Old 14-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Japmark

Default clover in lawn

This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.
What is the best way to get rid?

Old 14-07-2004, 02:15 PM
redclay

Use a broadleaf herbicide every three weeks until it is gone.

Old 15-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Howard Neil

Japmark wrote:

This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.

You are fortunate. The clover will fix nitrogen from the air and save
you from having to apply fertilizer.

--
Howard Neil
Old 15-07-2004, 01:18 PM
hugh

In message , Howard
Neil writes
Japmark wrote:

This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.

You are fortunate. The clover will fix nitrogen from the air and save
you from having to apply fertilizer.

The benefit to the grass is minimal. To get rid of clover use a liquid
lawn weed killer such as Verdone. For application see the label on the
bottle. ( Note Verdone extra only one application per season. Once
you've got it down to manageable proportions you can use apply as
required with a spray bottle. Within a couple of seasons your lawn will
be essentially weed free and then you will only need occasional
application, unless of course you have the misfortune to live adjacent
to someone who likes to grow every wed possible in their lawn.
--
hugh
Old 15-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Howard Neil

hugh wrote:

In message , Howard
Neil writes

Japmark wrote:

This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.

You are fortunate. The clover will fix nitrogen from the air and save
you from having to apply fertilizer.

The benefit to the grass is minimal.

That is not the experience of livestock farmers who deliberately sow
clover in their grass fields. See:-

http://www.fao.org/docrep/V9968E/v9968e06.htm
http://www.fencepost.com/dairy/exper...ite_Clover.xml
http://www.dpw.wageningen-ur.nl/biob/EDUCAT/msc302.htm

--
Howard Neil

Old 15-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Japmark
writes
This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.
What is the best way to get rid?

Vary your expectations and consider it as free nitrogenous fertiliser.
Regular close cropping will disguise it pretty well. I leave clover in
my lawn deliberately - it does no harm unless it is meant to be a
bowling green.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 15-07-2004, 01:40 PM
hugh

In message ,
Howard Neil writes
hugh wrote:

In message ,
Howard Neil writes

Japmark wrote:

This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.

You are fortunate. The clover will fix nitrogen from the air and
save you from having to apply fertilizer.

The benefit to the grass is minimal.

That is not the experience of livestock farmers who deliberately sow
clover in their grass fields. See:-

They don't feed graze their livestock on lawns - at least not
deliberately.
--
hugh
Old 15-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Howard Neil

hugh wrote:

In message ,
Howard Neil writes

hugh wrote:

In message ,
Howard Neil writes

Japmark wrote:

This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.

You are fortunate. The clover will fix nitrogen from the air and
save you from having to apply fertilizer.

The benefit to the grass is minimal.

That is not the experience of livestock farmers who deliberately sow
clover in their grass fields. See:-

They don't feed graze their livestock on lawns - at least not deliberately.

Maybe not but the effect of nitrogen fixing is the same. The point is
that it is more economical to buy and sow clover seed than fertilizer.

A lot depends on the desired effect of course but there seems to be an
automatic desire to remove clover from lawns with no consideration to
the benefits. It is as if there is a presumption that clover is bad for
a lawn.

I have clover both in my fields and in my lawn. I need to occasionally
add farmyard manure to the fields to help support livestock but I have
yet to add any fertilizer of any description to my lawn and the grass is
in excellent condition.

--
Howard Neil
Old 15-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Japmark
writes
This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.
What is the best way to get rid?

Clover is a natural companion plant to grass and it enjoys the same
management as grass. As others have already pointed out, clover releases
nitrogen into the soil each time it is cut off. Our lawn consists of
about 70 percent grass, 20 percent clover and 10 percent wild plants of
types which thrive in lawn management. That gives us a very suitable
family leisure and recreational area, it also acts as a wildlife haven
when we are not using it. We are very happy with it.

IMHO the notion of a 100 percent fine grass lawn is an illusion put out
by sellers of commercial lawn care preparations. It is seldom achieved
in reality, even by professional green-keepers.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 15-07-2004, 04:03 PM
BAC

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Japmark
writes
This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.
What is the best way to get rid?

Clover is a natural companion plant to grass and it enjoys the same
management as grass. As others have already pointed out, clover releases
nitrogen into the soil each time it is cut off. Our lawn consists of
about 70 percent grass, 20 percent clover and 10 percent wild plants of
types which thrive in lawn management. That gives us a very suitable
family leisure and recreational area, it also acts as a wildlife haven
when we are not using it. We are very happy with it.

IMHO the notion of a 100 percent fine grass lawn is an illusion put out
by sellers of commercial lawn care preparations. It is seldom achieved
in reality, even by professional green-keepers.

Fair enough, but if the original poster wants to keep down the clover in his
lawn, that's up to him. If he does, he could try raking the clover patches
before mowing; ensuring the lawn is well watered and applying lawn sand in
the spring. Then, of course, he could use a selective weedkiller if he
wishes. Clover is quite resistant to 2.4-D, so he would be advised to use
something with additional components to ensure a broad spread of
effectiveness, e.g. Verdone. One application about now should do the trick.
Naturally, he should read the label and follow the instructions, before
using any pesticide.

Old 15-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Japmark

The reason for my question was because I have too much clover in my opinion.
Half of my front lawn is almost pure clover, very little grass, therefore I
was looking for something to control it.

"BAC" wrote in message

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Japmark
writes

Old 15-07-2004, 05:03 PM
BAC

"Japmark" wrote in message
The reason for my question was because I have too much clover in my

opinion.
Half of my front lawn is almost pure clover, very little grass, therefore

was looking for something to control it.

And it is your opinion which counts, because it is your garden. Some people
like clover in the lawn, others don't, and vive la difference :-)

Old 15-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Mike Lyle

Alan Gould wrote in message ...
In article , Japmark
writes
This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.
What is the best way to get rid?

Clover is a natural companion plant to grass and it enjoys the same
management as grass. As others have already pointed out, clover releases
nitrogen into the soil each time it is cut off. Our lawn consists of
about 70 percent grass, 20 percent clover and 10 percent wild plants of
types which thrive in lawn management. That gives us a very suitable
family leisure and recreational area, it also acts as a wildlife haven
when we are not using it. We are very happy with it.

IMHO the notion of a 100 percent fine grass lawn is an illusion put out
by sellers of commercial lawn care preparations. It is seldom achieved
in reality, even by professional green-keepers.

This is absolutely sound. We've been conned into thinking there's
something desirable about a pure grass lawn, when in fact it takes
only a small shift in attitude to see one as a rather sterile expanse
of "green concrete". I think a daisy-free lawn, for example, is
depressing.

But in the garden there is always a but: near the house it's perfectly
reasonable to want no bare patches where herbaceous plants have died
back for the winter; and to get the full wildflower effect for
ourselves and wildlife, some areas at least will have to be allowed to
blow, which inevitably means scruffiness later on. So I have some
sympathy with a moderately tidy-minded approach, especially in a
typical small garden, or a lawn open to the street.

Mike.
Old 15-07-2004, 06:17 PM

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:22:54 +0100, Howard Neil
wrote:

That is not the experience of livestock farmers who deliberately sow
clover in their grass fields. See:-

http://www.dpw.wageningen-ur.nl/biob/EDUCAT/msc302.htm

Shum mishtake? The motivation for spraying manure on fields in NL is
that just the pig industry produces enough crap to cover the whole of
the Netherlands in 3" of pig crap per annum.

Enjoy your bacon.
--
Martin
Old 15-07-2004, 07:05 PM
hugh

In message , Alan Gould
writes
In article , Japmark
writes
This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.
What is the best way to get rid?

Clover is a natural companion plant to grass and it enjoys the same
management as grass. As others have already pointed out, clover releases
nitrogen into the soil each time it is cut off. Our lawn consists of
about 70 percent grass, 20 percent clover and 10 percent wild plants of
types which thrive in lawn management. That gives us a very suitable
family leisure and recreational area, it also acts as a wildlife haven
when we are not using it. We are very happy with it.

Good, and the OP prefers a lawn without it, so why shouldn't he have it
so? No-one is telling you to get rid of your clover are they?
IMHO the notion of a 100 percent fine grass lawn is an illusion put out
by sellers of commercial lawn care preparations. It is seldom achieved
in reality, even by professional green-keepers.

You may be right but who has suggested otherwise?
--
hugh