Old 31-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Phil L

Default nettle soup / feed / stinky stuff!

Whatever the hell it is I don't know but it's enough to make your eyes water
at 20 paces!
...A few weeks ago I mentioned on here that I had a bin full of nettle tops,
along with roots, some bindweed and a few horsetails and someone advised
making a foliar feed by covering with water and letting nature take it's
course - it's been quite hot here and the thing stinks to high heaven, it
has a crust of flies on top about an inch thick and it's bubbling away like
a witches cauldron...my guess is that it's 'done'?

Who mentioned it and what am I to do with it? - I've watered a bit of it on
my tomatoes but not on the leaves, just onto the soil around them as I'm
sure I read that it needs to be diluted?

Also, there appears to be an enormous amount of tiny white flies hanging
around it, these look like whitefly to me, am I going to make things
worse? - my chillis are struggling with aphids as it is...

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 31-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Whatever the hell it is I don't know but it's enough to make your eyes water
at 20 paces!
..A few weeks ago I mentioned on here that I had a bin full of nettle tops,
along with roots, some bindweed and a few horsetails and someone advised
making a foliar feed by covering with water and letting nature take it's
course - it's been quite hot here and the thing stinks to high heaven, it
has a crust of flies on top about an inch thick and it's bubbling away like
a witches cauldron...my guess is that it's 'done'?

Who mentioned it and what am I to do with it? - I've watered a bit of it on
my tomatoes but not on the leaves, just onto the soil around them as I'm
sure I read that it needs to be diluted?

I think that you bathe in it, whereupon it will protect you from
catching colds and other diseases transmitted by close contact.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:51 AM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:38:07 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

[...]

I made some of that stuff...once!

You should water it down until the solution is a pale straw colour,
after which you can safely apply it to the leaves as a foliar feed.

A stronger solution can be used to water the roots.

It's one hell of a niff isn't it!!

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 01-06-2005, 05:51 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Phil L
writes

Who mentioned it and what am I to do with it? - I've watered a bit of it on
my tomatoes but not on the leaves, just onto the soil around them as I'm
sure I read that it needs to be diluted?

Yes, it seems as though you have too high a proportion of nettle leaves
to water. It can be diluted quite safely. We have been using nettle
infusion for many years both as an organic plant feed and as an insect
repellent, and it works very successfully for us. It does have a
characteristic 'farmyardy' odour, but that is very short lived and it is
an indication of the strength of the infusion. Fuller details of how to
make and use nettle infusion can be found in the urg FAQ [which I wrote]
at: http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Keep the lid on tight. We used to get groups of cyclists passing by on
the far side of a high hedge, and if I happened to be applying the
nettle-feed the tourists' distress cries as they rode into range, would
turn the air even bluer. Don't use it while the neighbours' are having
fun in their garden with guests, or you'll drive them all indoors and
won't be able to hear their amusing profanities and musical tastes.

Thanks for the thought: some strategically placed pieces of Oasis soaked
in it and placed a hundred yards short of my bus-stop in Norwich should
attenuate the noise from the BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM boys in their
chav-chariots as I wait for my bus.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/