They don't make a blind bit of difference.
If you take cuttings at the right time in the right place there is
absolutely no need to use root hormone. In fact using the stuff can have
adverse effects. [/b]
The thing to realise is that plants do not have 'hormones' in the sense that animals do. They have a series of compounds that regulate plant activity based on the relative proportions of the compounds rather than the absolute quanity of one of them. If the cutting naturally has a low level of auxin the rooting compound will help it to root. If it already has a high level of auxin, ading more will push the proportions away from that required for rooting and will slow down/stop the rooting process.

I've always used them for roses and found them a great help. Pelargoniums root so fast it is a waste.