Old 15-07-2004, 07:05 PM
hugh

Default clover in lawn

In message , BAC
writes

"Japmark" wrote in message
The reason for my question was because I have too much clover in my

opinion.
Half of my front lawn is almost pure clover, very little grass, therefore

was looking for something to control it.

And it is your opinion which counts, because it is your garden. Some people
like clover in the lawn, others don't, and vive la difference :-)

Exactly, it's just that every time someone asks for help on clover or
weed control in lawns they get deluged with the same posts from the same
people telling them what they should like.
--
hugh
Old 15-07-2004, 07:05 PM
hugh

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Alan Gould wrote in message
In article , Japmark
writes
This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.
What is the best way to get rid?

Clover is a natural companion plant to grass and it enjoys the same
management as grass. As others have already pointed out, clover releases
nitrogen into the soil each time it is cut off. Our lawn consists of
about 70 percent grass, 20 percent clover and 10 percent wild plants of
types which thrive in lawn management. That gives us a very suitable
family leisure and recreational area, it also acts as a wildlife haven
when we are not using it. We are very happy with it.

IMHO the notion of a 100 percent fine grass lawn is an illusion put out
by sellers of commercial lawn care preparations. It is seldom achieved
in reality, even by professional green-keepers.

This is absolutely sound. We've been conned into thinking there's
something desirable about a pure grass lawn, when in fact it takes
only a small shift in attitude to see one as a rather sterile expanse
of "green concrete". I think a daisy-free lawn, for example, is
depressing.

And I think the same about neat and tidy regimented bedding plants, but
I don't go round insulting those who prefer them and I don't berate then
for not growing thistles, a most beautiful plant, instead.

Each to his own.

--
hugh
Old 15-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Kay

In article , hugh
] writes

Good, and the OP prefers a lawn without it, so why shouldn't he have it so? No-
one is telling you to get rid of your clover are they?

I suppose one driver may be the desire not to encourage people to use
large amounts of herbicide and fertiliser. Our wild flowers are already
suffering because the huge amounts of fertiliser we use mean that the
grosser weeds like nettles and docks flourish, and the plants that have
adapted to live in poorer soils don't get a chance.

Standard advice on establishing a wild flower meadow is start by
reducing the fertility. Several years of no fertiliser, regular mowing,
and take away all cuttings.

OK, the OP doesn't want a wildflower meadow. But the more we encourage a
style of gardening dependent on high levels of fertiliser, the more we
contribute to high levels of nutrient in our wild countryside and in our
waterways, which is damaging the diversity of our countryside.

I'm prepared to accept a need for fertiliser application for food
production. But it's not something I want to do for purely recreational
purposes.
--
Kay

Old 16-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Mike Lyle

hugh ] wrote in message ...
In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Alan Gould wrote in message
In article , Japmark
writes
This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.
What is the best way to get rid?

[...]
IMHO the notion of a 100 percent fine grass lawn is an illusion put out
by sellers of commercial lawn care preparations. It is seldom achieved
in reality, even by professional green-keepers.

This is absolutely sound. We've been conned into thinking there's
something desirable about a pure grass lawn, when in fact it takes
only a small shift in attitude to see one as a rather sterile expanse
of "green concrete". I think a daisy-free lawn, for example, is
depressing.

And I think the same about neat and tidy regimented bedding plants, but
I don't go round insulting those who prefer them and I don't berate then
for not growing thistles, a most beautiful plant, instead.

Each to his own.

I hope I didn't berate anybody, or say anything insulting. And the bit
of my message you snipped out said I could see why a traditional tidy
lawn might be more desirable.

Mike.
Old 16-07-2004, 04:24 PM
hugh

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
hugh ] wrote in message
In message , BAC
writes

"Japmark" wrote in message
The reason for my question was because I have too much clover in my

opinion.
Half of my front lawn is almost pure clover, very little grass, therefore

was looking for something to control it.

And it is your opinion which counts, because it is your garden. Some people
like clover in the lawn, others don't, and vive la difference :-)

Exactly, it's just that every time someone asks for help on clover or
weed control in lawns they get deluged with the same posts from the same
people telling them what they should like.

"Deluged"? I'm not sure that half a dozen messages constitute a
deluge. Scarcely even a drizzle: more a light sprinkling, I'd say.

Same question, same answers: nothing wrong with that. If the OP hadn't
wanted a discussion around the subject he'd presumably have gone
straight to the garden centre instead of posting in a discussion
group.

Mike.

The OP asked for advice on removing clover from the lawn, not for a
discussion on the desirability or otherwise of covering it with weeds.
If you want to discuss that, start your own thread, then those of us
who are not interested can avoid it.
--
hugh
Old 16-07-2004, 04:24 PM
hugh

In message , Kay
writes
[...]

What high levels of fertiliser? So far this year, one dose in the spring
of fertiliser/moss killer/weed killer and that's it apart from 1/2 ton
of horticultural sharp sand. Oh yes and one squirt of spot weed killer
to remove a piece of clover which presumably had blown in from someone
else's weed patch.

The levels of nutrients in our waterways come from agriculture,
precisely the use of fertilisers of which you approve, or at least you
accept.
--
hugh
Old 16-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Douglas

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
hugh wrote:

In message , Howard
Neil writes

Japmark wrote:

This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.

You are fortunate. The clover will fix nitrogen from the air and save
you from having to apply fertilizer.

The benefit to the grass is minimal.

That is not the experience of livestock farmers who deliberately sow
clover in their grass fields.

********
To benefit the animals for whom the grass and clover was sown, - to whit, -
short grass for sheep which nibble, longer grass for oxen who wrap their
tongues around the tufts and pull them off, to be swallowed and put into
stomach No.1 which stores it until the animal can sit down, regurgitate it
and chew its cud , so to pass the cud into the next stomach. Clover is good
feed, tasty for the cattle, - who like it, - and is said to help milk
production.
Doug.
********

See:-

http://www.fao.org/docrep/V9968E/v9968e06.htm

http://www.fencepost.com/dairy/exper...dairy/expert/r
epository/20040517_163028_Establishing_White_Clover.xml
http://www.dpw.wageningen-ur.nl/biob/EDUCAT/msc302.htm

--
Howard Neil

Old 16-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Douglas

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Japmark
writes
This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.
What is the best way to get rid?

Clover is a natural companion plant to grass and it enjoys the same
management as grass. As others have already pointed out, clover releases
nitrogen into the soil each time it is cut off. Our lawn consists of
about 70 percent grass, 20 percent clover and 10 percent wild plants of
types which thrive in lawn management. That gives us a very suitable
family leisure and recreational area, it also acts as a wildlife haven
when we are not using it. We are very happy with it.

IMHO the notion of a 100 percent fine grass lawn is an illusion put out
by sellers of commercial lawn care preparations. It is seldom achieved
in reality, even by professional green-keepers.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

********
Sack immediately all the green-keepers of the Ancient Scottish golf courses
plus those 'wilderness' putting greens in
Georgia U.S,of A. Also the groundsmen who dug the hole at the penalty spot
and put our national Team out of the competition. (Don't blame that bloke
with the hideous tattoo across his neck , - he wuz robbed!)
They've All got it all wrong! (:^)
Doug.
********

Old 16-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Douglas

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , hugh
] writes

Good, and the OP prefers a lawn without it, so why shouldn't he have it

so? No-
one is telling you to get rid of your clover are they?

(Big Snip)

********

Has anyone ever tried :- - Heavy rake-up, : ---(Then )---Close mow, :
Heavy rake-up, : Heavy sowing with fresh new grass seed, : light tamping, :
Gentle water spraying , : Light tamping.
?
Worth a try, - doncherthink?.
B.T.W, :- For the best looking lawn for light use and no children, use
Australian Browntop and Australian Fescue grass-seeds in equal
quantities. They are not cheap.
Another BTW, :- I had the most beautiful lawn on the estate. Then in my
ignorance I wormed it. They scampered up to the top , wriggling all over
the lawn and I shovelled them all into a small bucket. and they perished
there.
Within a fortnight the grass went brown and the lawn became just like the
mudflats in Morecambe bay.
Doug.

********

Old 16-07-2004, 05:18 PM
BAC

"Douglas" wrote in message

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
hugh wrote:

In message ,

Howard
Neil writes

Japmark wrote:

[...]

You can have too much of a good thing, however, in which case there is a
risk of clover bloat. Not that it's got anything to do with domestic lawns,
of course.

Old 16-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Kay

In article , hugh
] writes

OK, the OP doesn't want a wildflower meadow. But the more we encourage a
style of gardening dependent on high levels of fertiliser, the more we
contribute to high levels of nutrient in our wild countryside and in our
waterways, which is damaging the diversity of our countryside.

I'm prepared to accept a need for fertiliser application for food
production. But it's not something I want to do for purely recreational
purposes.

What high levels of fertiliser? So far this year, one dose in the spring
of fertiliser/moss killer/weed killer and that's it apart from 1/2 ton
of horticultural sharp sand. Oh yes and one squirt of spot weed killer
to remove a piece of clover which presumably had blown in from someone
else's weed patch.

Well, that's still more than I use ;-)

The levels of nutrients in our waterways come from agriculture,
precisely the use of fertilisers of which you approve, or at least you
accept.

No - I'm prepared to accept if it is necessary. I've not made my mind
up on that.
--
Kay

Old 21-07-2004, 09:13 PM
hugh

In message , Kay
writes
In article , hugh
] writes

OK, the OP doesn't want a wildflower meadow. But the more we encourage a
style of gardening dependent on high levels of fertiliser, the more we
contribute to high levels of nutrient in our wild countryside and in our
waterways, which is damaging the diversity of our countryside.

I'm prepared to accept a need for fertiliser application for food
production. But it's not something I want to do for purely recreational
purposes.

What high levels of fertiliser? So far this year, one dose in the spring
of fertiliser/moss killer/weed killer and that's it apart from 1/2 ton
of horticultural sharp sand. Oh yes and one squirt of spot weed killer
to remove a piece of clover which presumably had blown in from someone
else's weed patch.

Well, that's still more than I use ;-)

But hardly "high level", and not affecting the levels of nutrient in our
wild countryside and in our waterways as you alleged, so please withdraw
you comment.
The levels of nutrients in our waterways come from agriculture,
precisely the use of fertilisers of which you approve, or at least you
accept.

No - I'm prepared to accept if it is necessary. I've not made my mind
up on that.

Well go away and decide what you mean b4 going into print.
--
hugh
Old 21-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Mike Lyle

hugh ] wrote in message ...
In message , Mike Lyle
writes
hugh ] wrote in message
In message , BAC
writes

"Japmark" wrote in message
[...]

Let's not get obsessive here! I'm sorry I wasted your time, and
clearly irritated you. The same to the OP, too, if he cares to express
similar sentiments.

Mike.
Old 21-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Kay

In article , hugh
] writes
In message , Kay
writes
In article , hugh
] writes

[...]

Of course it affects it. Gardens and countryside are intermixed,
waterways go through both. Your personal use of fertiliser may not have
much effect, but I was talking about an overall philosophy of gardening
which regards regular fertiliser, pesticide and weedkiller use as a
necessity. If you read what I said, I was suggesting that a dislike of
this approach might be why people were suggesting that a pure grass lawn
was not necessarily to be desired. I did not in my original post comment
on your personal use of fertilisers.

The levels of nutrients in our waterways come from agriculture,
precisely the use of fertilisers of which you approve, or at least you
accept.

No - I'm prepared to accept if it is necessary. I've not made my mind
up on that.

Well go away and decide what you mean b4 going into print.

I meant precisely what I said. I'm sorry that I didn't say what you
wanted me to say in order to suit your attack.

--
Kay