Old 10-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Simon

Default Cat Dirt - urgghh

Hi all,

Can anybody recommend any products (non-harmful so no guns etc!!) to keep
cats from using my Lawn as a toilet.

Thanks in adavance
Simon

Old 10-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Andrew

I've just set up a herb garden in a place which was a favourite for the cats
to do the do. I have put down chopped leftover lemon pieces (basically the
bits that are left after squeezing the lemon), and also a ramekin of
vinegar.

So far after 1 week, no poo!

I don't know if the area you're wanting to cover is too big for this, but it
may be possible

Old 10-07-2004, 06:10 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Simon" wrote in message
Hi all,

Can anybody recommend any products (non-harmful so no guns etc!!) to keep
cats from using my Lawn as a toilet.

Thanks in adavance
Simon

It seems most unusual for cats to use a lawn as a toilet - they much prefer
freshly turned earth so they can dig and bury.

The only time I have had problems with cat crap on the lawn is when the
grass is left long enough to completely cover the crap, and it is only
discovered much later when the long moist grass is cut - the soggy crap is
usually covered in mould as well :-(

So, to stop them using the lawn, provide a small area of freshly turned
earth or a bed of sand and they are likely to use this instead.

Not as daft as it first sounds, perhaps. If you provide a place which is
attractive for them to crap in and where you are happy to leave it
unplanted, just to turn it over now and then, you could avoid problems with
the rest of the garden :-)

HTH
Dave R

Old 10-07-2004, 08:08 PM
NikV

"Simon" wrote in message
Hi all,

Can anybody recommend any products (non-harmful so no guns etc!!) to keep
cats from using my Lawn as a toilet.

Thanks in adavance
Simon

We bought one of those scarecrow devices - PIR activated sprinkler. Worked
really well, 3 days after use no poo, haven't used it since - still no poo
after 2 months. There are about 30 cats in the near vicinity including our
own, cutting the lawn short reduced the problem to 2 poos a night but tried
netting, citrus oil, vinegar repellent etc but still got a couple of poos.
The scarecrow soon stopped it both the kids managed to stay dry but my two
year old lad managed to turn the sensor on whilst I was in the line of fire
!!!!! and it caught the mother in law once, almost worth the cost for that
alone.

Got ours here http://www.koivision.co.uk/Scarecrow.htm?source=2097

I was thinking of selling it on through Ebay but its too soon yet - cats
might need a reminder, in fact one of our cats jumps a mile if I imitate
the noise whan she's outside !!

Nik V

Old 10-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Clair Voyance

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:03:25 +0100, "NikV"
wrote:

"Simon" wrote in message
[...]

This is a very good device and keeps the alley cats of south london
from our garden now. We use it maybe once a month for a few days to
scare off the cats, this still allows the birds, foxes etc to visit
without disturbance, don't seem to have much trouble with fox poo,
just weeing.

Old 11-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Just Molly

"Simon" wrote in message
Hi all,

Can anybody recommend any products (non-harmful so no guns etc!!) to keep
cats from using my Lawn as a toilet.

Thanks in adavance

Orange peel, mothballs, and products like 'keep off' which you can get from
pet shops. Have you actually seen a cat dumping on the lawn?

Old 11-07-2004, 12:10 AM
NikV

"Just Molly" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
Hi all,

Can anybody recommend any products (non-harmful so no guns etc!!) to

keep
cats from using my Lawn as a toilet.

Thanks in adavance

Orange peel, mothballs, and products like 'keep off' which you can get

from
pet shops. Have you actually seen a cat dumping on the lawn?

I've seen one of ours poo on the lawn and a different one (sandwich short of
a picnic) repeatedly batting neighbours mothballs around, I've only seen him
in their garden a few times, either when they tried the mothballs idea and
once when they installed one of those £50 pir activated ultrasonic things,
incidentally, these do appear to work (after old gormless had checked it
out), but a not as satisfying as the sprinkler type although the
sound/suddeness seems to be the factor here since each 'firing' only uses
half a cup of water. I would have assumed in all these methods that their
sucess would depend upon alternative sites for moggy to go and poo, in our
case we have a 10 acre scrub backing on to our fence so providing a hole
through the fence and a plank across the ditch gives a easy alternative.

Nik V

Old 11-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Peter James

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:52:38 +0100, Clair Voyance wrote:

This is a very good device and keeps the alley cats of south london from
our garden now. We use it maybe once a month for a few days to scare off
the cats, this still allows the birds, foxes etc to visit without
disturbance, don't seem to have much trouble with fox poo, just weeing.

I use an Electronic cat scarer. Cost me £40 plus £12 for a transformer.
I bought it two years ago and it works a treat. In the two years we've
used it we have seen but one cat in the garden, and that on edge and
obviously very uncomfortable. We are surrounded by cats, in fact our next
door neighbour has two of the little blighters. Our rear garden is
enclosed by a six foot high wooden fence, and that makes the control of cats a
little easier.
It might be a little more convenient than the device mentioned earlier in
the thread, inasmuch as it is easier to run a small electric cable to the
unit, rather than a hose pipe.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Nick Maclaren

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 08:39:40 +0100, Peter James
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:52:38 +0100, Clair Voyance wrote:

This is a very good device and keeps the alley cats of south london from
our garden now. We use it maybe once a month for a few days to scare off
the cats, this still allows the birds, foxes etc to visit without
disturbance, don't seem to have much trouble with fox poo, just weeing.

I use an Electronic cat scarer. Cost me £40 plus £12 for a transformer.
I bought it two years ago and it works a treat.

Really! you mean the ultrasonic things? Have you noticed if it affects
other wildlife such as fox or birds?

In the two years we've
used it we have seen but one cat in the garden, and that on edge and
obviously very uncomfortable. We are surrounded by cats, in fact our next
door neighbour has two of the little blighters. Our rear garden is
enclosed by a six foot high wooden fence, and that makes the control of cats a
little easier.

Never known a cat to be afraid of taking on a six foot fence, in fact
with ours not only did they jump on it, they appeared to go to sleep
on the top edge LOL

It might be a little more convenient than the device mentioned earlier in
the thread, inasmuch as it is easier to run a small electric cable to the
unit, rather than a hose pipe.

It's always good to hear if anything that works, though most of us
will have a water supply in the garden already.

We have just purchased a slug fence for a plot 30ft x 20ft to
experiment, looks good so far.

http://www.slugfence.com/hauptteil_index.html

This would be quite easy to make if you have a small metal workshop
nearby. And of course definitely non lethal.

This is an interesting hobby kit, hopefully it doesn't kill them,
handy for mice etc too I'd imagine

http://www.starch.dk/isi/energy/fence.htm

A sacrificial part of the garden also works well for attracting the
crawlies to an easier lunch.

Which all goes to show you don't need to kill everything in the
garden.

Old 11-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Mary Fisher

wrote:

We have just purchased a slug fence for a plot 30ft x 20ft to
experiment, looks good so far.

http://www.slugfence.com/hauptteil_index.html

This would be quite easy to make if you have a small metal workshop
nearby. And of course definitely non lethal.

But slugs come up through the ground too, they don't just 'walk' to

plants.

Mary

Old 11-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Franz Heymann

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:28:25 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

We have just purchased a slug fence for a plot 30ft x 20ft to
experiment, looks good so far.

http://www.slugfence.com/hauptteil_index.html

This would be quite easy to make if you have a small metal workshop
nearby. And of course definitely non lethal.

But slugs come up through the ground too, they don't just 'walk' to

plants.

Don't be silly, slugs are not worms. Whilst they can and do bury
themselves in hot/dry climate, they do not move "walk" underground.
When you put your fence up you may well find a few appear in the
initial days, but you simply place these outside the fence.

+------------------------+
| NO PLONKING ZONE |
+------------------------+
| | |
| | | |
..| |.. .| |..
...\| |/.... \| |/..

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.217% richest people in the world.
There are 5,986,950,449 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 13,049,551
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

---------------------------------------

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.

Need a fake diploma for fun? contact my collegues Malcolm Ogilvie
or Michael Saunby who both bought one and got one free, only $15 each,
have as many as you like www.fakediplomas.com
Old 11-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Mary Fisher

wrote:

We have just purchased a slug fence for a plot 30ft x 20ft to
experiment, looks good so far.

http://www.slugfence.com/hauptteil_index.html

This would be quite easy to make if you have a small metal workshop
nearby. And of course definitely non lethal.

But slugs come up through the ground too, they don't just 'walk' to

plants.

Don't be silly, slugs are not worms.

I didn't say they were.

They come up through the ground, they don't just travel over the surface of
soil.

Whilst they can and do bury
themselves in hot/dry climate, they do not move "walk" underground.

I didn't say that they did sigh

When you put your fence up you may well find a few appear in the
initial days, but you simply place these outside the fence.

I wish you luck.