Old 16-07-2004, 03:14 AM
Sarah Dale

Default Dying Weeping Willow

Hi All,

My weeping willow (one of these small ones with a standard type main trunk
and a mop head at the top) seems to be dying or even dead.

Last year and all previous years that I've known it (it came with the
house), including the year i moved it, it has been very healthy with
cvatkins, and a full set of leaves.

This year I've had no leaves, and the branches have gown brown and dry. Over
the roads younger model wich wasn't doing so well, looks fantastic this
year.

Any clues on what might have got my tree? And is it worth pruning hard in
the hopes that it might regrow in the spring?

TIA,

Sarah
Old 16-07-2004, 05:17 AM
Kay

In article , Sarah Dale
writes
Hi All,

My weeping willow (one of these small ones with a standard type main trunk
and a mop head at the top) seems to be dying or even dead.

Mine did that too.

Any clues on what might have got my tree? And is it worth pruning hard in
the hopes that it might regrow in the spring?

Might be worth pruning very hard, but since the graft is at the top of
the stem, any branch which has died that far back isn't gong to
regenerate.
--
Kay

Old 16-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Philip

Sarah Dale wrote in message ...
Hi All,

My weeping willow (one of these small ones with a standard type main trunk
and a mop head at the top) seems to be dying or even dead.

Last year and all previous years that I've known it (it came with the
house), including the year i moved it, it has been very healthy with
cvatkins, and a full set of leaves.

This year I've had no leaves, and the branches have gown brown and dry. Over
the roads younger model wich wasn't doing so well, looks fantastic this
year.

Any clues on what might have got my tree? And is it worth pruning hard in
the hopes that it might regrow in the spring?

TIA,

Sarah

Lost a Contorted Willow two years ago, similar kind of symptoms. When
I cut it down I found Honeyfungus. If you have this it is pretty
terminal I can tell you.

To chech for Honeyfungus. Dig down and find a root. Scrape away the
covering and see if there is a whitish substance between the root bark
and the root wood.

Hope its not Honeyfungus

Phil
Old 21-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Brian

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
Sarah Dale wrote in message

[...]

__________
This seems to be quite terminal and due to honey fungus [or
similar] as Phil suggests.
The plant had been grafted and it seems as if both stock and
scion are dead.
To check~~ Cut/prune one of the branches. A brown ring will
indicate death. Continue with the cutting to see if any part is green. The
main upright can be scraped to look for any green parts~if none then death
is 100% certain.
Do not plant a replacement within 20' or you will be asking for a
repetition.
Sorry not to be of further help.
Brian.

Old 22-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Brian

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
Sarah Dale wrote in message

[...]

moving a 15foot high weeping willow R P McMurphy United Kingdom 19 01-09-2003 01:03 AM
Weeping Willow - Root Depth Mike Gardening 2 02-08-2003 03:22 AM
[IBC] Weeping willow was Madrona? Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 09:08 PM
Weeping Willow Problem dixie Texas 6 18-04-2003 03:44 PM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 08:44 AM