Old 08-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Steve Harris

Default Buddleja Repair?

My Buddleja Lochinch got blown skew-wiff by last night's wind. It was a
neat 7' high inverted cone. Now it leans at 30 degrees :-(

When I rock it, the ground moves.

Perhaps I should put heavy rocks on the ground around the stem to
stabilise?

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 08-07-2004, 09:03 PM
kiticat

Steve Harris wrote:

My Buddleja Lochinch got blown skew-wiff by last night's wind. It was a
neat 7' high inverted cone. Now it leans at 30 degrees :-(

When I rock it, the ground moves.

Perhaps I should put heavy rocks on the ground around the stem to
stabilise?

Mine fell over yesterday so Im glad youve asked the question.
I stood mine up again, stamped round the ground and propped it up with
rocks. One branch tore off so a friend said to stick it in the ground as
it might root - that would be nice.
Sarah H

Old 08-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , kiticat wrote:

Mine fell over yesterday so Im glad youve asked the question.
I stood mine up again, stamped round the ground and propped it up with
rocks. One branch tore off so a friend said to stick it in the ground as
it might root - that would be nice.

They root readily at this time of year. I would recommend cutting
the broken branch into proper cuttings, putting them in a pot of
sharp sand and keeping them out of hot sun and damp.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:02 AM
kiticat

Nick Maclaren wrote:

One branch tore off so a friend said to stick it in the ground as
it might root

They root readily at this time of year. I would recommend cutting
the broken branch into proper cuttings, putting them in a pot of
sharp sand and keeping them out of hot sun and damp.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick! I'll go and pull it up and do it properly!
Sarah

Old 09-07-2004, 09:02 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article , kiticat wrote:

Mine fell over yesterday so Im glad youve asked the question.
I stood mine up again, stamped round the ground and propped it up with
rocks. One branch tore off so a friend said to stick it in the ground as
it might root - that would be nice.

They root readily at this time of year.

Is it best to leave taking unwindborne cuttings until after a Buddleia
has finished flowering (as I was intending to do) or to start now?

--
dave @ stejonda
Bring culture back to NTL.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:38:25 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article , kiticat wrote:

Mine fell over yesterday so Im glad youve asked the question.
I stood mine up again, stamped round the ground and propped it up with
rocks. One branch tore off so a friend said to stick it in the ground as
it might root - that would be nice.

They root readily at this time of year.

Is it best to leave taking unwindborne cuttings until after a Buddleia
has finished flowering (as I was intending to do) or to start now?

Anytime is fine. Slice stem just below a leaf node and remove leaves,
trim it off above the next and leave leaves on - bung it in a pot.
The success rate is something like 90%, I've found.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 09-07-2004, 02:03 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:38:25 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:
In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article , kiticat wrote:

Mine fell over yesterday so Im glad youve asked the question.
I stood mine up again, stamped round the ground and propped it up with
rocks. One branch tore off so a friend said to stick it in the ground as
it might root - that would be nice.

They root readily at this time of year.

Is it best to leave taking unwindborne cuttings until after a Buddleia
has finished flowering (as I was intending to do) or to start now?

Anytime is fine. Slice stem just below a leaf node and remove leaves,
trim it off above the next and leave leaves on - bung it in a pot.
The success rate is something like 90%, I've found.

thanks (heads off to get cutting from railway line embankment)

--
dave @ stejonda
Bring culture back to NTL.
http://www.performance-channel.com/

Buddleja problem revisited Glen Able United Kingdom 3 26-12-2005 12:50 PM
Buddleja lindleyana pruning Hazel United Kingdom 2 11-07-2005 01:57 PM
Sad buddleja Glen Able United Kingdom 8 06-05-2004 05:04 PM
Buddleja alternifolia Glen Able United Kingdom 0 26-04-2004 03:06 AM
Buddleja alternifolia Jane Ransom United Kingdom 13 23-04-2004 12:15 AM